• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open sky treaty. Do want foreign military aircraft flying overhead?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Trump has intentions to pull out of the treaty.

Trump administration expected to announce exit from 'Open Skies' treaty - CNNPolitics

Personally I have mixed feelings.

On one side I don't want to see an arms race and I understand that checking on one another to ensure treaties are being kept can help with International stability, yet on another side I don't really trust foriegn nations either being on the level as they fly through another country's airspace as they inevitably could be doing other activities that might prove detrimental in the future.

Thoughts?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump has pulled us out of too many treaties that have mainly served to stabilize the world.

These fly-overs are important for *us* to do inside of Russia to keep track of their nuclear potentials. Reciprocity seems fair. Both sides can go a bit further than the other might want, but both are kept in check also.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Trump administration expected to announce exit from 'Open Skies' treaty - CNNPolitics

On one side I don't want to see an arms race and I understand that checking on one another to ensure treaties are being kept can help with International stability, yet on another side I don't really trust foriegn nations either being on the level as they fly through another country's airspace as they inevitably could be doing other activities that might prove detrimental in the future.

Thoughts?

Can't think of a good reason for this.

Shad

Veteran Member

Thoughts?

Legal spying, nothing more.

dianaiad

Thoughts?

It's enough that we have satellites that see every single square inch of the earth. We don't need airplanes. All satellites can do at the moment is take pictures. Planes can do a whole lot more. I have enough US planes flying over me...so many that a day without two or three sonic booms is worrisome.

Don't want other folks contributing to the noise.