• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheist, LHP or RHP?

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Which side do you think pantheist belong on? I think panentheist are more RHP, and pantheist are more LHP. What do you think about this?

I guess it hinges on the definition of god. If you see 'god' as nothing more than the sum of everything..then it is as Dawkins described it, 'sexed up atheism' and really not incompatible with the LHP, as no empty or unprovable claims are on the table.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I guess it hinges on the definition of god. If you see 'god' as nothing more than the sum of everything..then it is as Dawkins described it, 'sexed up atheism' and really not incompatible with the LHP, as no empty or unprovable claims are on the table.
I think that the sum of everything is the objective god. The subjective god is up to ones own perception. I think I am an extension of the objective universe and I am the god of my subjective universe.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Panentheist worship and serve a deity that they are a part of but it's greater than themselves. That sounds like RHP. Pantheist don't worship or serve deity, because we and deity are one and the same. That sounds like LHP.

I think this is asking more of an individual's form of worship. Sorry, I thought you meant the ideas themselves. Both suggest an immanent Being, the difference being that Panentheists believe the God is also transcendent. In this way, both paths can exist depending on how the believer takes it: there are pantheists that worship and panentheists that don't also.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I think this is asking more of an individual's form of worship. Sorry, I thought you meant the ideas themselves. Both suggest an immanent Being, the difference being that Panentheists believe the God is also transcendent. In this way, both paths can exist depending on how the believer takes it: there are pantheists that worship and panentheists that don't also.
I've never heard of a pantheist that worships. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying this is a first for me.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
Is it possible they are ashamed to admit it from the religious hype around the even mentioning of worship or anything that could be interpreted as such? "not a trick question"

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I've never heard of a pantheist that worships. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying this is a first for me.

I used to be (and sometimes still am). The idea is understanding that there is only the One that is a part of everything, and being grateful for that relationship.

In many way, art is becoming central to my rationale for ritual. I enjoy ritual because it allows for me to creatively express my inner world. It's not necessary, just enjoyable.

Of course, I switch between pantheism and panentheism (as well as between atheist and agnosticism) depending on my perspective of the world.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Is it possible they are ashamed to admit it from the religious hype around the even mentioning of worship or anything that could be interpreted as such? "not a trick question"
Yes it is possible. I just had never heard it before today. I've heard of pantheist with great reverence for nature but not worshippers.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I used to be (and sometimes still am). The idea is understanding that there is only the One that is a part of everything, and being grateful for that relationship.

In many way, art is becoming central to my rationale for ritual. I enjoy ritual because it allows for me to creatively express my inner world. It's not necessary, just enjoyable.

Of course, I switch between pantheism and panentheism (as well as between atheist and agnosticism) depending on my perspective of the world.
Pantheism, panentheism, atheist and agnosticism. How do you do that?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Which side do you think pantheist belong on? I think panentheist are more RHP, and pantheist are more LHP. What do you think about this?
I agree that panentheists tend to be more RHP, but I don’t agree that pantheists are LHP. The focus of pantheism is on the whole (with or without “worship”), not on the individual.

Erebus

The idea of an external deity of any kind is a dodgy issue when it comes to the LHP. Now I don't agree with the notion that belief in an external deity automatically precludes one from the LHP, but I do believe that once a LHP practitioner has a concept of an external deity they can quite easily slip onto the RHP.
Basically if a person on the LHP believes in a deity or God concept beyond themselves (whether pantheistic, panentheistic or otherwise) they have to ask themselves one important question, "What am I getting out of this?" I see no problem with believing in any form of god one cares to believe in so long as it benefits them.
Possibly the best example of what I'm talking about is when Setians, Luciferians and (some) theistic Satanists describe having a partnership with their deity rather than a master/slave relationship. As long as the primary focus remains on the self and self improvement I don't see this as incompatible with the LHP. This applies to pantheism/panentheism as well as theism in general.