• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People seem to drop anything for money.

Lintu

I read an article today in Time that I found really disturbing. It's in the issue with the cover about being 13. Anyway, there was this article describing how several other northwestern states are thinking about taking on the same emissions standards as California, which are very strict. A representative from the automobile industry came back saying that "people don't need to be told what they can drive" and that they have "free choice to pick their vehicles" and that requiring such standards would bring up the cost of a car $3000. The part that was sad to me, other than the fact that someone is against such a law, is that the increase in price is likely to turn people off from the bill. Let's see...$3000 extra on a car, or making some sort of small contribution to prevent complete environmental destruction? It's one thing if a person just can't make enough money to buy a car in an area where it is necessary, but there are plenty of affluent Americans who can easily afford a hybrid or can take a $3000 increase in the price of a new car yet still would not.

I feel that people are willing to forego legitimate solutions (or at least a small help) to major problems for the sake of their own greed. What do they care? It's their kids and grandkids who will suffer.

i, personally, would preferr to have a better enviroment than an inexpencive car. cars come and go, they are limited only by the materials used in production. We have only one Earth. One planet, as far as whe know, to call home. We should take care of it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I read today some where in the Guardian. that a number of n. east states are joining in an agreement on global warming and reducing carbon emissions, against fedral wishes.
I hope it is true.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As I sit here, the television is on. They are showing a hydrogen fuel car, with a range of 80 miles on a full tank with top speed of 80mph. That is being offered to people as an alternative to the drive towards bicycles - which, let's face it, not everyone can manage.:)