• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perpective of two of the Three Jewels.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My questions are near the end. This works best if you read the post in full so you know the context behind the questions. If you would like to answer just the questions, give some context.

I know there will be answers such as "it is both" or "it is none of the both" or "that's hard to answer" or "you'll have to find that yourself". I know I'm missing a few that I see on RF alot.

I understand that. These questions is more for intellectual not "seeking" (information rather than only advice) so come from that perspective please with resources such as any sutra references If possible.

--
I am trying to look at the Dharma more closely to apply it to my own life. I acknowledge the Three Jewels, and (1) I find a lot of emphasis on Shakyamuni Buddha (the original Buddha rather than specifically our Buddhanature) when it comes to actually seeing and talking to people in person who are Buddhist by culture rather than conversion or philosophy. They give offerings and such to the Buddha and so forth. It isn't purely philosophical. It's a religion.

2. We have traditions that acknowledge the Buddha but give more emphasis on the Dharma (I am thinking of Zen at the moment; I could be wrong). They are more practicing the Buddhas teachings and finding meaning in them and not necessarily asking the Buddha, Himself, for blessings. Different direction.

3. While the tradition I am in puts more emphasis on the Sangha. We consider ourselves as Boddhisattvas of the Earth. That is as a whole. Of course, each sect has their own direction. Nichiren Shu doesn't put that much emphasis on evangalization as Shoshu and SGI. Evangalization isn't as strict in SGI as it is in Shoshu. (This last fact I know from personal experience). They focus on what they can do for the Buddhas as a whole rather than, in regards to SGI, focusing on the Dharma and both SGI and Shoshu giving any if any respect to Shakyamuni.

All three I just mentioned have emphasis on separate "Jewels." They incorporate all three, I know. The other two aren't exclusions.
-
Question: Okay. Bare with me here. Is placing emphasis on the Buddha (the Original Buddha ex. asking him for blessings) the same as looking to the Dharma for blessings? Are they one and the same?

I believe we each have a Buddhanature. So when we ask for blessings to the Gohonzon, we are asking our life (or our Buddhanature) to grant us blessings. We aren't asking the original Buddha as people did in the sutras and the first highlighted note. If I asked the Buddha for blessings (which I have done with my friend at a Thai temple), I was speaking "to the Dharma".

From what you know and practice as a Buddhist, who are you asking for blessings:
Question: The Buddha or the Dharma?

(If it is both, which has more emphasis? If there is no emphasis then why use one name than another? Is there a central word for Buddha or Dharma if you decide that both are one and the same? I heard the term BuddhaDharma used, would that be it?)

My opinion: (Thinking of a "five reasons you cant find the right religion" thread) I know my faith: values, and so forth. Maybe I am looking for perfection, I don't know. We are not perfect in our strengtening our faiths. That is not the point of this thread.

Question: I know the Three Jewels are interconnected. Why do some tradition seem to put more emphasis on one than the other? Is it really more emphasis or a preference in terms to refer to all three by addressing one person? When making offerings to the Buddha (his image) are they making offerings to the original Buddha or the Dharma? If it is both (which I assume most people would say it is), then why traditions separate emphasis? If it is not both, how do traditions justify that the Buddha, for example is worthy of praise but when it comes to the Sangha, it is not seen as highly valued (as in, not the source of worship but the result of it) it is not seen the same?

The lasts questions are not questions for answers but just questioning out loud.

Nam.
:leafwind:

Last edited:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Both Buddha and Dharma can lead to 0neness; thus you should ask the origin of everything overall, and not make idols. :innocent:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Both Buddha and Dharma can lead to 0neness; thus you should ask the origin of everything overall, and not make idols. :innocent:

Em. We say the Gohonzon and Law. Which, is the Dharma. That's the way we refer to our Buddhanature within. No idol. From an intellectual view not advice, do all three mean the same or does the emphasis on one than the other mean different things to different traditions?

In our faith, the Dharma anything outside the Lotus Sutra are called provisional teachings. Those teachings are where Nichiren Shonin emphasized not to depend on text, Buddha statues, and such but on our nature (the Myo) within us. I am just wondering why different traditions focus on one aspect of the Jewels or are they interconnected and seem the same even though they are refereed to separately?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I'm not sure on the religious specifics of different schools; yet in my understanding everything stems from Nirvana (0neness), like it being the ocean, Buddha understood how to balance on the stream of Dharma, that flows from its core. ;)

Within any understanding, it depends on a person's own level of enlightenment, to the level of their perception...The lower you go, the more divisions you find; the higher, the more you understand all is one. :innocent: