• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Our Earthly Stewardship" - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

AlexanderG

I notice that the solutions he mentioned were strictly vague:

"There are many things that we can do—collectively and individually—to be good stewards. Considering our individual circumstances, each of us can use the bountiful resources of the earth more reverently and prudently. We can support community efforts to care for the earth. We can adopt personal lifestyles and behaviors that respect God’s creations and make our own living spaces tidier, more beautiful, and more inspirational."

So...be "prudent" and "support your community" (by tithing more, presumably), and make your homes more pretty? He also mentioned respecting the earth by being a co-creator with god, namely by producing and raising children, and presumably indoctrinating them in Mormonism.

No mention of climate change, renewable energy, milage standards, pollution, etc. I guess I appreciate the sentiment, but this sounds more like PR than an actionable call for meaningful change.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I notice that the solutions he mentioned were strictly vague:

"There are many things that we can do—collectively and individually—to be good stewards. Considering our individual circumstances, each of us can use the bountiful resources of the earth more reverently and prudently. We can support community efforts to care for the earth. We can adopt personal lifestyles and behaviors that respect God’s creations and make our own living spaces tidier, more beautiful, and more inspirational."

So...be "prudent" and "support your community" (by tithing more, presumably), and make your homes more pretty? He also mentioned respecting the earth by being a co-creator with god, namely by producing and raising children, and presumably indoctrinating them in Mormonism.

No mention of climate change, renewable energy, milage standards, pollution, etc. I guess I appreciate the sentiment, but this sounds more like PR than an actionable call for meaningful change.

Yeah, it was a little vague. Not a bad article, if one enjoys the Christian standpoint. I don't think the author was intending to lay out a cure for all ills, merely encourage the Christian community in a gentle way to take care of the Earth. I would imagine its up to the reader to apply how care for the environment, but I'd say it left little room for a person to say "its temporary, God's coming, it doesn't matter if I tear it up", so that's a plus.

Not perfect, but what is.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had minor issues until I read this:
potential.
The responsibility of cocreation serves as a constant reminder that life and each person’s body are sacred, that they belong to none other than God,
That's not only a bad ethos that would let something have it's way over us, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being a steward of the Earth. The closest it came to suggesting anything to actually do in this call to action didn't even really suggest anything to do.
There are many things that we can do—collectively and individually—to be good stewards. Considering our individual circumstances, each of us can use the bountiful resources of the earth more reverently and prudently. We can support community efforts to care for the earth. We can adopt personal lifestyles and behaviors that respect God’s creations and make our own living spaces tidier, more beautiful, and more inspirational."
The last part, like area and states dependent upon the Colorado River or Lake Mead for water, the more beautiful thing is a poor stewardship because it's a waste of water where this is little and massive over usage.
What we can do, in some ways it does depend on where we live. Solar panels work great in California, but you'll definitely need something else in places that get long periods and stretches of darkness.
Some means are more universal, like conserving energy and waters even when they are plentiful, consuming less, and being mindful of food waste, but there's definitely an localized reality that also exist when it comes to taking care of the Earth (it's not one big homogeneous climate, afterall).

PureX

Veteran Member
I have noticed that the loudest proclaimers of Earthly stewardship are very often those who exploit the Earth's resources for their own gain. Their idea of "stewardship" tends more toward control and exploitation than it does toward any actual stewardship.

And few preachers are going to preach contrary to the ideals of any wealthy 'land stewards' in their flock.