• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect Cornbread

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
1 c. flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg
1 c. milk (or water)

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Place 1/3 cup of oil in bottom of cast iron skillet and preheat (VERY IMPORTANT!!!).

Mix dry ingredients into bowl.

Mix liquids separate then add to dry ingredients. Remove skillet from oven and carefully pour mixture into hot skillet. Contents of mixture should look similar to pancake batter. Some oil in bottom of skillet will come over sides of mixture. (This will give it a little crunch to the corn bread.) Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden.

My cornbread:

kateyes

That is one beautiful pan of cornbread--I can almost smell it. The cast iron skillet is vital. For a little varition--drain a small can of diced green chilis and add to the wet mix. My dad always takes left-over cornbread and crumbles it in a glass of buttermilk for a late evening treat.

A

angellous_evangellous

kateyes said:
That is one beautiful pan of cornbread--I can almost smell it. The cast iron skillet is vital. For a little varition--drain a small can of diced green chilis and add to the wet mix. My dad always takes left-over cornbread and crumbles it in a glass of buttermilk for a late evening treat.

I hate buttermilk. We don't talk about that kind of stuff at the dinner-table in my house.

Cornbread is just fine in regular whole milk. :drool:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maize said:
1 c. flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg
1 c. milk (or water)

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Place 1/3 cup of oil in bottom of cast iron skillet and preheat (VERY IMPORTANT!!!).

Mix dry ingredients into bowl.

Mix liquids separate then add to dry ingredients. Remove skillet from oven and carefully pour mixture into hot skillet. Contents of mixture should look similar to pancake batter. Some oil in bottom of skillet will come over sides of mixture. (This will give it a little crunch to the corn bread.) Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden.
Sugar? Ack! You...Yankee you! :D

btw, if you're making it for someone with a gluten allergy, I recommend Corn Flour instead of wheat flour, if you can find it, but Brown Rice flour will do if you can't. NOT white rice flour -- makes it gummy...yuck!

Oh, and if you're ever wondering how to make meatloaf for gluten allergy, just use the stale cornbread in place of crackers or oatmeal. Works wonderfully.

For dairy allergy, I would'nt use the water myself. It loses a certain richness. I use soy milk if I can, and one of the nut milks if I can't. Rice milk is better than water, but not by a lot. Still, that's what I have to use when my business partner is eating over, and it's fine.

Ooh, now I have to think of an excuse to make cornbread tomorrow...this looks really good.

A

angellous_evangellous

Maize said:
My mom always made the sweet cornbread, it's what I'm use to. :shrug:

But it was the damn Yankees that brot the sugared cornbread to Dixie.

Along with running water and electricity.:149:

evearael

And I just got back from the grocery store. :( I'll have to wait until the weekend to make it. I'm hungry just looking at it.