• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patterns of grief and god

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I noticed the patterns and result of grief is simular to described experiences of god. I wish I knew other god-faiths; but, since no one is alien to the other, Id assume this is the point same but by a different name.

My aunt passed away this January, and it got me thinking of grief. Im getting better now physically; so, its easier to talk about. I was reading this site Is It Real, or Is It Hallucination? and it explains about prost-grief hallucinations. Many people who grief exterodinary experiences (EE) because of loss have halucinations of their loved one's prense, hearing or seeing their deceased loved ones, dreams, and more.

Oddly enough, some of these experiences mirror religious god-experiences:

1. intuitively sensing that the deceased person is present (sometimes accompanied by a telepathic or mental message);
2. a visual apparition of or "seeing" the loved one;
3. hearing the voice of the person;
4. smelling an essence that is closely associated with the loved one, such as a particular cologne, pipe smoke, perfume, etc.;
5. feeling as if being touched, including being kissed or embraced, by the person;
6. noticing birds or animals behaving in an unusual way that associates them with the deceased;
7. noticing a symbolic representation such as "cloud writing" or an object that is closely associated with the deceased;
8. a third-party experience where a message comes through another person who has had the EE;
9. a fourth-party experience where a message comes through two other people;
10. having a vivid, unforgettable visitation dream;
11. seeing the loved one during an out-of-body experience;
12. witnessing a psi kappa event (a moving object, a clock stopping or starting at the moment of death, the flicker of lights or other electronic equipment turning on and off at a significant moment;
13. synchronicities (meaningful coincidences) that couple the deceased with an unexpected physical event; and
14. crisis apparitions or sense of presence of the loved one just before the survivor is notified of the death.

From how I generally hear god experiences on and offline and with many christians, there is a sense of love between god whether by incarnation (which I read on RF), manfestation, or spirit. They can feel god(s) presense whether within or external. They can see god. And hear his voice like my other friend who hears christ whispering in her ear.

1. All in all, there is a sense of god being present. I dont know the logistics since deceased loved ones were alive before they died, but with god, that isnt the case. The strange thing is that these god(s) still interact with their presense nonetheless. A lot of it is confirmed by interaction with god and life, scriptures, culture, or so have you. Embedded in god's presence.

I wonder if the presence of a deceased loved one and that of god are simular.

2-5. Is very common in post-grief experiences. Sometimes I hear my aunt laughing in my ear when I do stupid things. I hear her sense of humor. I dont see her but I can feel her energy. Its interesting listeing to god-experiences. Some are confirmed by outside objects whether as tools or deities themselves. For example, the bible works as such a tool to confirm these grief like experiences.

Another thing my other friend I saw her crying at Chuch because she was so heart broken for christ dying for her I dont know how but when we have a close connection with loved ones, we can feel whether we hurt them and just a sense of their personality and reaction.

When we are so caught up in our beliefs say grief or love for god its hard to analyze outside of that to want to make sense without feeling we are compromising our faith (it gives us a panic feeling). Probably why a lot of people asking for proof cannot receive one because it challenges that believers sense of self in relation to his faith. Kinda liking a grief stricken one to prove his loved one is real while assuming his loved one is not. Its insulting.

6-9, 13 Is very common. My cousin said, after our grandmother died five years ago, he saw patterns in how the birds flew. He felt god was telling him grandmother was alive and well. Meaningful syncronicities are few of the cornerstones of grief and religious experiences regardless the supernatural religion. In other words, signs like mediums, feathers, and dreams are very important in proof and experience of god(s) and loved ones.

I find it odd that grief and religious experiences co-relate. I guess another way to understand god-experiences is to look up what they call grief-hallucinations. I read that not many researches studied that area of grief; but, if you find more good studies and material, be free to post.

I put this under debate since RFians love to debate just because it says so not because of the context of the OP. If you have thoughts and resources, pass them on.

Resource

1. [A Clinical Case of Grief Hallucination through the Mourning Work Normal Grief and Spiritual Care]. - Abstract - Europe PMC

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I noticed the patterns and result of grief is simular to described experiences of god. I wish I knew other god-faiths; but, since no one is alien to the other, Id assume this is the point same but by a different name.

What I've read is that when you imagine something, like someone's face or a sound, like a song you like. The mind uses the same parts of the brain as when you are actually seeing/hearing something. However this is something you do consciously so you know it's all internal.

The subconscious mind is also as capable of making use of the same parts of the brain to create audio/visual experiences. Consider dreams. The difference being it is not something you are consciously driving. So it makes sense to me that the brain is quite capable of creating such hallucinations. Since it is not a conscious process as a conscious experience it's be easy to assume such experiences originated externally.

This is actually commonly know from the colloquialism "the mind plays tricks". The "reality" of these experiences, from my experience and talking with other can vary a great deal even to the point of creating a feeling of certainty of the actuality of the experience.

Last edited: