• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions on stem cell research

Ori

Angel slayer
Called the Holy Grail of biology, stem cell research is set to transform the lives of every living thing on this planet. By manipulating genes, people will soon be able to design their own babies.
Do you think this new scientific breakthrough is a great step forward, or Pandoras box?

Saw11_2000

Yes great great step forward!

Bio-engineering will hopefully one day, stop diseases from being carried down from mother to child. And it might cure alzheimers, etc. It's very exciting.

person

It's great that we can save lives with it, but it brings up the moral question of whether we should be tampering with life. We are mortal creatures who are suppost to die. Is it our place to stop a disease that should have killed us? Before we know it humans will be able to live forever (literally) and then how can we contol the growth of the population? We'll use all our natural resources and die anyway.

almifkhar

i will be the odd ball here i guess. stem cell research is a REAL BAD IDEA!!! humans playing god is a bad thing. just look at our progess at it so far. we have single handly destroyed our environment almost to the point of no return, we wage war and mass murder our fellow humans and creatures and for what, greed. just think of all the dr. hydes out there just waiting to power trip on this new technology, and think of all those who will get screwed in the end. this is one of those things that sounds like a real good idea, but then that is when you realize that man will screw it up just like everything else he touches.

Pah

Uber all member
stem cell research is set to transform the lives of every living thing on this planet. By manipulating genes, people will soon be able to design their own babies.
Correct me if I am wrong, but stem cell research is not connected to generic engineering. Did you have a single point you wanted to discuss?

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
person said:
Is it our place to stop a disease that should have killed us?.
Think about that thought when you're going for chemotherapy when you get cancer, when you take those asprines when that headache hits or that flu injection next year...

orichalcum said:
people will soon be able to design their own babies
I don't agree with this. Watch a movie called "Gattaca", it suggests how we'll do this to screw things up for ourselves...

DC85

person said:
It's great that we can save lives with it, but it brings up the moral question of whether we should be tampering with life. We are mortal creatures who are suppost to die. Is it our place to stop a disease that should have killed us? Before we know it humans will be able to live forever (literally) and then how can we contol the growth of the population? We'll use all our natural resources and die anyway.
Well by that time I am almost certain we will inhabit more then just earth. The universe seems like a large enough and almost empty place. If indeed our species lives long enough to do these things.

almifkh said:
humans playing god is a bad thing.
How exactly can one "play" God?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think the thought of having better cancer treatments, alzhimers cures, AIDs cures, and cures for the several other uncurable conditions is wonderful. It would show alot of progress if the blind can see, the deaf can hear, and the paralyzed can move. Also the ability to grow organs would be great. Having an organ of the correct blood-type and little chance of being rejected would bring piece of mind to thousands waiting for an organ transplant.

Named

[font=&quot]
Think about that thought when you're going for chemotherapy when you get cancer, when you take those asprines when that headache hits or that flu injection next year...
Don't forget corrective lenses! That's an insult to the imperfect vision infallible God 'blessed' you with.
Enjoy your -daemon- vision! *hisses*

Despite the ambiguity of the topic post, I will respond to the conjecture anyway-

I cannot form an opinion on designer babies... A child is the product of his/her parents, their DNA. If you alter that, how is it even yours anymore? Does it not defy the very purpose of procreating, individually and specially?
Bah...

What say you, peoples![/font]

seagull

orichalcum said:
Called the Holy Grail of biology, stem cell research is set to transform the lives of every living thing on this planet. By manipulating genes, people will soon be able to design their own babies.
Do you think this new scientific breakthrough is a great step forward, or Pandoras box?
It's a great step forward!