• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passion

Scott1

I finally watched the movie "The Passion of the Christ" last night with my wife.

Not what I expected.

With all the commotion and praise dumped on the movie, I must say that I was expecting more.

Great movie, don't get me wrong, but I just thought so much more could have been done.

Any thoughts?

Peace in Christ,
Scott

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
i saw it. my feelings exactly. its wasnt a great movie. i mean, movie wise. sure, it went through the biblical suffering of jesus as much as it possibly could, but there was no plot and all the characteristics which make a movie, a movie.

what really rubbed me the wrong way was when jim cavezel braggled about having the same initials as Jesus (JC, but techinally, jesus's last name was not christ). and he went to see the pope and made a huge deal out of it.

i really liked Jesus of Nazareth. there was acutally a spiritual and educational point behind it.

linwood

SOGFPP said:
Great movie, don't get me wrong, but I just thought so much more could have been done.

Any thoughts?

Peace in Christ,
Scott
I liked it.

I don`t know what more could have been done with it considering the limitations Gibson put on himself in regards to what story he was going to tell.

He wanted to show the "Passion of Christ", I think he did that as well as could be expected.

I think I know what you mean though, it was like taking the best part out of a story and just showing that without all the necessary build up and ending needed to really get the full affect of the story.

robtex

Veteran Member
I didn't see the movie but at the time it came out I worked for the state and 99 % of my coworkers where Christians. They had discussions about it everyday for weeks and talked about how they cried during the movie and felt overwhelming saddness and joy at the same time. If Mel Gibson was trying to get them moved emotionally he succeeded with my ex-co-workers. The local churches....and I live deep in the Bible belt so there are churches everywhere, the words the passion of christ was on billboards in front of the churches for months. It was a popular topic of discussion with it being a listed topic in front of churches. People I knew showed me and other various scriptures they wrote out expressing what the movie meant to them.

the movie must have had some emotional scenes in it.

Sogpff in regards to you saying not what you expected....what did you expect? What did you see?

Scott1

I expected something more moving...... I guess the movie is different to non-Catholics who have not given a lot of thought to the passion.

The Stations of the Cross are one of the basic Catholic devotionals, something I have done many times in the last two years,..... so I guess I was hoping for a emotional/spiritual connection with the movie..... some kind of "awakening" or whatever......... and It didn't happen.

It was my own fault for having such high expectations, I know, but I did like the movie for what it was.

I am glad that a lot of people got to see that side of the story.... so many Christians just want the flowery "I'm Saved!" message, but don't want to talk about the suffering that saved them.

Peace,
Scott

Dadball

I thought it was a great movie, and yes just a movie. As someone stated earlier, it only tells part of the the greatest story ever told. I thought Gibson's story telling in this movies was fantanstic. His portrayal of evil as androgynous giving it a attractive and seductive quality was metiphorically right on. I liked the use of aramaic and latin. It gave me a glimpse of the sound of the actual words used by Christ. The visual graphic flogging and crucifiction left me speechless as to the cruelty man is to man.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I've really resisting seeing this movie. For me the appeal of Jesus has nothing to do with how he may or may not have died. But I think I might watch it one day, when I'm alone and can fast forward throught the gory parts.

huajiro

I think what the movie does for people is show Jesus' life in greater detail. Eevrything we have ever seen before was not so graphic, this movie makes you feel it more. I don't completely believe that Jesus existed, but I feel sorry for that guy in the movie regardless.