• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open-Minded

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Describe open-minded / closed-minded. Which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Pixies and alien abductions?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
My observation is that many people use close minded to describe anyone who does not agree with them.

I would say that some is open-minded if he is wiling accept that he might be wrong and that he may need a new paradigm.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
CaptainXeroid said:
I would say that some is open-minded if he is wiling accept that he might be wrong and that he may need a new paradigm.
Which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Pixies and alien abductions?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
CaptainXeroid said:
My observation is that many people use close minded to describe anyone who does not agree with them.

I'd go along with that - intransigence to me is the definition of close-minded; Deut will no doubt come and tell me I'm wrong, but I'm happy with that - self opinionation. Open minded ? - I can't better your definition.:)

Prima

Experience, I think. The experience of being totally sure you're right and then finding you're wrong opens your mind, as does discovering something surprising or uncomfortable and having to come to terms with it.

As for close-mindedness...probably being taught or having to deal with a whole lot of stupid people who call themselves openminded but who are actually afraid to have an original thought on a matter.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Deut will no doubt come and tell me I'm wrong, but I'm happy with that - self opinionation.
On the contrary. I think 'intransigence' is an excellent indicator of closed mindedness. Given that, which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Pixies and alien abductions?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Pixies and alien abductions?
Logical, I would say. Unless there was evidence to suggest the existence of pixies and alien abductors.

Open-mindedness is the ability to see from APOVs.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No pixies no alien abductions Not gullable

Terry

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Deut. 32.8 said:
If someone refuses to consider that he may be wrong in any belief whether its the existence of Pixies or God or anything else, I would ascribe close-minded to that person.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
If someone refuses to consider that he may be wrong in any belief whether its the existence of Pixies or God or anything else, I would ascribe close-minded to that person.
Deut said "doesn't believe" as opposed to "refuses to admit that he may be wrong". It's ok to believe in something, but you can still admit the possibility of being wrong.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Frubals on your head Unedited. This is an awesome topic.

People hide behind many things to escape "truth". Some use logic. Some used an altered reality. Some use bias. I am sure that there are LOTS of ways people hide from the truth but Pride and Arrogance are the chief culprits that stop people from seeking the truth.

While some wish to belittle what they don't understand, a true seeker will entertain the impossible to see if they have been in error.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
NetDoc said:
Frubals on your head Unedited. This is an awesome topic.

People hide behind many things to escape "truth". Some use logic. Some used an altered reality. Some use bias. I am sure that there are LOTS of ways people hide from the truth but Pride and Arrogance are the chief culprits that stop people from seeking the truth.

While some wish to belittle what they don't understand, a true seeker will entertain the impossible to see if they have been in error.
Best answer so far

Terry

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
Very well, then tell me: which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Vishnu, Pixies and alien abductions?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I guess that would depend on why they DIDN'T believe in them Deut. Everyone believes in something. Without faith, your life would grind to a standstill. Really, really!

Unedited

Deut. 32.8 said:
Very well, then tell me: which term would you ascribe to someone who does not believe in Vishnu, Pixies and alien abductions?
Why would this person need a label? I don't see believing in something, no matter what it is, as intrinsically open or closed-minded.

TrueQ

I've got a quick, easy test, if someone in a heated argument says to the other guy, "Hmm, maybe you're right." honestly, then that person is open-minded, even if they quickly add, "Probably not, though."

Fluffy

A fool
I view anyone who holds a belief as being closed minded.

I would qualify that by saying that somebody who states that they believe in x but are open to the possibility that they could be wrong, is not holding a belief.