• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

paraphrased bibles?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
((Christianity DIR))

What do people think of paraphrased bibles, such as The Message?

I've found that it is more accessible to me than translations

I've been using it a lot lately

But have been warned against using it for serious bible study

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
((Christianity DIR))

I love using them as a support... it gives an applicable view of a scripture but always to be used in conjunction with translations and study bibles. :)

We find The Voice as a good study bible... but there are many.

74x12

((Christianity DIR))

It's someone else's interpretation of the scriptures. But that doesn't mean it's always wrong. It's good to learn from other people and see how they view the scriptures. They probably put a lot of thought and study into it so take what you can from it but don't just believe it verbatim. Keep learning and studying for yourself.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
((Christianity DIR))

The Message is pretty interesting.

You could think of it as being a lot like an interesting preacher, and that would be pretty close to what it is, often, in many places.

When I was young at one point someone gave me "Good News for Modern Man" which is also pretty paraphrased.

It's not all bad, but....it falls short at times, I have since learned.

Eventually there are places where the difference between the real Word and a paraphrase can even be like the different between --

Lightning and a lightning bug.

Of course, the lightning bug is pleasant and fun to see, but it's not quite the amazing level of the lightning.

You'll want in time to read a more word-for-word version, because you do want to see those amazing wordings, the original, in their full glory, such as at the beginning of the Gospel of John, but also in very many other places too.

This verse that follows isn't really meant to be entirely simple, or obvious.... I think it's meant to alter your brain --

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

There are many more too. :) It's such an adventure!