• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouch!

Skwim

Veteran Member

Latest Gallup poll (4/18/19)

"U.S. Church Membership Down Sharply in Past Two Decades

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As Christian and Jewish Americans prepare to celebrate Easter and Passover, respectively, Gallup finds the percentage of Americans who report belonging to a church, synagogue or mosque at an all-time low, averaging 50% in 2018.

U.S. church membership was 70% or higher from 1937 through 1976, falling modestly to an average of 68% in the 1970s through the 1990s. The past 20 years have seen an acceleration in the drop-off, with a 20-percentage-point decline since 1999 and more than half of that change occurring since the start of the current decade.

nyi9r4mrikq5unkl5g36bg.png

The decline in church membership is consistent with larger societal trends in declining church attendance and an increasing proportion of Americans with no religious preference.

This article compares church membership data for the 1998-2000 and 2016-2018 periods, using combined data from multiple years to facilitate subgroup analysis. On average, 69% of U.S. adults were members of a church in 1998-2000, compared with 52% in 2016-2018.

The decline in church membership mostly reflects the fact that fewer Americans than in the past now have any religious affiliation. However, even those who do identify with a particular religion are less likely to belong to a church or other place of worship than in the past.

ovxdts2eskgsmxrobnyg7a.png

source

More Americans have finally realized you don’t need God to be good. You also don’t need to go to church to have meaning in your life.
source

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wait till the economy or ecology collapses. Insecurity and hardship will increase the need for magical thinking.

Ellen Brown

With the advent of the Internet, research is much easier, and now the challenge is to suss out the reliability of what we find. I'd agree that the old 'stone edifice' places are nearly empty, but there is an astonishing growth of churches that are peopled by those less than age 35. I think that those doing these surveys have completely missed this group of young folk. I've been to two of these places and one of them packs in around 600 worshipers every week end. The one I was at embraces Drug addicts, Alcoholics, the LGBT folk, and almost any other of those "nasty sinners" who would not be accepted in a traditional church. There is growing evidence that the transgender movement was a heartless, experiment by psychology professionals.

It's becoming a different world and they will get along nicely without us "olds". I hope that we have dealt with Trump before we die.

Bob the Unbeliever

It is true: The Internet is where Religion comes to Die.

Look at the demographic-- the more a person was raised with the Internet? The less religious they are.