• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pelagius vs Augustine

Morse

To Extinguish
Okay, so, a lot of people will say this is obvious, but I want to think about this for a second.

When Pelagius and St. Augustine had that whole conflict, who was morally right?

Pelagius was trying to free people from the negative parts of the Catholic Church.

Augustine was trying to uphold the philosophies he had developed, which had in turn developed the Church (Which wasn't all that bad back then, religion wasn't always the way it is now).

NOW, many people will say Augustine was wrong because they disagree with original sin, but he was just trying to uphold the traditions, values, and morals that had given society and culture its form.

Im now wondering if this will fail like so many of my other threads,
Regards,
Morse

Smoke

Done here.
When I was a Christian, I was always a little uncomfortable with the fact that I agreed more with Pelagius than Augustine. Not that Augustine is all that, as far as the Orthodox are concerned. The general consensus is that he meant well but had his head firmly up his posterior most of the time. But they still consider Pelagius a heretic.

A

angellous_evangellous

The Catholic church didn't exist during Augustine's lifetime. :shrug: