• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodoxy vs Orthopraxy in Heathenry

EyeofOdin

I feel talking about "beliefs", particularly discussion of correct orthodoxy, as a defining part of Indigenous Teutonic Heathenry is terribly misleading. I don't think that they had beliefs per se, more like theories. They were very practical, because of this I think that if there wasn't evidence for something, they didn't believe it. If they didn't receive an omen of some sorts, it wasn't really conceptualized then passed down with the ancestral knowledge. I could be wrong, just my theory.

Beliefs are for religions of scripture. If you believe in Jesus, you go to heaven without actually doing anything. If you believe in Allah, you go to heaven. Judaism seems to be an exception however.

Indigenous Traditions are about results from practice and ancestral knowledge. If internal thought doesn't reflect external reality, I wouldn't call that a set of (and I use this word very lightly) belief, I'd call it a fantasy.

Some newbies are getting so caught up in cosmology, mythology and orthodoxy, that they become a sensitive zombie satisfied with thinking happy thoughts, something our ancestors wouldn't have recognized. I think that our ancestors were more concerned with practices that had results (called today UPG) and mythology expressing how they saw the gods based on that UPG.

This probably was a pattern across European cultures, as Romans and Etruscans were described to believe that lightning wasn't caused as described by the mythology, but it was caused by clouds crashing together. With that said, Jupiter still controlled how clouds moved so that they caused lightning.

Sure, I think it's really cool to think and talk about the ideas they had or the mythology surrounding things like the afterlife, cosmology, nature of deities etc. and I enjoy taking part in those discussions academically, but they stay in the realm of academics. When beliefs are enforced and categorized as "Heathen" vs "Not Heathen", I not only find it stupid and rude, it's silly, arbitrary and completely contemporarily monotheistic.

What I find most disheartening is when people get so pissy whenever people of one indigenous culture will honor a foreign deity. Polytheism is open, flexible and ever-evolving. I've heard Polytheism and Paganism described as "an ever growing, moving, evolving" thing, and that it's not a "fly trapped in amber". Polytheism is very simple: poly- many, theism- deities; many deities.

I then look at the pagans disgust. How can anyone say "I'm going to turn aside a god, because it's not my culture"? That's like saying that someone won't assist another person because (s)he's of another ethno-linguistic group. It's arrogant, dishonorable, racist, completely arbitrary and a violation of the fundamental indigenous value for hospitality. Go and find me a culture which didn't have this fundamental ethic, I sure can't find any, within Europe at least.

So when I see a Heathen spewing nonsense about correct beliefs, dividing lines between cultures and honoring foreign gods, and that the only Heathens are those who are exclusive in their worship and have the correct beliefs, I say "the only of us who isn't a 'proper' Heathen is you."

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Again, so much win in this post. :clapping:

Some newbies are getting so caught up in cosmology, mythology and orthodoxy, that they become a sensitive zombie satisfied with thinking happy thoughts, something our ancestors wouldn't have recognized. I think that our ancestors were more concerned with practices that had results (called today UPG) and mythology expressing how they saw the gods based on that UPG.

I'm trying to not get caught up in this. I made that mistake in practicing Hinduism and dabbling in Buddhism. Of course that's not the reason I left them, but it is a real danger in any religion. Philosophy and mental masturbation can be a real stumbling block to practice. No, I don't believe there is an unimaginably huge ash tree that is the center of the universe, or that there are only nine worlds in the cosmos. Much as I would like to believe it, I don't believe Thor is a huge bearish muscular bearded figure. He is thunder itself, among his other attributes. Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that the spiritual journey is made difficult by trying to focus on the abstract and unmanifest forms; we need to relate to something. So Thor became a huge bearish muscular bearded figure. The best form of worship is living life according to the tenets of one's religion. In our case, we have the re-conned Nine Noble Virtues.

Sure, I think it's really cool to think and talk about the ideas they had or the mythology surrounding things like the afterlife, cosmology, nature of deities etc. and I enjoy taking part in those discussions academically, but they stay in the realm of academics.

To remove them from the academic realm and take them literally is to invite and fall prey to what I call "superstitious silliness".

What I find most disheartening is when people get so pissy whenever people of one indigenous culture will honor a foreign deity. Polytheism is open, flexible and ever-evolving. I've heard Polytheism and Paganism described as "an ever growing, moving, evolving" thing, and that it's not a "fly trapped in amber". Polytheism is very simple: poly- many, theism- deities; many deities.

Suffice to say this is a sore spot with me also. I haven't encountered it in real life, but the internet is fairly crawling with these narrow-minded prejudices.

I then look at the pagans disgust. How can anyone say "I'm going to turn aside a god, because it's not my culture"? That's like saying that someone won't assist another person because (s)he's of another ethno-linguistic group. It's arrogant, dishonorable, racist, completely arbitrary and a violation of the fundamental indigenous value for hospitality. Go and find me a culture which didn't have this fundamental ethic, I sure can't find any, within Europe at least.

I would only offer that deities from disparate pantheons be worshiped or venerated according to the cultures they come from. That's just common courtesy. I mentioned in the other thread about alcohol on the dinner table if I invite people who are recovering alcoholics. Another example is if I have friends who are Muslim or observant Jews, I certainly wouldn't serve them a pork roast, or serve a top round roast to Indian friends! But this doesn't mean I'm not going to have Muslim, Jewish or Indian friends because I like sausage and peppers, and a prime rib.

So when I see a Heathen spewing nonsense about correct beliefs, dividing lines between cultures and honoring foreign gods, and that the only Heathens are those who are exclusive in their worship and have the correct beliefs, I say "the only of us who isn't a 'proper' Heathen is you."

Unfortunately, that exists in almost all religions. People are the same all over.