• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Additions to your Relious Practice

Corthos

Great Old One
As one continues down their religious (or spiritual) path, they will often add practices or rituals that are entirely of their own creation. Sometimes these practices are done to better honor their God(s)/spirits/ancestors in a personal way, and sometimes these additions just make more sense to them compared to the traditional way of doing things (in a practical sense).

What are some of the things you do differently (that only you do), and why? =)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
As one continues down their religious (or spiritual) path, they will often add practices or rituals that are entirely of their own creation. Sometimes these practices are done to better honor their God(s)/spirits/ancestors in a personal way, and sometimes these additions just make more sense to them compared to the traditional way of doing things (in a practical sense).

What are some of the things you do differently, and why? =)

I try not to be too Buddhist-"like". ;0)

I pay almost no attention to the doings or words of humans, transferring it, instead, to nature and its many beings.
In so doing, I come ever more, to resemble them, doing little or no harm, either to them, or to myself.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

. . . as little as possible.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

A lot of ancestral religions are heavy in culture, tradition, and routine practice. I have no thick culture, tradition in spiritualist religions are a multitude, but everyone seems to agree on ritual and discipline.

That's not my thing, though. As an artist I like being free to create and not feel I'm obligated (positive perspective not indoctrination) to light a candle. So, I do so when I'm called to. Mostly I paint rather than light candles these days.

Many cultural traditions use art as a means of worship and praise. I guess I'm developing my own traditions in that sense. My personal additions are a result of lack of community and culture of people with like minds. Spiritualists are not dogmatic nor traditional but we do focus on the foundation of many beliefs which is spirit, healing, and community.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I do visual meditation, I listen to music to help quiet and focus my mind. My choice of music is idiosyncratic.

Corthos

Great Old One
I pay almost no attention to the doings or words of humans, transferring it, instead, to nature and its many beings.
In so doing, I come ever more, to resemble them, doing little or no harm, either to them, or to myself.

Hmmm... I see the value in that philosophy, but I don't think if I could ever practice it myself.

A lot of ancestral religions are heavy in culture, tradition, and routine practice. I have no thick culture, tradition in spiritualist religions are a multitude, but everyone seems to agree on ritual and discipline.

That's not my thing, though. As an artist I like being free to create and not feel I'm obligated (positive perspective not indoctrination) to light a candle. So, I do so when I'm called to. Mostly I paint rather than light candles these days.

Many cultural traditions use art as a means of worship and praise. I guess I'm developing my own traditions in that sense. My personal additions are a result of lack of community and culture of people with like minds. Spiritualists are not dogmatic nor traditional but we do focus on the foundation of many beliefs which is spirit, healing, and community.

Interesting. =) You have a very unique way of doing things.

When I do visual meditation, I listen to music to help quiet and focus my mind. My choice of music is idiosyncratic.

Can I ask about what you focus on for your visual meditations? BTW, are you practicing any particular religious tradition if you don't mind my asking?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
... Can I ask about what you focus on for your visual meditations? BTW, are you practicing any particular religious tradition if you don't mind my asking?
As a follower of Meher Baba, I focus on his image. I don't practice any traditional religion but I do love reading helpful messages from all from Jewish Baal Shem Tov, Hindu Ramakrishna, Islamic Sufis such as Rumi and Hafiz, Christians such as St. Francis of Assisi and so forth.