• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Thomas Paine...

niranjan

First of all, I wish to say I am very honoured to speak on Thomas Paine, whom I consider to be one of the greatest men who ever walked on earth.

I read this when I was in school and I have never forgotten it all these years. This is one of the most powerful quotes I have ever read in my life and which has greatly influenced me.

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

-----Thomas Paine

As they say , "Quality is better than quantity."

This single quote of Paine, is worth more than a thousand religious discourses and a thousand discourses on philosophy.

In the past few weeks , I have been going throug his amazing works online, studying them, especially "The Age of Reason" , and I found it to be very educative indeed.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that Abraham Lincoln , an another hero of mine, was a student of Paine as well, and had gone through Paines works carefully. And Lincoln is considered world wide to be americas greatest president.

So did Americas greatest inventor, Thomas Alva Edison, who is a self-confessed fan of Paine.

And so indeed is Robert Ingersoll, one of Americas greatest humanists,political leaders and orators, who himself have influenced millions.

I also learned that it was Thomas Paine himself, who coined the name, 'United States of America ' .

Paine was also a fighter for abolition, women's rights, child's rights and animal rights long before they became popular.

It is also a fact that Thomas Paine was the man who influenced and created the american revolution , and greatly influenced the french revolution as well, both of which set the example and standard for republicanism, democracy and equality to the whole world. And indeed every nation and people who pride on their democracy, republicanism and equality and freedom should be grateful to Thomas Paine.

And what I most admire in Paine is his terrific strength of character, which never compromised on his principles.

In fact his staunch idealism and integrity created problems for him in life, as he attacked even his friends who were not following what he felt to be right and proper.

For example Paine attacked Washington, saying "I do not know whether you have lost your principles or that you never had any" ,when he realized that the American revolution had been hijacked by an elite, as was happening in France. He was also violently opposed to Washington owning slaves.

Napoleon claimed he slept with a copy of 'Rights of Man' under his pillow and went so far as to say to Paine that "a statue of gold should be erected to you in every city in the universe." However, Paine quickly moved from admiration to condemnation as he saw Napoleon's moves towards dictatorship, calling him "the completest charlatan that ever existed."

I guess if Paine was a hypocrite , and didn't criticize Washington or Napoleon, his life would have been much easier . That indeed is true, but I guess Paine 'unfortunately' had too much strength of character , which prevented him from doing anything of that sort.

Which reminds me of a quote by George Bernard Shaw...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. "

Below I would like to put a few quotes by Thomas Paine, which will shed more light on his brilliant mind....

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.

---Thomas Paine

The war is actually begun. The next gale that sweeps from the North will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms. Our brethren are already in the field. Why stand we here idle? Is life so dear, peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me... Give me Liberty or give me Death!

---Thomas Paine

(Washington himself found this speech so uplifting that he ordered it to be read to all his troops on 25 December 1776, prior to commencing his crossing of the Delaware.)

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

---Thomas Paine

“Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.”
---Thomas Paine

“'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.”
---Thomas Paine

“Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.”

---Thomas Paine

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.”

---Thomas Paine

“He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression;for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.”
---Thomas Paine

“The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance”.
---Thomas Paine

“One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests”.

---Thomas Paine

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow”

---Thomas Paine

“An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”

---Thomas Paine

“Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law”

---Thomas Paine

The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection”

---Thomas Paine

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true”

---Thomas Paine

It is an affront to treat falsehood with complaisance”

---Thomas Paine

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.”

---Thomas Paine

I also wish to state that it is my personal conviction that Thomas Paine should have become the first president of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, or at least a president after that, considering his unparalleled contribution to the American revolution.

And if he had indeed become the president of the UNITED STATES , the history of America and the whole world would have drastically changed for the better. Sadly , it was not to be.

However his disciple and student, Abraham Lincoln,through his own presidency, rectified this grave historical error to a certain extent.

Here is a link on Thomas Paine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

niranjan

Quotes on Thomas Paine

"Thomas Paine needs no monument made with hands; he has erected a monument in the hearts of all lovers of liberty."

-- President Andrew Jackson

I have always regarded Paine as one of the greatest of all Americans. Never have we had a sounder intelligence in this republic… It was my good fortune to encounter Thomas Paine's works in my boyhood… it was, indeed, a revelation to me to read that great thinker's views on political and theological subjects. Paine educated me then about many matters of which I had never before thought. I remember very vividly the flash of enlightenment that shone from Paine's writings and I recall thinking at that time, 'What a pity these works are not today the schoolbooks for all children!' My interest in Paine was not satisfied by my first reading of his works. I went back to them time and again, just as I have done since my boyhood days.

---Thomas Alva Edison.

"I never tire of reading Paine."

-- Abraham Lincoln

"I consider Paine to be our greatest political thinker."

- Thomas A. Edison

Most Americans don't know a lot about Thomas Paine, but they carry Thomas Paine with them. Thomas Paine really defined the American spirit.

--Harvey Kaye

He (Thomas Paine )saw oppression on every hand; injustice everywhere; hypocrisy at the altar;venality on the bench,tyranny on the throne; and with a splendid courage he espoused the courage of the weak against the strong.

--Robert Ingersoll

"Had he been willing to live a hypocrite, he would have been respectable, he at least could have died surrounded by other hypocrites, and at his death there would have been an imposing funeral, with miles of carriages, filled with hypocrites, and above his hypocritical dust there would have been a hypocritical monument covered with lies."

-- Robert Green Ingersoll on Thomas Paine, in "Our Infidels"

yuvgotmel

"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true"

---Thomas Paine

That's one of my favorites.

Here is the excerpt:
From the time I was capable of conceiving an idea, and acting upon it by reflection, I either doubted the truth of the christian system, or thought it to be a strange affair; I scarcely knew which it was: but I well remember, when about seven or eight years of age, hearing a sermon read by a relation of mine, who was a great devotee of the church, upon the subject of what is called Redemption by the death of the Son of God. After the sermon was ended, I went into the garden, and as I was going down the garden steps (for I perfectly recollect the spot) I revolted at the recollection of what I had heard, and thought to myself that it was making God Almighty act like a passionate man, that killed his son, when he could not revenge himself any other way; and as I was sure a man would be hanged that did such a thing, I could not see for what purpose they preached such sermons. This was not one of those kind of thoughts that had any thing in it of childish levity; it was to me a serious reflection, arising from the idea I had that God was too good to do such an action, and also too almighty to be under any necessity of doing it. I believe in the same manner to this moment; and I moreover believe, that any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system.

~Excerpt from "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine~

Here is my own story:
.....I remember that I was about six years old at the time of my first taste of blood. Oh, wait...It was "grape juice." I sat there in the pew wide-eyed and trembling as my father handed me the wafer and plastic cup of a swallow's worth of grape juice. For some reason, that tiny little crumb and dribble of juice scared me to no end. I remember the preacher reading the scriptures about eating the flesh. I was trembling. I felt weak in my stomach. Everyone in the congregation ate their wafer. All except me. I just held it, not even wanting to be holding it. Then I remember hearing the preacher talking about drinking the blood of Christ. I shivered and looked at that little plastic cup. Everyone guzzled it up. All except me. I just sat there not knowing what to do. My dad was getting irritated at me for not participating. I remember his words to this day: "Missy, it's not real blood. Missy, drink it. It's not real blood. Missy, it's not real blood."
I dreamed of Thomas Paine last year. It was a fascinating dream with many historically-accurate elements (of which I did not know the history of before having the dream). The thread is available here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51273

niranjan

Any person who has made observations on the state and progress of the human mind, by observing his own, cannot but have observed that there are two distinct classes of what are called thoughts — those that we produce in ourselves by reflection and the act of thinking, and those that bolt into the mind of their own accord. I have always made it a rule to treat those voluntary visitors with civility, taking care to examine, as well as I was able, if they were worth entertaining, and it is from them I have acquired almost all the knowledge that I have.

--Thomas Paine ( Age of Reason)

This is a classic case of complementing reason with intuition, and to use reason to get rid of the superstitions, as taught by the hindu prophet Vivekananda in the following link.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50064

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I greatly appreciate the works of Thomas Paine, especially since he was a great source of inspiration for the founding of the nation.
I put him right next to Sun Tzu and Lao Tzu with wise quotes of inspriation.

niranjan

I greatly appreciate the works of Thomas Paine, especially since he was a great source of inspiration for the founding of the nation.
I put him right next to Sun Tzu and Lao Tzu with wise quotes of inspriation.

And the greatest irony is that he is still not properly recognized by his countrymen, even though he was clearly the greatest among them, past and present.

And american friend of mine in an another forum stated " I think it is a shame there isn't a major monument to Thomas Paine in D.C. for all that he did to start this nation, he even coined the name! "

This says it all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And american friend of mine in an another forum stated " I think it is a shame there isn't a major monument to Thomas Paine in D.C. for all that he did to start this nation, he even coined the name! "
Very true. He should have recieved his monument LONG before Washington.

niranjan

And here is what an another wise middleaged american friend of mine said in an another forum,( where I put this same thread)when I complained about Paines obscurity.....

****Its is much worse then you think. A few years ago there was a show called the greatest american. People could call in and vote for the 100 greatest Americans of all time. Thomas Paine, Thoreau, and Emerson did not make the list. Here are some that made the list.

#1 Ronald Reagen (even his son thought this was a joke.)

#6 George Bush

Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood, Modonna, and Michael Jackson. all made the list. *****

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
****Its is much worse then you think. A few years ago there was a show called the greatest american. People could call in and vote for the 100 greatest Americans of all time. Thomas Paine, Thoreau, and Emerson did not make the list. Here are some that made the list.
I remember watching that show in World History, and similiar show for the 100 or so greatest people of the past 1000 years. I don't think Paine was on the 1000 year show either.
I was (tragically) the only one in that class that nominated Thomas Paine when the teacher had all the history classes make a list. Unfortunatly, Paine didn't make that list either. Plenty of Saints, inventors, authors, athletes (which IMO, do not belong on such a list), but alas, no Thomas Paine.

People should not be able to claim to love this country unless they are aquianted with his works.

niranjan

TRIBUTE TO THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN REBEL WITH A CAUSE

Let them call me rebel, and welcome; I feel no concern from it. For I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul.
---Thomas Paine

Pariah

Let go
TRIBUTE TO THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN REBEL WITH A CAUSE

Let them call me rebel, and welcome; I feel no concern from it. For I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul.
---Thomas Paine

God, I love that quote.

Kudos to all the quotes you put up here. I saw you did a bunch on "intuition" in the Buddhism directory and here again. Love 'em.