• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or many?

Rick123123

I seem to be seeing many people reffering to God as if there is more than one. People seem to be seperating the God from their religion from others. So what is it? Is God one being or many?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How would you decide between one god and many? On what grounds would you base your decision? So far as I can see, there is no evidential basis for prefering one god to many.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Rick123123 said:
I seem to be seeing many people reffering to God as if there is more than one. People seem to be seperating the God from their religion from others. So what is it? Is God one being or many?
For me, there is one God, and he is the God in the Holy Bible. There, we are told that God is represented as the trinity. I have taken an extracy from:- www.newadvent.org/cathen/07409... , which defines the trinity thus:-

The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion -- the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another. Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.

The reason I took this reference is because, to be quite frank, getting to grips with the holy Trinity is not an easy task, and I would have hated to have made a mistake.

Other Christians denominations believe in the same God.

That is for me, as a Christian.:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that there is no basis for prefering one god to many other than faith in the revelations of the bible, koran, or other religious literature. Does anyone agree with me about this?

robtex

Veteran Member
Rick123123 said:
I am thinking it may have to do with the assignement of attributes. Like a God of lighting or a Goddess of a particular season. Monotheists by contrast assign all the attributes to one entity and describe their God as "all encompassing".

Rick123123

michel said:
For me, there is one God, and he is the God in the Holy Bible. There, we are told that God is represented as the trinity. I have taken an extracy from:- www.newadvent.org/cathen/07409... , which defines the trinity thus:-

The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion -- the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another. Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.

The reason I took this reference is because, to be quite frank, getting to grips with the holy Trinity is not an easy task, and I would have hated to have made a mistake.

Other Christians denominations believe in the same God.

That is for me, as a Christian.:)
Yes but do you al lthink that the God that is proposed in the bible is exactly the same God that is spoke of in the koran, or the torah?

robtex

Veteran Member
michel said:
How do you make a "mistake" if your belief is based on faith? Just curious by that statment.

alowyn

Rick123123 said:
Yes but do you al lthink that the God that is proposed in the bible is exactly the same God that is spoke of in the koran, or the torah?
overall, i follow the belief of one god, many avatars. The god spoken of in the Quran is a different avatar to that in the bible or torah, or any other religion. But it's still the exact same god (or, as i believe, the same ultimate reality)

Duwayitheru

I believe in one Divine, with many names or aspects. I believe that the Gods of my religion, and all other religions, are all really parts of the same Divine.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Gardenia put it very well, I thought.

I think of Diety in forms of 'gods' and 'goddesses', even though I percieve the entirety of them (and the spirits of humans, plants, animals and stones) as being simply aspects of what I tend to call the "Great Mystery".

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sunstone said:
It seems to me that there is no basis for prefering one god to many other than faith in the revelations of the bible, koran, or other religious literature. Does anyone agree with me about this?
(Sorry, I must have missed this post when I read through it the first time.)
I agree. I would imagine prefering (as opposed to believing) in one god versus many would probably be an aspect of personality. I wonder what traits would contribute to one or the other...

Scott1

michel said:
Obviously, because of my Christian, label, I believe in one God.:)
Agreed....

Above all guard for me this great deposit of faith for which I live and fight, which I want to take with me as a companion, and which makes me bear all evils and despise all pleasures: I mean the profession of faith in the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. I entrust it to you today. By it I am soon going to plunge you into water and raise you up from it. I give it to you as the companion and patron of your whole life. I give you but one divinity and power, existing one in three, and containing the three in a distinct way. Divinity without disparity of substance or nature, without superior degree that raises up or inferior degree that casts down. . . the infinite co-naturality of three infinites. Each person considered in himself is entirely God. . . the three considered together. . . I have not even begun to think of unity when the Trinity bathes me in its splendor. I have not even begun to think of the Trinity when unity grasps me. . .
-St. Gregory of Nazianzus

capthowdy

Astarot
Rick123123 said:
That question can only be answered with philosophical veiw points, and then it becomes "who's right and who's wrong"......I say believe what you will just don't oppress it on others..

In matters of opinion debate is pointless..

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How would you decide between one god and many? On what grounds would you base your decision? So far as I can see, there is no evidential basis for prefering one god to many.
I believe there is an opposite force to everything. I side with the many gods side of the debate. I have come to believe there is one god and goddess, and the patron gods as being spirits who have reached the highest level of spiritual enlightenment.
The Lord is one, demons are many...
Well, that is if you believe in demons. I wouldn't refere to my patron gods or guardian spirits as demons, primarily because there not.

Ulver

alowyn said:
overall, i follow the belief of one god, many avatars. The god spoken of in the Quran is a different avatar to that in the bible or torah, or any other religion. But it's still the exact same god (or, as i believe, the same ultimate reality)

Gardenia said:
I believe in one Divine, with many names or aspects. I believe that the Gods of my religion, and all other religions, are all really parts of the same Divine.

I agree pretty close to these beliefs/thoughts because to me it makes the most sense.

Though it makes all of these religious wars and divisions between religions all the more ironic and sad. We kill Each Other, we kill Nature and we kill God through our stupidity.