• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Padding for children

klubbhead024

I have been noticing more and more that kids these days are forced to wear padding for just about everything. Riding a bike, skateboarding, roller-blading, riding those little scooter things. When did parents start losing their minds? When I grew up, I NEVER wore any sort of padding. I've had myself a number of falls bumps, cuts, scrapes, and the occasional broken bone, but hey thats part of being a kid right?. I know all the parents out there are going to say, "We just want our kids to be safe" but enough is enough. Any thoughts?

A

angellous_evangellous

klubbhead024 said:
I have been noticing more and more that kids these days are forced to wear padding for just about everything. Riding a bike, skateboarding, roller-blading, riding those little scooter things. When did parents start losing their minds? When I grew up, I NEVER wore any sort of padding. I've had myself a number of falls bumps, cuts, scrapes, and the occasional broken bone, but hey thats part of being a kid right?. I know all the parents out there are going to say, "We just want our kids to be safe" but enough is enough. Any thoughts?

Well that explains everything. ;)

evearael

I remember growing up without any sort of booster seat and sliding back and forth in my seat as my dad took corners a bit fast. Now they are legally required until a certain age and weight. I took the time to research the reasoning behind the law, deemed it sound and I do believe it's a good law. I survived childhood without the added safety of a booster seat, but that alone is not a reason to decline to use them. My parents survived until adulthood though they were held in their mothers' arms for long road trips, but that alone is not a reason to decline to use them. When I was rear ended by a dump truck a year and a half a ago with my father and daughter, my infant would have been launched through the windshield for several hundred feet before being run over by the dump truck as he fled the scene of the accident. Instead, she was fine except for a tiny bruise on her check because she was properly secured in her car seat. Each protective measure from car seats, to helmets, to shin guards, and so on, should be evaluated on their individual merit and not dismissed simply because we survived to adulthood without them. That said, I do feel that people do go overboard at times basing their judgements on fear rather than reason. It is best to research each protective item and sport to make the most educated judgement for yourself and your family.

A

angellous_evangellous

klubbhead024 said:
Hmmm.... maybe it does....

Is it, for example, illustrative as to your name - club head? :areyoucra

jacquie4000

Well if they can be safer why not wear it? Bumps and and scapes and even broken bones happen kids are kids. But if some of it can be avoided great....MY son wears all his dirt bike protection, not all of his skateboard protection though. Even with protection serious injuries can happen while dirt biking.

BFD_Zayl

i never wore a helmet on a bike, and i fell alot, and it didn't hurt me *twitch* didn't hurt me *twitch* didn't hurt me *twitch* wait, where am i? oh yeah! i do agree with the basic point of this thread, head and eye protection is more of a need that an elbow pad. i remember roller blading with only a hat on, of course i fell, banged my noggin, but that is what my skull is for. i have my fair share of scars, and i am damn proud of them. i have seen a little kid in so much padding it restricted his movements to the point where he fall every 5 min, they took the padding off, and he never fell down that night.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I think that it's also because people/parents have to buy padding (more consumerism) and people don't want to be sued.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only padding I use is googles and plastic armored gloves when I play paintball. Same way when I started playing years ago.
I've never liked wearing them. I think getting the scraps, bruises, and other injuries is just a part of growing up. I even made it out of a go-kart flip just fine without a helmit or seat belt. I was severly scraped and cut up due to it being on a gravel road, but I was fine other than that.

I know all the parents out there are going to say, "We just want our kids to be safe" but enough is enough. Any thoughts?
Let the kids learn why they should have zigged instead of zagged. I can see a helmit being pushed, but everything else, especially with readily available and cheap basic first aid items, a scrap isn't much to worry about. If neccessary, just pour on the off brand poroxide, and put on some off brand neosporin, put on a bandage, and let the kid go back at it.

Tao of Pooh

jmoum said:
Aww man. I thought this thread title said "Paddling for Children," to which I would have replied "Yes please! ^_^"

But, I guess I'm for protective padding as well.
Compromise..."protective paddling" :yes:

Ðanisty

Luke Wolf said:
Let the kids learn why they should have zigged instead of zagged. I can see a helmit being pushed, but everything else, especially with readily available and cheap basic first aid items, a scrap isn't much to worry about. If neccessary, just pour on the off brand poroxide, and put on some off brand neosporin, put on a bandage, and let the kid go back at it.
I agree. Kids need to have a little normal pain growing up. How are they going to cope as an adult if they've been totally sheltered like this?

Tao of Pooh

I think that children are now sheltered far too much. Sheltered from any pain, discomfort, disappointment, challenge, etc..., both physically. mentally and emotionally (wait, that's 3...whatever). It encourages them to be self-centred increasingly incabable of coping well with any opposition or conflict.