• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once a christian, always a christian

lukethethird

unknown member
I believe it's how you act.

Say a killer walks into a church and says he's suddenly a christian. For a week he does all the christian things, then he goes out and kills again. Then goes back to church again, then once again kills with no attempts to change himself. Then no I would not consider them to be a christian.
Say said killer claimed to be killing Jews because his Bible says the Jews killed Christ?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Say a killer walks into a church and says he's suddenly a christian. For a week he does all the christian things, then he goes out and kills again. Then goes back to church again, then once again kills with no attempts to change himself. Then no I would not consider them to be a christian.

I see your point, Warborg, but I know that Christians can do horrible things to people. Christians aren't immune from being evil, and doing evil things to other people. I can speak firsthand to that, so I don't agree with "No true Scotsman" argument, to be honest.

Lain

One doesn't really know what a person is going through so I don't think we should make that judgment. Consider the drunken monk.

We Never Know

No Slack
I see your point, Warborg, but I know that Christians can do horrible things to people. Christians aren't immune from being evil, and doing evil things to other people. I can speak firsthand to that, so I don't agree with "No true Scotsman" argument, to be honest.

Some people are evil no matter their walk of life.

We Never Know

No Slack
Hitler: In 1928 Hitler said in a speech: "We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideas of Christianity... in fact our movement is Christian."

He said all kinds of things, which is my point. He used supporting christianity to gain popularity and gain his rise to power.
Once in power, the real person shown through.

Warborg

One doesn't really know what a person is going through so I don't think we should make that judgment. Consider the drunken monk.
The drunken monk story is a good read but I left one word in my example which was key and that was 'attempt'. I agree that it is hard for some people to break habits. but if they try and continue to try...then it is different then those that don't try at all.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In Hitler's eyes, Christianity was a religion fit only for slaves; he detested its ethics in particular.

Religious views of Adolf Hitler - Wikipedia.
Hitler is a very contradictory figure. Not just because of his actions. But he was a man of many contradictions. Claiming he was X isn’t all too fruitful. Because it sort of depends on the specific time more than anything.
He used Christianity as a weapon. Only apologists say otherwise. Yeah he persecuted Catholics. But many Christian sects themselves despise Catholics and see it as paganism/Satanism. He denounced homosexuality but frequently defended his “token gay” until he outlived his usefulness.

Can we all just agree the man was an awful human being regardless of his religion or lack thereof?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Take the atheist argument of since Hitler was raised a christian he stayed a christian. Does that hold any truth?
Putting aside whether its is an atheist position or not, yes it holds a tiny twig of truth. If you're from Queens can you suddenly be from Detroit? Its like that. If you're from Detroit you talk like it, drive like it, move like it, eat like it unless you change all of those things. You can change but not instantly. You can't suddenly have a lifetime of experience in Queens. That takes time. You're from Detroit. You know Detroit, what is there and how to get from A to B in Detroit.

If I give you a tattoo, it doesn't magically remove or change easily. It becomes part of your skin. Similarly if I teach you Christianity, you will always be marked as a result, not in your skin but in your mind. Its in your mind, maybe in your feelings and mannerisms.

If that's true how many of you here are really atheists? I mean if you were raised a christian/in a religion, doesn't that mean you are still that?
That's a related question that connects to whether society can continue as it is without Christianity. People on RF discuss this, sometimes. Does European culture derive from Christian culture? Its a similar question.

Its not the same question. Is an atheist who used to be a Christian really an atheist? They're an atheist if they want to be and if they are able to put aside belief in God. Then they are an atheist, but they are still marked by Christianity. They may have years invested in it. In a way Christianity owes them, and they owe it. I'm not talking about a debt but about a relationship. If you break up with someone you're dating there are some feelings involved, some knowledge. You can be nice or nasty about it, but you're still slightly connected. You have a connection.

So where does Hitler come into this? He uses his relationship with Christianity. He uses it for political gain. That happens, and the Christians fall for his manipulation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Take the atheist argument of since Hitler was raised a christian he stayed a christian. Does that hold any truth?

If that's true how many of you here are really atheists? I mean if you were raised a christian/in a religion, doesn't that mean you are still that?
Weird hobby of yours: starting threads about straw man versions of atheist arguments.

InChrist

Free4ever
He said all kinds of things, which is my point. He used supporting christianity to gain popularity and gain his rise to power.
Once in power, the real person shown through.
Exactly. Hitler was a perfect example of antichrist behavior and using Christianity and Christian terminology to deceive and gain power.

“Hitler was a good potential Antichrist. His opposition to God, plain enough now, deceived many at first. While deliberately out to destroy Christianity and replace it with his neopagan occultism, Hitler pretended that he was the champion of real Christianity. And in many ways his pretense was convincing, for Hitler officially opposed homosexuality, immorality, occultism (though he was involved in occultism/immorality). He claimed to be God's representative to establish His kingdom upon earth, and regularly invoked the name and blessing of God in his speeches. For example:
1940: "We pray our Lord that He would continue to bless us in our battle for freedom....

1941: "We believe we shall earn the blessing of the Supreme Leader...the Lord God has given His approval to our battle. He will be with us...in the future....”

Antichrist's Coming World Religion

“Hitler may have used religious language for political gain. But does anyone really think that Hitler was sincerely and consistently worshiping a Jew whose guiding principle was to love God and your neighbor as yourself? Whatever Hitler believed, it wasn’t orthodox Christianity…Hitler called Christianity one of the great ‘scourges’ in history and wanted Germans to be the ‘only people immunized against this disease.'” [1]”

Was Hitler A Christian?