• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

parashat hashavua

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Most challenging? I'm trying to remember the one that includes Devarim 28... isn't that Ki-Tizei? :oops::rolleyes:

It's definitely the most challenging, at least for me. And isn't it super long?

Most interesting... It's the one with all the instruments of the Temple service described in it, Acharei mot? Maybe it's the one right before it?

Also, that ^^ was my Barmitzha Parsha, when I was first called to the Torah almost 15 years ago at my local Chabad.

Edit:. Parsha Kedoshim... Duh... That's the most interesting...the one with the Temple Instruments... the one before Acahrei Mot...

Last edited:

Jedster

Don't we all like our Barmitzva Parsha? :cool:
Although no longer religious, I still love my Barmitzva parsha, which was parshas poro, which I was told is the longest maftir. I also enjoyed learning and singing the notes both in the matftir and haftorah.

:cool:

Jedster

:confused:

Parshas Poro?

@dybmh

See this for a complete explanation

Shabbat Parah
Shabbat Parah, the Sabbath of the Red Heifer, occurs on the Shabbat prior to Shabbat Mevarkhim of the month of Nisan. The maftir reading, Numbers 19:1-22, deals with the red heifer whose ashes were combined with water to ritually purify anyone who had been in contact with a dead person. Because only people who were pure could eat from the Passover sacrifice, a public announcement right before Nisan reminded anyone who had become impure to purify themselves before making the Passover pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

The haftarah, Ezekiel 36:16-38, also deals with issues of being cleansed from contamination, but the impurity in this case symbolizes human sinfulness. But, like physical impurity, sins can be overcome. As God says in Ezekiel 36:25,26: “I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean: I will cleanse you from all your uncleanness and from all your fetishes [idolatrous practices]. And I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit into you.” This renewal of self and nation reflects Passover’s theme of redemption.

this is from Special Shabbatot | My Jewish Learning which explains all the special Shabbatot.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What about you? Which one(s) is/are the most challenging/interesting to you?

I'm not quite sure (which is one of the reasons for the thread) but at this point I'd say the holiness code in Kedoshim and and the Tamar narrative in Vayeshev.