• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our previous religions

Maya3

Since there has been a lot of talk about other religions lately, I would like to ask you this;

Which religions did you believe in in your past lives? Did you think that all other religions were false then too, or is it just in this life that you think that?

Maya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
In my past life, I was Hindu. Before that, I was Hindu. And before that, I was also Hindu---and so on. The Vishwamitra gotra, also known as the Kaushik(a) gotra, is known to be consistent throughout the generations.
Which religions did you believe in in your past lives? Did you think that all other religions were false then too, or is it just in this life that you think that?
The problem with this question, or rather statement, is that it mentions the word, "too", assuming that statements have been recently made wherein it was articulated that other religions are "false". Nowhere has that been articulated. Find me one instance where such has been contextually articulated and I'll desist from posting on RF forever.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I was raised by Catholic parents but it was never a strict upbringing. I am familiar with the bible to a degree but was never given confirmation. (The big, "hey! You count now!" ceremony)

I went through a phase where I was embarrassingly conservative about certain things, but thank goodness it passed. I don't think I ever thought other religions were wrong, just unfamiliar. My parents had a "Live and let live" attitude about it. Other religions weren't discussed really.

Maya3

In my past life, I was Hindu. Before that, I was Hindu. And before that, I was also Hindu---and so on. The Vishwamitra gotra, also known as the Kaushik(a) gotra, is known to be consistent throughout the generations.

The problem with this question, or rather statement, is that it mentions the word, "too", assuming that statements have been recently made wherein it was articulated that other religions are "false". Nowhere has that been articulated. Find me one instance where such has been contextually articulated and I'll desist from posting on RF forever.

Actually it has, I have more than once been told in no uncertain terms that I´m a neoAdvaitin and Universalist in not so nice terms.
I think for Hindus especially that realize that we most likely have done this many times before it is just ridiculous to be so bent out of shape if someone says that all religions lead to the same source.

Maya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Actually it has, I have more than once been told in no uncertain terms that I´m a neoAdvaitin and Universalist in not so nice terms.
I think for Hindus especially that realize that we most likely have done this many times before it is just ridiculous to be so bent out of shape if someone says that all religions lead to the same source.

Maya
Again, I'll ask: where recently in the Hinduism DIR has it been articulated that other religions are false? Find me one contextually relevant instance, and I'll gladly desist---and with a stubborn mule like me no longer present, universality shall once again thrive.

Last edited:

Maya3

Again, I'll ask: where recently in the Hinduism DIR has it been articulated that other religions are false? Find me one contextually relevant instance, and I'll gladly desist---and with a stubborn mule like me no longer present, universality shall once again thrive.

I don´t have time to look through the threads right now, I´m sorry.
I have been too distracted on the internet lately and I need to get focused today. Might not have been a good idea to start this thread when I´m so busy. I´ll see if I can get back to you later.

I´m curious about your comment about universality though, that does confirm my point somewhat.

Maya

Last edited:

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
Which religions did you believe in in your past lives?
I don't think i can remember my past life
Did you think that all other religions were false then too, or is it just in this life that you think that?
All religions are false? :D
In this life, now, i believe all religions have some truth in them and God is that truth..I aspire to be a saragrahi
Saragrahi means to seek the essence. Even though there may be differences, if we seek the essence, we will understand what we really have in common.

Chakra

Premium Member
I'm not sure what my previous religions could have been. It could have been Christianity or Islam, or even atheism.

What I think about other religions is summed up nicely by Bhagavan Krishna's words in the BG.

"As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Pṛthā."

I do not think that other religions are worshiping our God, or even our concept of God. Still, Sri Krishna says that he answers their prayers anyway.

Chakra

Premium Member

Do you anything about Kashyapa-gotra?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram maya ji Prabhuji's

what a wonderfull question , ...

Hee Hee , ..since this notion that all other religions are false is alien to me in this life , I can only assume that it was equaly alien to me in previous lives :p

I think that I traveld around India and a little further afeild , ..and where ever I have seen religion practiced with love and devotion then I have fallen in love with that Bhava and found such love never to be false , ...

which religion did I beleive ? ....
ones with very syama gods .....

please please will some kind person please translate this for me as unfortunatly I am traped in this forign body and I canot fully understand such beloved songs , ....all I know is that I want to go home !!!

ratikala

Istha gosthi
jai jai

glad you liked it , ....

I am just praying prabhuji's please someone translate the first one for me , ...pretty please , ..make a little village Vajrayani verry happy :p

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Boy, I think there is little question there was some Hindu connection in my past lives.

One "gut" is a few lives back I was British and sailed to India. That does not necessarily mean I was Christian, I might have been no particular religion.

My last (most previous) life it seems to me I was a Hindu, in India.

A long time ago my gut is I was a devotee of Diana (the Oriental version as like Ephesus). This has something to do with a very strong sensation/event when I was in Rome. But these are all "gut" feelings and "recognition".

In this life I have been Hindu since 8 years old - probably always from day one in this life.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'm a dope. I misread the OP. I thought you were speaking to those who had adopted Hinduism later in life and were asking about our previous religion.

As for past lives - I have no idea. I wish I could say I have a gut feeling about it or maybe a dream with tantalizing clues, but I don't. =)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I don't know about actual past lives, but if we are going by our lives before adopting/practicing Hinduism, I was a Southern Baptist, a Pagan, a Buddhist, and studied Judaism and Islam for a little while. I was also an atheist for about 9 years.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What a cute question, Maya! As a human, I neither had a previous birth, nor will I have a future birth. Of course, what constitutes me (i.e., Brahman), was in a billion forms and will continue to be in billion forms. My age, as it seems, is around 13.75 billion years. I do not know as to how long will I live. Only Hinduism understands this (though Buddhism side-steps the question for other reasons). :)

Chakra

Premium Member
What a cute question, Maya! As a human, I neither had a previous birth, nor will I have a future birth. Of course, what constitutes me (i.e., Brahman), was in a billion forms and will continue to be in billion forms. My age, as it seems, is around 13.75 billion years. I do not know as to how long will I live. Only Hinduism understands this (though Buddhism side-steps the question for other reasons). :)

Yes, but you transmigrated from different bodies throughout your journey.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I transmigrated from a million different bodies. One atom of my right hand middle-finger tip with which I just typed 'm' came from a grain of wheat which grew up in Madhya Pradesh (for example, in Kansas) but another atom of my left hand middle-finger tip came from a lentil grain which grew up in Maharashtra (take it as New Mexico). Such is the apparent state of affairs. I hope you get my meaning.

Last edited: