• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panslavic Rodnovery

xepmec

I think some Slavs were actually the last hold-outs - beyond a family or two, here and there elsewhere in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization_of_Lithuania

"Samogitia was the last ethnic region of Lithuania to become Christianized in 1413"

Trying to remember others where I read certain regions were still pretty much wholesale pagan until 15-1600's.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaromarsburg
There is a record of one of the last temples. Soma call Arkona „the holy mount of Slavs" comparing it to Athos in Greece.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I egree that there are different views and inerpretations but I deem useful to have as much to read as possible in order to be able to draw ones own conclusions.

I'm just always cautious of ones from a Christian source. When I saw the He is Risen banner, I expected the demeaning, prejudiced nature that showed especially towards the end.

Jumi

I don't know really. Always see sources saying most Lithuanians are Slavs but not all...some others just say they aren't Slavs at all :confused:
I see the Baltics as early arrivals in migration of the IE peoples. They are a different branch in the tree with Slavic, Celtic, Germanic, etc.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't group Lithuanians as Slavs. Similarities are there ofc.

True they, along w/ Latvians and Estonians are the Balto- (Baltic Sea) part of Balto-Slavic. The name actually comes from the language families they belong to. They are very closely related, hence being grouped together on an IE branch.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Btw, when I say I'm 99.9% hard polytheist, that other 1% is the part that sees some gods as the same... There's no doubt in my mind that Thor, Thunor, Donar, Perun and Perkūnas are the same god. I have no problem with an invocation such as "O Thor, who is called Thunor, Donar, Perun and Perkūnas by our brothers snd sisters in other lands, you who are protector, friend, guardian, benefactor ... " (much sucking up to the big guy? :D). However I do not see Zeus, Jupiter, Indra or Taranis as the same as Thunor, Donar, Perun and Perkūnas.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many on FB but few in English.

I think it's probably because the number of followers is so small and probably mostly in Slavic countries. I'd try posting something in English, maybe they are bilingual but think no one from elsewhere is interested. Just a thought. :)

Jumi

Estonians and Baltic Finns don't belong on the IE tree as far as language goes, but Finno-Ugrics in the Baltics and Scandinavia had many of the same gods as the Baltic, Slavic and Germanic neighbors. Perkele and Tuuri from Finland and Taara from Estonia are the same Slavic Perun and Germanic Thor.

xepmec

Now is 7525th year in Slavic calendar. Counting is based on few monuments remaining from prechristian times and few records of russian origin. It is reputed to be a count from „the beginning of the world".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Estonians and Baltic Finns don't belong on the IE tree as far as language goes, but Finno-Ugrics in the Baltics and Scandinavia had many of the same gods as the Baltic, Slavic and Germanic neighbors. Perkele and Tuuri from Finland and Taara from Estonia are the same Slavic Perun and Germanic Thor.

You are right, Estonian is Finno-Ugric, along with Finnish, Saami, Hungarian and some others. The close contact is why I think those are all different names for the same thunder god.