• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OSAS vs. CS (Evangelicals & charismatics)

1 Cor. 3 (KJV):

"[10]According to the Grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. [11] For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. [12] Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones[;] wood, hay, stubble; [13] Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the Day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. [14] If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. [15] If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."
I almost never get involved in OSAS vs. CS (Cond. Sec.), and in fact it has been so long since I last did so that I was even sure I would never post on one again. Just like discussing charismatic doctrine on non-charismatic or mixed forums, these types of topics are too divisive, cause many to stumble through anger and bitterness and strife, and really, in regards to OSAS vs. CS, there is little-to-no need these things be addressed, by me at least and outside of my own fellowship. Both sides have missed the true qualifications for eternal Life as are given in God’s Holy Word, the only accepted Standard. So it is more important I---and you too---be "all things to all men," with "the hope [at least] some might be saved" (sorry that that comes across condescendingly, I couldn’t think of any other way to put it), and get back to the basics---"the sincere milk of the Word"---of what qualifies someone to inherit eternal Life (and not just how someone gets to await Judgment Day in Paradise instead of hell, but rather where they will spend eternity after that Day).

The above ref. passage from 1 Cor. 3 is often used by OSAS believers, and may even be the most often used in defense of their belief, and yet it is among those least applicable. If someone were able to consider it in its full context and from a purely objective perspective---impossible to do apart from a specific act of Grace---they would recognize that it does not at all confront the issue of eternal Life. Paul is not addressing the qualifications for eternal Life, but is speaking of those who already qualified. He is addressing those such as Apollos (v’s. 4--6) who are building upon his apostolic foundation. The passage is purely about the additional rewards, or lack thereof, that will be given to those who inherit eternal Life. These rewards, as many know, will most likely determine what position someone will be given in the theocracy of the eternal, New Jerusalem, Age.

Btw, key words in both the above Scripture and my dialogue are "apostolic" and "foundation." It is assumed by Paul that his words are to be understood to apply only to those who have at their core, a true apostolic foundation. Already in Paul’s day the apostles were outnumbered 12/13 to 10,000 ("though you have 10,000 instructors in Christ"). The vast majority did not personally recognize the authority of the apostles and their doctrine, instead choosing to themselves the 10,000 who held to a lesser, more palatable and pedestrian and patronizing, watered-down version (by severe implication of the Word). So of course since these masses did not have an apostolic foundation---

Regardless, any doctrine regarding eternal Life is not, if it is to be true, reached by referencing this passage or that passage, but is based upon all applicable Scriptures being assembled, all traits of God and general Kingdom principles being applied, etc., then all of that compared against whatever doctrine was believed revealed by God to the church. If the "theorized" doctrine was indeed from God and not from the hearts and minds of self-justifying men, that doctrine will align perfectly with all Scriptures speaking of eternal Life, and all attributes of God, and all principles of the Kingdom, etc., and all without having to jam square pegs into round holes.

There is only one doctrine which so aligns itself, and it is neither OSAS nor CS. It is thus: eternal Life is promised by God only to those who have allowed Him, by Grace and (S)spirit only, by Grace and (S)spirit only (sic), to perfect them in His Love (not to be confused with sinfulness; it is the Love of God working through them which is perfect, for that Love itself "will cover the multitude of sins"---avail., of course, only through the Blood of Jesus). Period; there’s only one Gospel.

Whether or not a person lives long enough to be perfected in God’s Love, is of course in God’s hands, and will determine whether they will have enough time to bring forth Fruit of "gold, silver and precious stones," and also is of course a factor in whether that Fruit will be 30-, 60- or a 100-fold. Our responsibility as those once born-again and started in Grace, is to along the Way not harden our heart against God’s process of perfecting us in His Love---which practically all in this post-modern church have fallen prey to, them already being "beguiled" (KJV; 2 Cor 11) by the same watered-down Gospel which appeared already in the first century. "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge," and the lack of apostolic foundations in church doctrine has resulted in a pandemic spiritual famine ("half" the church has gone the way of liberalism, trampling on Grace as they consider it a common-to-be -used thing [Heb. 10:26—29; "I’m not perfect, just forgiven" is their bumper sticker]; half the church has gone the way of the Galatians, being started by the Spirit but then succumbing to self-righteous works of flesh, believing and claiming such are what James 2 has called for). Truly, truly, I’m sorrowed to say.

While of course not the only ones, the following Scriptures are applicable to the only true, apostolic, unadulterated Gospel of Christ Jesus:

1 John 2:[3]And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His Commandments. [4] He that saith, "I know Him," and keepeth not His Commandments, is a liar, and the Truth is not in him. [5] But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the Love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him.

Luke 10:[25]And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and [tested Jesus], saying, "Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?’ [26] [Jesus] said unto him, ‘What is written in the Law? how readest thou?" [27] And [the lawyer] answering said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." [28] And [Jesus] said unto him, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."

1 John 4:[16]And we have known and believed the Love that God hath to us. God is Love; and he that dwelleth in Love dwelleth in God, and God in him. [17] Herein is our Love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the Day of Judgment: because as He is [perfect in Love], so are we in this world [IF indeed we are]. [18] There is no fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in Love.

Rev. 22:[14]Blessed are they that do His Commandments, that they may have right to the Tree of Life, and may enter in through the Gates into the [Holy] City [the yet-to-come New Jerusalem, not the present-day Paradise]. [CONVERSELY---]

Ephes. 2:[8]For by Grace [ONLY] are ye saved through Faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the Gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Jas. 2:[17]So then also Faith by itself, if it hath not works [of the Spirit; of Grace], is dead.

But of course, those wanting to remain rebellious, and therefore lawless, who agapao love their remaining heart idols more than the unadulterated Truth of God and the Light that Truth seeks to shine upon the still-darkened hearts of the once born-again Christian, will have their opinions and conjectures and humanistic insistences which will differ from what is claimed Truth above (nothing personal implied by me).

The Good News, however: God offers more Grace, and second and third chances, even if what is needed is a Grace of repentance by those finding themselves without the desire to repent: just ask Him, in Jesus’ name, and believe, nothing wavering.

"Today, if you will hear His Voice, harden not your hearts. . . ."

"Grace and Peace be multiplied onto you," those marvelous "manifold Graces of God," brother jim

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
To many word for me..........
What are you trying to say?

Terry

Terrywoodenpic said:
Too many words for me. What are you trying to say?
Extracted from "my" other thread, "The 411 on Judging":

Up until 2,000 years ago, God winked at sin, but ever since has commanded every human being to, 1) Love God with all facets of their being, and; 2) Love every human being they know to exist, even all enemies, even at times to the degree Jesus Loved us by dying for us. For those who will commit in their heart and mind to so do---by receiving one Grace after another until they are either perfected in God's supernatural Love or they die in the process---they will live forever in a New Heaven with God and in a glorified body. (If not, they will be resurrected to stand before God and be judged by Him.)

brother jim
[email protected]