• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outsiders' impression of your religion vs. reality

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When I'm trying to figure out as an outsider what some other group is like, I often have to remind myself that the impression I get based on the loudest members of that group isn't necessarily a good representation of what it's actually like in the group.

Group members who don't speak up are less likely to be noticed by outsiders, so the loudest members can have a disproportionate effect on the opinions of outsiders.

For your own religion or other group, what differences do you see between what your experience is really like and what someone's impression would be based only on your group's loudest members?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
'Isis! You must worship Isis! Long live Isis!'

I'm... not really interested in Iset (Isis) or Heka (magic).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When I'm trying to figure out as an outsider what some other group is like, I often have to remind myself that the impression I get based on the loudest members of that group isn't necessarily a good representation of what it's actually like in the group.

Group members who don't speak up are less likely to be noticed by outsiders, so the loudest members can have a disproportionate effect on the opinions of outsiders.

For your own religion or other group, what differences do you see between what your experience is really like and what someone's impression would be based only on your group's loudest members?

Very few people speak for Hinduism. Those that do, logically often give the POV of their particular sect or group. Most folks aren't anywhere near as aware of the divides as, say in Christianity, here Catholics, fundamentalists, and Mormons, could all speak. Hinduism's sects, or denominations, in my view, are more diverse than Christianity's. So the reader has to take everything with a grain of salt.

For me, it's helpful to know the denomination, and of course many people do make that clear.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It depends on whether they know the differences between Catholicism (or the Vatican) and Christianity.:)

SeekingAllTruth

Let's assume I am deism's loudest proponent. I make a bold declaration and I make it not on dogmatism or opinion or the Bible or other holy book, etc. but on one thing: cold hard observation of what I see going on in the world. My declaration: God doesn't give a damn about you. He doesn't care what you think or what you do or what you believe in. He's completely indifferent to you.

What observation caused me to arrive at my conclusion: I threw out all illusional causes like satan and evil witches and maleficent entities that suffering is often attributed to and looked at what happening in the world without the rose-colored spectacles of religion. What I see is suffering on a scale so vast that if God actually had the brass bulls to call himself omnipotent, omniscient, and merciful he should be decried as a moral hypocrite of the lowest order.

There's my thesis. I would imagine the loudest voices of some religions, particular Christianity would object loudly to my assertion. The problem would be that for every act of mercy done by their god that they can produce I can produce ten million acts of God demonstrating cold hard indifference to the suffering of every person on earth. I would guess that would slap the Christian or other objector into muted silence and embarrassment--if they were honest about it, but I doubt that would happen.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not religious, in fact as atheist as atheist can be. Many god believers think I'm an immoral baby eater. In reality im not. The loudest voice, i guess is Dawkins, and he's not really an atheist anyway but has a job that puts him at odds with the make believe woo of creationism. He therefore becomes a target as does any and all atheists. Bot many atheists listen to him, but religious folk seem to find him fascinating

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Echoing @Vinayaka Hinduism doesn’t really have spokespersons. There are some prominent teachers whose names may be familiar. I think what the world at large knows, or thinks it knows of Hinduism comes from media portrayals or entertainment. Some get it right, most get it wrong. Ancient Aliens is a cringeworthy guilty pleasure of mine. I have a love/hate thing when they mispronounce everything and completely screw up the stories. My husband has learned a lot about Hinduism from me yelling at the tv correcting the hosts about stories and pronunciations. :D

My own family, who are not Hindu but Roman Catholic, while accepting of my various “quirks” and “eccentricities”, this being one of them in their eyes:
  • Don’t know what to make of it.
  • Don’t understand it.
  • Have made the odd comment that got :rolleyes: from me (“what, now you worship cows?”).
When telling a story of one of the gods to someone, another person piped up with “so, you Buddhist or something?” Yeah, something. :rolleyes: Sometimes you just cut your losses.

My humor aside, there are a lot of misconceptions that could be eliminated if Hinduism had a more vocal approach, sectarian differences notwithstanding. Differences we don’t generally argue over. There are a few common core tenets that transcend sects.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
This is not a good answer to your question, but I'm aware that my personal represensation of my tradition is not at all typical for that of the group as a whole. I'm interested in finding the larger connections and differences between paths and enjoy putting that into words. The typical member would talk more about the benefits of meditation, kirtana and yoga and doing social service.

Also the typical member of my group would likely consider spending much time on this forum a waste of their precious time.
There are many more Christians, Bahais, Mormons and Hindus on this forum, so I think it is easier to get a more balanced idea about their paths. Although the Hindus have a lot more variaton because their traditions are much wider, older and they have so very many scriptures and spiritual leaders and gods.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Bearing in mind Christianity, any time you talk to a person, you’re going to get an individual interpretation. When you talk to a church leader, you’re going to get one perspective of a multi-faceted religion. Any dictionary or encyclopedia article will be too dry and lacking in details. The Pope does not speak for Xy. Franklin Graham does not speak for Xy. No one member here speaks for Xy. They only speak for that facet for which they carry authority.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

One of the major problems with Islam is perhaps a lack of appreciation of the diversity - Islam is a living religion like any other religion - and if you want to know what Islam really is, it's best to look at its members and their wide variety of beliefs and practices, whether or not they are necessarily in keeping with what the Qur'an (or traditional interpretations of the Qur'an) or traditions say. So, for example, I'm not sure that outsiders are always fully aware that there are liberals and progressives - and liberal and progressivist movements - in Islam just as much as in other religions.

PearlSeeker

It's not just the loudest members. It's more like loudest news in media. For example: the most popular news regarding RCC is pedophile priests, for Islam terrorism etc.

There is also a lack of knowledge of scripture, doctrine, diversity... A problem not just outside a group but often inside.

Shakeel

for example, I'm not sure that outsiders are always fully aware that there are liberals and progressives - and liberal and progressivist movements - in Islam just as much as in other religions.
And what is sadder than seeing non-Muslims describe islam with more sincerity than those who call themselves muslims.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Often a person's impression is from words. They read an encyclopedia or a pamphlet, so their understanding is totally in the intellect. What that lacks is the feeling. This is why I recommend to newcomers to my faith or interested people to go to a Hindu temple. The same applies to other faiths.

Last edited:

John1.12

Free gift

The ' loudest ' ' Members ' of Christendom, not Christianity would be Roman Catholicism, TV preachers, who want your money , Certain Charismatic churches, Benny Hinn ,Kenneth Copeland and such ,
And any thats preaching ' works righteousness ' . Closer to what the cults present . Mormons and Jehovah's_Witnesses. These are all things that come to mind when someone thinks 'christianity '.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The ' loudest ' ' Members ' of Christendom, not Christianity would be Roman Catholicism, TV preachers, who want your money , Certain Charismatic churches, Benny Hinn ,Kenneth Copeland and such ,
And any thats preaching ' works righteousness ' . Closer to what the cults present . Mormons and Jehovah's_Witnesses. These are all things that come to mind when someone thinks 'christianity '.
How about your denomination specifically?

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
And what is sadder than seeing non-Muslims describe islam with more sincerity than those who call themselves muslims.

If someone claims to be a Muslim and is sincere in their claims, I tend to take those claims seriously.

Shakeel

If someone claims to be a Muslim and is sincere in their claims, I tend to take those claims seriously.
Question is is their view of Islam sincere.

If I believe anyone who takes care of the sick is a doctor and I take care of the sick I can sincerely call myself a doctor, but I'm still wrong.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Question is is their view of Islam sincere.

If I believe anyone who takes care of the sick is a doctor and I take care of the sick I can sincerely call myself a doctor, but I'm still wrong.

One can take the claims seriously in the first instance and then examine those claims as to whether they have a reasonable basis for claiming to be a Muslim (leaving the final judgment to Allah, who Alone will know whether they have faith in their hearts).