• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Percentages in Heathenry and Ásatrú

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Percentages of asshats v. non-asshats that is. Let me explain...

You all know how I practice Ásatrú, what I believe and how I believe. I have been run off reddit, and it now looks like at Facebook (I know, I know :rolleyes:) I'm becoming the object of ridicule. And for nothing more than the things I talk about here.

One was for saying that the core of Heathenry is living a good honorable life, venerating the ancestors, hospitality and helping others. I got my tongue stepped on for that in the worst way. Then it was saying that as I point out, no one is what they really think they are. It was in response to comments about ancestry. The latest is my use of the word 'viking' as a proper name for the people instead of strictly as the occupation.

I mean... is it me? I know I come off as brash at times. What am I doing wrong? Do I truly not know what Heathenry is about? Or am I just finding all the asshats? Or am I the asshat? I'm really wondering... :confused:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I haven't been around for a while, so I don't know the situations you are describing, but I have never found you to be an asshat. I have noticed that many Astruars are very very vocal in their opinions, and that tends to run people off I think. It's definitely a problem I have. I have no issue defending my opinions, or voicing them when I disagree with someone. That tends to be seen as brash and rude, but I don't think so.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. It's never happened here, and in fact I've gauged the general tone and temperament of Heathens based on the group here. I definitely am sheltered and naive, so that's a part of it.

What I've seen elsewhere is a cliquishness, a defensiveness and an attitude of "we're not going to help you learn, but you must do it our way". Ironic that they promote orthopraxy but talk orthodoxy.

I'm still getting notifications of childish messages this morning, not addressed to me, but about me. This is even though I left the group.

My concern is that if I ever met and joined a kindred, is this what I have to look forward to? I guess I could have kept this rant simple by simply saying I've found a disturbing lack of frith in on-line communities.

I don't want to sound full of myself but some times I think maybe I am a better Heathen than I think I am.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This phone won't let me edit but I just want to add that it's one thing to disagree as.we do here, but it's another thing to be nasty and childish about it. Maybe it's only that certain sites attract a certain mentality and that becomes the general tone. I'd like to believe that.

Theweirdtophat

I haven't seen you display any asshattery, so I think you've just ran into the wrong people. Say what's on your mind. You can't please everyone.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I think you're right that I just had a run of bad luck with those two groups. I don't know how long they've been practicing, but they are full of themselves. I told one guy, who doesn't even have a Scandi name, to tell Magnus Samuelsson he's not a Viking... Samuelsson coined the phrase "Viking Power!" Samuelsson is 6'7" and 344 lbs. This guy says he would get in Samuelsson's face and tell him he's not Viking. That takes a real set. I'm still getting notifications of messages they're posting on the page. I reported the whole page to Facebook admin for harassment. Maybe this thread should have gone into a Rants section, but I put it here since it was specifically about my practice of Heathenry and Asatru.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
It was in response to comments about ancestry. The latest is my use of the word 'viking' as a proper name for the people instead of strictly as the occupation.
The problem derives from the 19th century Scandinavian-Germanic Romanticism. Until then, 'Viking' was largely used just as a term for the Norse & Germanics who went raiding. Before then, Heathen or Northman, or Goth/Vandal was used to describe the culture as a whole.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear you, and I tried to explain that; that words and language change. Kind of like kleenex (with a small k) was one specific brand but is now a generic word. But they'd have none of it. People don't know who the Norse, Vandals, Heathens (except for "Godless heathens") or Goths were (except for the pale kids in black), but historically correct or incorrect everyone knows what a Viking is. It rapidly descended into me being called a useless turd, among a few other things. It's almost amusing how they all gave likes to each other. It was definitely high school antics... from adults.

What really disturbs me is making a reference to where I work. This is one reason I'm not a fan of social media, because you are too public. A cousin persuaded me to re-activate my account so we could all keep in touch. If it doesn't stop, despite a message to the owner of the page, and a report to FB admin I may just tell my family what happened and deactivate my account. It's all my own fault for being so damn naive and trusting, so maybe I deserve this.

GoodbyeDave

One was for saying that the core of Heathenry is living a good honorable life, venerating the ancestors, hospitality and helping others.
That seems obvious to me, though you might have put in a word for the gods...

I mean... is it me? I know I come off as brash at times. What am I doing wrong?
I never find you objectionable, unlike some people here whom I'd happily nominate as targets for an arse-kicking competition. The internet does bring out the worst in some people, who probably wouldn't say boo to a goose in the flesh.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That seems obvious to me, though you might have put in a word for the gods...

I'm sure I did. I was a little rattled when I wrote the o.p. :p

I never find you objectionable, unlike some people here whom I'd happily nominate as targets for an arse-kicking competition. The internet does bring out the worst in some people, who probably wouldn't say boo to a goose in the flesh.

Thanks. I suppose you are right. I should have enough experience to know that people would never be as rude in person as they are on the internet. Be that as it may, no matter what you do you'll never redeem yourself in an on-line community once you're marked. I've seen noobs run off weight training sites because they asked the "wrong" questions.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
On a more positive note, because they say good occasionally comes out of bad. Yeah I know, melodrama is melodramatic. :D

I came across two blog posts that address whether one is Heathen enough or not, and solitary practice. The first one is pretty long but it was worth the read. She addresses a couple of points Why I Am Not an Heathen (Though I Kind of Wish That I Could Be) | Pagan Church Lady

This one is shorter but I think it's pretty good Solitary Asatru: Why I call myself Heathen as is this one Solitary Asatru: Solitary Blots in secret.

Coming across these underscores that there is no single way, and no one person's way is the "right" way or another person's is the "wrong" way.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I am a Heathen.

I'm not a Viking. Neither am I a Saxon, Goth, Vandal, Angle, Jute, Frii, Suebi, Cherusci, or any of the Old Tribes. The Tribe I regard myself a part of consists of my family and close friends, and we have no need to name ourselves, nor are we necessarily united by Heathenry; we have a variety of religious beliefs. We're united by shared geekery.

Heathenry isn't the name of a Tribe, and thus doesn't get to be an exclusionary term. It's the name of a type of religious practice. The reason I don't often use Asatru is because that word seems to implicitly reference the Norse form of Germanic Polytheism, while I follow a personal variant of the Anglo-Saxon/English form. However, that's an implicit reference, not a Tribal identifier. Regardless of what it's called, it's the name of a religion in the modern conception of what religion is, and so Heathens saying so-and-so Heathen isn't one, to me, is no different than certain Christian groups calling other Christian groups "not Christian" for reasons of disagreement.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
My god, man, the reddit community is a vile bunch of imbeciles. Don't be discouraged through that avenue of d-bags.

The trolls have no accountability nor do they find press in being held accountable for their words.

I hate reddits community, honestly, sift through some of the comments in that piece.

It's the largest community on the internet and they're imbeciles, I stick to the news sections; that's about it.

Northman or Norseman is the appropriate term, I believe, since Scandinavian isn't good enough for Norway and Sweden.

Heathen is a derogatory term used by Chri

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh great! now he tells me! :D

Actually @Quintessence said the same thing after I mentioned reddit. I think I've learned my lesson now. ;)

I have a theory that people take their frustrations out on others through the anonymity of the internet.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Oh great! now he tells me! :D

Actually @Quintessence said the same thing after I mentioned reddit. I think I've learned my lesson now. ;)

I have a theory that people take their frustrations out on others through the anonymity of the internet.

Yes, like cowards. The computer terminal is a place of power for feeble people.

I still try not to get wise with strangers to often in life or the internet.

Don't sweat it, and don't take the web to seriously. A lot of people are trolls or agents of another agenda, it's not worth get shook up over.

Toxikmynd

Demir
People generally just find it weird.. It's like when you tell your Christian family that you're becoming Jewish or Muslim, they're gonna act weird and get hostile usually.. Not always though I hate to generalize.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I found that those two groups are a minority. I've since joined a couple of Facebook groups and so far found they are closely monitored and moderated. They don't take any crap. There are disagreements, but they are civil.