• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions about the 2008 Presidential Canidates!

hannahrose1209

*~Forever Wondering~*
I would like know what your opinions are about our new Canidates and what you think their strengths and weaknesses are. I would also appriciate it if you would tell me who you would support and why.

Thank you so much!!

Smoke

Done here.
I like Kucinich and Gravel, because they're the only two real progressives in the pack.

I dislike all the rest so far.

Depending on just how bad Republicans screw things up between now and next November, I'll probably vote for whoever the Green Party candidate turns out to be. In the unlikely chance that it looks like the Democratic candidate has a snowball's chance in hell of carrying South Carolina, I'll vote for whoever that is, just to be on the safe side.

The truth is, the Republicans could nominate Satan with Hitler as his running mate, and people in South Carolina would say, "But they're pro-life and pro-gun!" and vote for them anyway. I hate the electoral college.

powder21

Always Changing
I very much like like Kucinich, unfortunately, I am aware that he does not have much of a chance of winning the nomination. I know that a lot of people will tell me to vote for who I like anyway, whether or not I think they have a chance of winning. The problem with that, however, is that most people will not follow suit. It's like voting for an independent rather than a democrat or a republican. To do that is to throw away your vote because an independent could never overtake the prominent parties.

That being said...When it comes to the Democratic party, Clinton, Obama, and Edwards are the only hopefuls. As far as Edwards goes, he claims to be a "working man's" man, but I don't buy it. His character just does not strike me as sincere in any way. My vote had belonged to Clinton before she even announced that she was running, however things have changed a bit. While she did fight the good fight when her husband was president, but she lost that war and I'm not sure that her health plan is the best one. Mind you, the three health plans tend to be the exact same from what I can understand (and I have read all three proposals), however, I think Obama has the best idea with opening the plans that the senators themselves get to the public for purchase. Unfortunately they all still seem to be a little like "empty promises". What has changed my support to Obama are two things. One, I'm actually liking the fact that he's a rather "new" politician and I think that leaves him more open to unorthodox ideas. Two, I just happen to like him as a person more. Not that Clinton is a bad person. It's kind of hard to explain. It's almost like the "vibe" that I get from him. If I had my choice of who I wanted to hang out with between Obama and Clinton, I would choose Obama. And that's typically a way that I'm able to discern someones character.

As far as Republicans go...umm...I'm a Dem :) Although, if there's one Republican that I would vote for, it would be John McCain. In fact, if it came down to him or Obama, I would actually have a very difficult choice. I don't like the fact that McCain is now supporting the war (not to mention playing a little partisan politics), but he has had a very good history as far as agreeing with my point of view on many issues in the past. He also has a very good history with bipartisan solutions to problems. However, I am so against the war, that even if he is nominated, I probably won't vote for him :(

Anyways, I hope this has been an informative read.

The truth is, the Republicans could nominate Satan with Hitler as his running mate, and people in South Carolina would say, "But they're pro-life and pro-gun!" and vote for them anyway. I hate the electoral college.
I agree. Popular vote is the ONLY way that it should be determined. I don't care how it may affect a close votes when recounts are demanded.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Mitt Romney would make an excellent President. The problem is, he does not play well in the South. I believe the Mormon issue is a pretty ignorant reason, but we have alot of ignorant people voting, (look at the last two elections). :sorry1:.

McCain would make a fine President, but I believe he is unelectable. Hillary would beat him in short fashion. Ron Paul makes alot of sense and then he makes a turn off the freeway. He has the best of intentions, but he scares me.

Hillary reminds me of the Janet Reno days where anyone with a gun should be burned with their women and children.

I really really liked Obama until he answered my e-mail about gun control. I can chill on abortion issues and not get in the way with health care and even Gay issues. Not respecting the second amendment is totally unacceptable to me. I can get drafted as a kid and sent half way around the world and issued an automatic weapon, abide by all the laws my entire life and now I make some people nervous if I own a gun safe?

Edwards is not genuine, nor is Hillary for that matter. If you want someone who is going to tell you what you want to hear, I guess that's fine. Joe Biden looks real Presidential however.

I gotta tell you that Rudy G. is electable. Is he sure he is a Republican? It don't matter, I can't see another Republican in office for a third term. The Democrats will really have to step in it during the election for us Republicans to pull this election off.

One dark horse is on the horizon. Fred Thompson will show America just how hysterical Hillary really is. A common sense candidate who is very Presidential has a shot at beating her. The good old boy from the South can win alot of red states.

gnomon

I would like know what your opinions are about our new Canidates and what you think their strengths and weaknesses are. I would also appriciate it if you would tell me who you would support and why.

Thank you so much!!

I will sooner vote for a corpse than any of the pretenders being belched up by the dregs of our collective political consciousness. So rather than engage in the political process at all next year I think I'll take the Constitution out for a drink and we'll remember the days gone by.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I will sooner vote for a corpse than any of the pretenders being belched up by the dregs of our collective political consciousness. So rather than engage in the political process at all next year I think I'll take the Constitution out for a drink and we'll remember the days gone by.

I'll be working as a poll manager that day. Whether I bother to vote myself is a question yet to be answered.

Usually there's a proposal or something of that sort, though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The only one I have seen that I like so far is Obama. I have not looked at how all the potential candidates stand on certain issues yet though.

jonny

I like Romney because I think he'd be good for the economy and fiscal responsibility in Washington DC. I also like that he has a reputation for fixing problems. I was impressed with what he did in Salt Lake during the Olympics. I don't like that he has been inconsistent on social issues. I feel that he has compromised on too many of his values.

storm2020

It doesn't matter who you vote for anyway because whoever wins will be shown footage of the JFK assassination and then given their new "agenda".

SoyLeche

meh...
what don't you like about it?

edit: to answer the OP, I am voting for Romney because my church sent out orders telling us we have to.
I haven't gotten that memo, but I think they have brain-washed me enough without it. I have no more free-will.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I don't like the idea of the electoral college. I don't like that our system basically forces a two-party race.

I don't like our system either but for quite a different reason. I don't like the popular vote, that isn't how our country set it up and I like it better the old way.

Yeah, if I choose not to vote I'll get excommunicated. :(

anyone hear that Romney's campaign HQ was broken into last night? I cannot type how that makes me feel.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I haven't gotten that memo, but I think they have brain-washed me enough without it. I have no more free-will.

oh, you mean the weekly reminders from the pulpit that it is our religious duty to vote for Romney and if we don't we won't be allowed to populate hundreds of worlds with our harem of beautiful virgins?

It convinced me too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hook, line, and sinker.
I was hoping it wasn't real. But I can imagine some churches trying to force people to vote for a certain candidate, and using fear tactics of saying you will be ex-communicated, burn in hell, etc., if it's discovered your voted for a different one.