• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People who LOVE to travel

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Completely random question [relates to something I'm working on]:

Let us forget reality here for a moment, or at least some aspects of it, and say that you are offered a job as a trucker. Oh great, you think, and right before you're about to decline the good gentleman's offer, he goes into details: you would be using roads only other truckers use. You would be able to go as fast as the truck can tolerate, no speed limits. Every day you will have a rest in a 5-star hotel for free. Your routes will be switched up, unless you like a particular road, in which case you can make a claim to it for your particular line of delivery. You would only have to work 20-25 hours a week, but you would be constantly around the country. The pays good too.

Decline? Accept? Think about it? Does having a family factor into it? What if they were allowed to come with you?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Hon, I grew up in Michigan. We Michigeese are known for being willing to drive damn near anything damn near anywhere. As lousy as my health is, I'll still manage a road trip if I can find an excuse.

I rescued my business partner from Florida twice in one year. It was a nice excuse for a 10 hour drive. :) Her relatives thought I was barking mad until they realized I was from Michigan. Since they know lots of "snowbirds" in Florida they understood that it wasn't madness. Just love of driving induced from living too close to Detroit and too many brain cells kills in winter cold. :D

I suspect people from Ontario are just as crazy. The two license plates I see all over this continent are from Michigan and Ontario.

Having a family? Well, the bigger factor would be health. But putting that aside, I'd go for it. And with technology today who knows? I might bring Eibhlin with me. Homeschooling can be done pretty much anywhere.

It might make it tough getter her to dance lessons though. :D

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I LOVE road trips!!!

I'd do it!!!

Especially at this point of life if I wasn't going to be at university because I am not tied down with anyone or anything. Just as long as I can bring my music and a guitar for the stops I'd be happy. But I'd prefer to work for more than the 20 - 25 hours. I think I'd get bored. But then again - who can really get bored in a city you don't know?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Working 20 - 25 hours a week and getting paid to do so for driving a truck?
Hell yeah I would take that job. I wouldn't even have to consider the private roads and 5 star hotels.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'd decline. My home life would suffer and even if I was single I'd miss my friends too much like BB said. The job I have now is perfect. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I might go for it. I think the deciding factor would be what happens when I'm not actually working. If I spend most of my time other than my 20-25 working hours sitting in a hotel in a town where I don't know anyone, I'd have to think long and hard about it. If that driving time was crunched into a couple of days and I spent most of the rest of my time off at home, I wouldn't have to think long.

Decline. It has a friends factor. And I would miss my computer too much.
Plenty of truckers have laptops these days, and just about every truck stop I've been in in the last couple of years has had a wireless hot-spot. I think most are run by companies that operate many hot spots across wide areas, so you could probably just pay one or two subscription fees and you'd have internet access whenever you're not actually driving.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Plenty of truckers have laptops these days, and just about every truck stop I've been in in the last couple of years has had a wireless hot-spot. I think most are run by companies that operate many hot spots across wide areas, so you could probably just pay one or two subscription fees and you'd have internet access whenever you're not actually driving.

You obviously have never seen my workingspot. Believe me, a laptop is not a substitution for the relaxmode I can enter behind my computer ;)

Smoke

Done here.
My only reservation about the deal would be traveling on a road filled with other truckers who are driving as fast as their rigs can tolerate.

kateyes

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Get to see the country, stay in nice hotels, only work 20-25 hours a week--as long as the dogs could go as well. I would try it for a year or 2.