• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oracle Deck

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I know a full Tarot deck contains 78 cards. I just ordered an Oracle deck though which contains 35 cards. Other than containing less than half, what is the difference and how do the tasks that I can accomplish with them vary? Hey, it was the Anubis Oracle so I had to have it. :D

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
From the almighty Wiki:

Oracle card decks claim to provide insight and positive outlooks to people. They are conceptually similar to divinatory tarot cards, but they are often not divided into playing card suits. They often lack what is often seen as the "darker" images of traditional tarot cards. Unlike the Tarot, oracle cards are not known to be used for card games. Oracle decks often differ in the number of cards. Common themes used in oracle card decks involve the power of positive thought and metaphysical beings such as angels, fairies, mermaids and unicorns. These cards are sometimes called "fortune telling packs"

More of the article here.

Wieldthescythe

seeker of knowledge
I know a full Tarot deck contains 78 cards. I just ordered an Oracle deck though which contains 35 cards. Other than containing less than half, what is the difference and how do the tasks that I can accomplish with them vary? Hey, it was the Anubis Oracle so I had to have it. :D

Sorry i can't answer your question, but i just wanted to say i ordered an Egyptian oracle deck as well. I think the deck i am getting only has 22 cards. I tell you how effective my deck is once i've tried it.

I have wondered about these decks as well. I haven't ordered any yet, however. I am planning on creating my own Tarot deck for hoots.

Keep us posted once you both figure them out!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I actually drew my own deck based on this one. I'm now waiting to get some contact paper in order to laminate them and then use them :)

Thats cool you are making your own! What kind of imagery do you plan to use?
I have been using Tarot for years, and have a few books on the symbolism of the Tarot, so I was going to create my own combining a few of the traditional, achetypal images with images of my own I have discovered to resonate the same basic meanings.

I am still in the rough stage now, but when I get farther along, I'll post some of them for you to see.