• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paradox game: What does this mean to you?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"To love what you see, but hate what you love"
The first thing that springs to mind is to love the world, but transcend it seeking God.

"Love what you see..."
Have compassion and celebrate God's work.

"... hate what you love"
Reject worldly things and seek enlightenment/ salvation/ etc..

I don't agree with it, but that's my interpretation.

JMiller

The first thing that springs to mind is to love the world, but transcend it seeking God.

"Love what you see..."
Have compassion and celebrate God's work.

"... hate what you love"
Reject worldly things and seek enlightenment/ salvation/ etc..

I don't agree with it, but that's my interpretation.
I am not convinced there is anything to agree or disagree with, in that it is not very definitive or specific enough. Ya know what I mean?

I suppose if I really think about this, it really is just a simple opposite.

Man loves what he sees, but hates what he loves, seems to be just the same statement but opposite of each other.

When we consider the nature of man and his dual roles, within himself, do you not see this back and forth struggle as he tries to make sense of the world?

In your own life was there not a time to which right and wrong, good and evil, moral or immoral seemed blurry? I realize some grow to accept there is no such thing as right or wrong, but that usually takes maturing. Until that point it seems most everyone, has loved what they've seen, but eventually hated what they loved.

Anyway, just an abstract exercise. Your interpretation works just fine for me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Would you mind sharing why? I'd be curious why you think you fall out of the realm of its implications.
As a panentheist, I don't separate God from the world or seek transendence.

To love the world is to love God.