• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Christians: what are the limits of mixing denominations?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Keep in mind we are not in a debate section, so please do not correct anyone. I'm just gathering and don't want to get into an argument about who is or isn't a christian or why I shouldn't believe this or that. (sorry posted in wrong section) These are important considerations, but I have a bigger question I am thinking about which is beyond the scope of the thread. Answer any of the following questions you wish, and don't feel obligated to answer all of them.

At what point is catholicism and protestantism together syncretism and at what point are they in the same religion? In your view. You don't have to defend your view and would actually disrupt the process. What is the overlap? Would being both be impossible?

On a personal note: If I, a protestant and the son of many generations of protestants, goes into a catholic diocese and joins their church does it mean that I have left one church for another? If a baptist is also catholic is either church insulted? Is Christ harmed by this or the church harmed? Are unbelievers harmed or the world or the gospel?

Is it down to a particular denomination such as only anglicans or only anglicans, methodists and lutherans?

What if a Greek Orthodox joins a Roman Catholic church or vice versa?

What about the newer denominations and ones that people often consider to be cults?

What about quakers? Can quakers be in any denomination/catholic/orthodox/protestant?

What about universalists?

What about marriages between different kinds of Christians or people in denominations with catholics?

There is a story in 2 Kings 5 in which Elisha grants that Naaman be forgiven for bowing to the god of his master. Is this how each church is to regard the worship of churches with which we disagree, or is it too judgy? Not enough of a distinction? Is this for example how the baptist ought to view the catholic's worship that involves rosary beads, sprinkling, gorgeous robes, transubstantiation etc. or should a baptist/etc view them in some other way?

As for me and my opinion: I think that the current boundaries of denominations are too heavy and too respected and ought to be ignored. I won't defend my opinion in this non debate thread, but that is what I lean towards. This is not news to anybody. I just don't view any churches as perfect enough for it to matter.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This is a very interesting topic.
Christians share so many values; they have so many values in common.
So, in my humble opinion, if we focus on what brings us together, I guess it's positive. Absolutely positive.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
As for me and my opinion: I think that the current boundaries of denominations are too heavy and too respected and ought to be ignored. I won't defend my opinion in this non debate thread, but that is what I lean towards. This is not news to anybody. I just don't view any churches as perfect enough for it to matter.

Galatians 3:28
"neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Acts 10:34
"Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism".

GardenLady

Regarding Catholicism and Protestantism, it seems to me that there are so many flavors of what one would call Protestant that they cannot be lumped together in a meaningful way. The “mainline” protestant denominations that are liturgical and creedal churches have far more in common with Catholicism than fundamentalists or. evangelicals. And yet, within the “mainline” denominations there are subsets that are at odds with one another—examples are the Lutheran synods such as Missouri, Wisconsin, and ELCA, and within Presbyterianism, the PC-USA versus others.

I would say that those who accept the Apostles Creed have a great deal in common m, yet are not syncretistic, because none will relinquish the areas in which they disagree, whether papal authority, ordination of women, or close vs open communion.