• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Norse/Norsemen - thoughts or philosophy on remarriage after death of spouse?

occamsrazor

I posted another thread giving more details about a complicated situation between myself and my partner, but this question is a little more straightforward.

What is the Norse view on remarriage after the death of a spouse? Are there specific Gods or Goddesses who would be involved or encourage it? Are there any traditions, rituals, or customs in place to honor the departed spouse?

Any and all information would be helpful. Thank you!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It probably varies from person to person, Tribe to Tribe (historically), and from God to God. Polytheistic Gods are rather notorious for not getting along at all.

I can't really see any of the Germanic Gods being against remarriage, except maybe Tiw/Tyr, though I suspect the old stories and Icelandic Sagas might be a good source of information on what the later Norse might have thought of it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know the Norse view on remarriage after the death of a spouse, but Lofn is the goddess who is invoked to bless marriages that are otherwise discouraged, frowned upon, or forbidden. She is a gentle goddess who wants to see two people happy. She is one of the handmaidens of Frigga. Same sex Heathen couples would invoke Lofn's blessings, for example. However, Freyja and Freyr are also said to bless non-traditional unions.

vaguelyhumanoid

Norse mythology contains a story of divorce (Skadi and Njörðr), which is presented without judgment or condemnation. In addition, many of the deities had multiple loves over their lifetimes.

William Bell

Occamsraizor,
The Norse shared a very common theme with other ancient Indo-European religions; they believed that when we die, we tend to stay with a certain group of other souls which we are very close to, and when we are reborn (as the Norse religions often adhered to the concept of re-incarnation) we mostly choose to be born with these souls, either as family members, or as people who will have their destinies intertwined with ours.
Along with this same concept, the Norse believed in a 'soul-mate'. this with which you try to find and be with in your many lives, as your souls are permanently intertwined. So these two souls would be together in the afterlife, in the Norse understanding of things.
I hope that helps :)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I don't know the Norse view on remarriage after the death of a spouse, but Lofn is the goddess who is invoked to bless marriages that are otherwise discouraged, frowned upon, or forbidden. She is a gentle goddess who wants to see two people happy. She is one of the handmaidens of Frigga. Same sex Heathen couples would invoke Lofn's blessings, for example. However, Freyja and Freyr are also said to bless non-traditional unions.
a worthy lady can you tell me more or link me to more ?

vaguelyhumanoid

Occamsraizor,
The Norse shared a very common theme with other ancient Indo-European religions; they believed that when we die, we tend to stay with a certain group of other souls which we are very close to, and when we are reborn (as the Norse religions often adhered to the concept of re-incarnation) we mostly choose to be born with these souls, either as family members, or as people who will have their destinies intertwined with ours.
Along with this same concept, the Norse believed in a 'soul-mate'. this with which you try to find and be with in your many lives, as your souls are permanently intertwined. So these two souls would be together in the afterlife, in the Norse understanding of things.
I hope that helps :)

The Norse believed that the universe reincarnated - that the worlds will be destroyed and regenerate anew. However, I've never heard of them believing that people reincarnated - that's more of a druid thing. I also haven't heard of the concept of a "soulmate" in Norse culture.

William Bell

The Norse believed that the universe reincarnated - that the worlds will be destroyed and regenerate anew. However, I've never heard of them believing that people reincarnated - that's more of a druid thing. I also haven't heard of the concept of a "soulmate" in Norse culture.

It is true that Snorri never mentioned the re-incarnation of souls, or anything to do with a soul mate. But that does not mean it did not exist. For instance the Galgeal, and many Norse, Danes and even Germans (the latter having unique religions, but on occasion shared the Norse faith) which settled in Britain got along so well with the Gaels (when they did not war over land lol) due to similarities of culture and religion. Now, the Gaels and the Norse, as you mentioned above, did not have druids. However they did interact with them. The druids were founded as a sort of blanket religion, so thousands of tribes across europe could interact religiously, while maintaining the independence of their tribal religion. As such the druid's religion (what can be found and reconstructed) has been a vital resource in understanding Indo-European mythology and faith. The Norse who settled in Britain, for example, showed signs of similar routes to every other indo-european peoples, and shared nearly identical beleifs on re-incarnation not only with the Gaels, but with the native Britons as well.

vaguelyhumanoid

Hmm, that makes sense. I've definitely toyed with weirder concepts based on comparative mythology.

I do know that the Norse believed that the soul has multiple parts:

William Bell

Hmm, that makes sense. I've definitely toyed with weirder concepts based on comparative mythology.

I do know that the Norse believed that the soul has multiple parts:

Indeed, and its most certainly a very fascinating concept.
It definitely gives food for thought. I suppose when working with Norse mythology, which has so many gaps, lost to the tides of history, it comes down to us to see what truths the myths are trying to depict. For this reason i find comparing similar mythologies very helpful. I mean, the ultimate goal of religion is to try and understand what is there beyond the physical, no? Well that my take on it at least, lol.

V lad i mir

I posted another thread giving more details about a complicated situation between myself and my partner, but this question is a little more straightforward.

What is the Norse view on remarriage after the death of a spouse? Are there specific Gods or Goddesses who would be involved or encourage it? Are there any traditions, rituals, or customs in place to honor the departed spouse?

Any and all information would be helpful. Thank you!
widowed have to be remarried. people only in couple can go the Gods way. Gods will not involved. you are totally free of what you doing. Gods will only show you the right way and if you follow it you'll be supported.Traditions - if you are widowed woman your new man have to ask permission to marry you at lеаder of your husband clan or his father. if you are widowed man - same way you was marr. before - permission to marriage from father of bride. do not keep pictures or photo of passed away relatives on a walls or any way to view it, keep em in album. if you have children, taking care of them is best way to honor the departed spouse.Divorce is not accepted by Gods.Divorce is a crime against your husband clan, or your own if you are man.