• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat robertson nut case

I have come across two articles I'd like all of you to read. When you read the two you will note the differences of perspective amongst native christians in Palestine and the Evangelical Christians of the United States, here are also some quotes:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/484433.html

In two Jerusalem appearances, Robertson praised Israel as part of God's plan and criticized Arab countries and some Muslims, saying their hopes to include Israeli-controlled land in a Palestinian state are part of "Satan's plan."

"I see the rise of Islam to destroy Israel and take the land from the Jews and give East Jerusalem to [Palestinian Authority Chairman] Yasser Arafat. I see that as Satan's plan to prevent the return of Jesus Christ the Lord," said Robertson, a Christian broadcaster.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exe...7C3F1BBDAB8.htm
This week, the US-based Episcopal Church said it would contemplate action against companies involved in the occupation of Palestine, especially in the construction of the separation wall Israel is building in the West Bank.

"We salute these two churches for taking these courageous steps to help the oppressed Palestinian people," said archimandrite Ata Allah Hanna, spokesman of the Orthodox Church in Jerusalem.

just compare and contrast.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I was disappointed to note that the United States' Israel policy was still the "elephant in the living room" last week during the *foreign policy* debate.

A real eye-opener is reading some of Pat Robertson's books....my particular favorite is the New World Order...Robertson is a real scary person once you raslly start to listen to what he believes.

Lightkeeper

I have been concerned about Pat Robertson for years. It was really scary when he tried to run for president. He is out of control.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
civilcynic said:
A real eye-opener is reading some of Pat Robertson's books....my particular favorite is the New World Order...Robertson is a real scary person once you raslly start to listen to what he believes.
What are some of the things he says?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Lightkeeper said:
I have been concerned about Pat Robertson for years. It was really scary when he tried to run for president. He is out of control.

Maybe we should try leashing him with a zapping collar- one that, whenever he says something outrageous- gives him a few volts. It'd either teach him to think before he speaks or would develop into a kind of new-wave dance move that would be really entertaining...

Although the concept that he thinks before he speaks right now and still comes out with what he does is rather terrifying.

standing_on_one_foot

Heh, I was looking over the quotes and realized that "I have known few homosexuals who did not practice their tendencies. Such people are sinning against God and will lead to the ultimate destruction of the family and our nation. I am unalterably opposed to such things, and will do everything I can to restrict the freedom of these people to spread their contagious infection to the youth of our nation" makes it sounds a bit like he's opposed to homosexuals not practicing their tendencies...

standing_on_one_foot

Indeedy. It's kinda sad that you mostly hear and remember the bad examples, isn't it? Although if it's any consolation, I certainly don't base my opinions of Christianity on people like Robertson. I really should make an effort to listen more to the good ones and less to the bad...but they have a tendency to be a lot kinder and more thoughtful and less amusing...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What motivates a guy like Pat Robinson? Does he really believe the crap he preaches? Is he insane? Is he only in it for the money? The fame?

Melody

standing_on_one_foot said:
I really should make an effort to listen more to the good ones and less to the bad...but they have a tendency to be a lot kinder and more thoughtful and less amusing...

The quiet ones are probably better examples of true believers. Unfortunately, they usually aren't newsworthy.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Melody said:
The quiet ones are probably better examples of true believers. Unfortunately, they usually aren't newsworthy.
That's one of my biggest gripes about the media. They might have their reasons for it (i.e. sensational news sells) but those reasons don't change the fact that the media's emphasis on nutcases like Pat Robinson distorts the commonplace reality, the fact most Christians are pretty decent people. Ah... Don't get me started!

standing_on_one_foot

Melody said:
Yup, my point exactly. But...well, yeah, most Christians are decent people. I know this. So...why should I want to hear about it? Breaking news: most people are just average, decent people! It's just not news, you know? I mean, to be honest, the only interesting things are the really good and really bad, and the really bad are much more fun to make fun of :p This is not to say that the media doesn't have its problems, mind you (coz it really does)...

anders

I think that only one quote like that in Sweden would have the speaker kicked out of his political party faster than the news hit the headlines. Even the communists (now, however, renamed) would object if a person pushed communism in that manner.

If the speaker was a member of the Church of Sweden, he would not be thrown out. AFAIK, there is no possibility to excommunicate somebody from this Church. It cares for sinners. Other churches would probably get rid of him quickly (that is, from the membership rolls, nothing worse).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
anders said:
I think that only one quote like that in Sweden would have the speaker kicked out of his political party faster than the news hit the headlines. Even the communists (now, however, renamed) would object if a person pushed communism in that manner.
I've always wanted to immigrate to Sweden...now I know why.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
The Voice of Reason said:
This may be the greatest understatement I've heard in the past 3 decades.

TVOR

Lightkeeper seems to be a very kind and gentle soul. I think that was just... putting it very nicely! (Not putting it nicely would be more like... 'he gives fruitbats a bad name.')