• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the nature of auspiciousness...

ajay0

Below are some sayings on the nature of auspiciousness from various Hindu and Buddhist masters that I have compiled for better understanding of the subject from the perspective of eastern philosophy.

An unsteady mind attracts negativity. - Dr.Hansaji Yogendra

Auspiciousness comes only through balance. ~ Nirmala Devi

“When you have inner calmness then you automatically succeed in what you do. The more silent you are from inside, your thoughts and actions become more powerful.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

“Just be calm and relax. You will get all your answers automatically.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Once you are thoughtless, you are in the realm of the Divine. And then the Divine takes charge and It will start emitting such beautiful vibrations that you’ll be amazed at yourself how things are working out. ~ Nirmala Devi

If the surface part of the mind is very disturbed, very agitated, it results in gross impure vibrations. ~ S.N.Goenka

It is the mind which creates all these different types of pollution. As long as the mind remains impure, it will continue to generate unhealthy vibrations, making the entire atmosphere full of misery. ~ S.N.Goenka

When samadhi is weak the mind is very agitated, and it is agitated only when it is generating some impurity, some type of craving or aversion. With these impurities, you cannot expect to generate good qualities, vibrations of metta, of karuna (compassion). It isn't possible. ~ S.N.Goenka

What are vibrations? How do they affect us?
Mr. S. N. Goenka: Everything in the Universe is vibrating. This is no theory, it is a fact. The entire Universe is nothing but vibrations. The good vibrations make us happy, the unwholesome vibrations cause misery. Vipassana will help you come out of effect of bad vibrations - the vibrations caused by a mind full of craving and aversion. When the mind is perfectly balanced, the vibrations become good. And these good or bad vibrations you generate start influencing the atmosphere all around you. Vipassana helps you generate vibrations of purity, compassion and goodwill - beneficial for yourself and all others.
----------------------------------------------------

We are thinking all the time about the future and the past. One thought rises, falls off, another thought rises, falls off. So we are jumping on the cusp of future and past. But in between those thoughts there’s a little space that is the present. The past is finished and the future doesn’t exist. So what exists really? Reality is present. So when you stand in the present, you become thoughtlessly aware. And this state is the first state you achieve, and this is the state where you become absolutely peaceful within yourself. The peace is so great that you enjoy your peaceful existence. Not only that, but you become the source of peace. Wherever you go, you emit peace.~ Nirmala Devi

You are transmitters. Everywhere you are sitting in meditation you are transmitting vibrations, do you know that ? At that time if you are thinking say of your jobs and your other things which you have been thinking before, the transmission is poorer. Think of love. Think of the whole country, think of the whole world at that time. You are transmitters of these waves of love, and love will flow from you. ~ Nirmala Devi

So from here, we can see that it is the agitated mind that is productive of negative vibrations or inauspicious energies while the equanimious mind is productive of positive ones.

The Bhagavad Gita states that mental equanimity is yoga and leads to skill in action.

Awareness or mindfulness comes about in an equanimous mind.

What agitates the mind is numerous strong desires in the form of cravings and aversions. In an extreme form, these cravings and aversions take on the form of vices like greed, hatred, lust,egoism,inordinate attachments which are the source of all crimes as well devoid of virtue.

In the enlightened sage, the mind is equanimous at all times, and this results in undisturbed awareness or mindfulness productive of positive vibrations and energies which have a beneficial effect on those around them.

In a village in my district , there lived a female enlightened master in the last century. This region, in comparison to other regions have a very low crime rate and low incidence of natural disasters which people attribute to the master's grace. Even now one can still feel the positive vibes and auspiciousness over this place and it is now a popular tourist site as well.

I know of similar other regions which has an auspicious air about it due to the presence of enlightened sages. I think this is the factor that is in work at pilgrimage sites too.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
a village in my district , there lived a female enlightened master in the last century. This region, in comparison to other regions have a very low crime rate and low incidence of natural disasters which people attribute to the master's grace. Even now one can still feel the positive vibes and auspiciousness over this place and it is now a popular tourist site as well.
Thank you for sharing the quotes, very inspiring

And very true, that's also my experience. I visited a few holy sites in India and the atmosphere oozed serenity and Peace

I like this female Saint
AnandaMayiMa.jpg

The Crimson Universe

An unsteady mind attracts negativity. - Dr.Hansaji Yogendra

Auspiciousness comes only through balance. ~ Nirmala Devi

“When you have inner calmness then you automatically succeed in what you do. The more silent you are from inside, your thoughts and actions become more powerful.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

“Just be calm and relax. You will get all your answers automatically.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Once you are thoughtless, you are in the realm of the Divine. And then the Divine takes charge and It will start emitting such beautiful vibrations that you’ll be amazed at yourself how things are working out. ~ Nirmala Devi

If the surface part of the mind is very disturbed, very agitated, it results in gross impure vibrations. ~ S.N.Goenka

It is the mind which creates all these different types of pollution. As long as the mind remains impure, it will continue to generate unhealthy vibrations, making the entire atmosphere full of misery. ~ S.N.Goenka

When samadhi is weak the mind is very agitated, and it is agitated only when it is generating some impurity, some type of craving or aversion. With these impurities, you cannot expect to generate good qualities, vibrations of metta, of karuna (compassion). It isn't possible. ~ S.N.Goenka

What are vibrations? How do they affect us?
Mr. S. N. Goenka: Everything in the Universe is vibrating. This is no theory, it is a fact. The entire Universe is nothing but vibrations. The good vibrations make us happy, the unwholesome vibrations cause misery. Vipassana will help you come out of effect of bad vibrations - the vibrations caused by a mind full of craving and aversion. When the mind is perfectly balanced, the vibrations become good. And these good or bad vibrations you generate start influencing the atmosphere all around you. Vipassana helps you generate vibrations of purity, compassion and goodwill - beneficial for yourself and all others.
----------------------------------------------------

We are thinking all the time about the future and the past. One thought rises, falls off, another thought rises, falls off. So we are jumping on the cusp of future and past. But in between those thoughts there’s a little space that is the present. The past is finished and the future doesn’t exist. So what exists really? Reality is present. So when you stand in the present, you become thoughtlessly aware. And this state is the first state you achieve, and this is the state where you become absolutely peaceful within yourself. The peace is so great that you enjoy your peaceful existence. Not only that, but you become the source of peace. Wherever you go, you emit peace.~ Nirmala Devi

You are transmitters. Everywhere you are sitting in meditation you are transmitting vibrations, do you know that ? At that time if you are thinking say of your jobs and your other things which you have been thinking before, the transmission is poorer. Think of love. Think of the whole country, think of the whole world at that time. You are transmitters of these waves of love, and love will flow from you. ~ Nirmala Devi

Its nice to hear all the words of wisdom from these masters but instead of just throwing these big grand statements at us and expecting us to follow them no matter what the mental, emotional or physical situation is in our lives, it would be better if these enlightened masters once walk in our shoes and feel the pain and struggle we go through in our daily lives and should try to fix or heal us with their siddhas (yogic/psychic powers) instead of just giving the same old sermons and lectures.

Above we are told to remain calm. How can you expect a person to remain calm if he/she is suffering from anxiety and OCD.

In gita and elsewhere we are told to keep equanimity of mind, vanquish our desires and to remember the Lord.

Is it really possible for a homeless person to maintain equanimity, when he hasn't eaten properly for days. Can he get rid of the basic desire to have a bite and satisfy his hunger? ... or a roof over his head, so that he won't get a heat stroke from sitting all day under the sun?

Can a person suffering from Alzheimer's or Amnesia really remember the Lord's name.

Its better if the masters get to the root of these problems first, like poverty, mental and physical illnesses etc.
Without addressing these issues first, it is not wise to advise people to practice equanimity, meditation or bhakti.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Its nice to hear all the words of wisdom from these masters but instead of just throwing these big grand statements at us and expecting us to follow them no matter what the mental, emotional or physical situation is in our lives, it would be better if these enlightened masters once walk in our shoes and feel the pain and struggle we go through in our daily lives and should try to fix or heal us with their siddhas (yogic/psychic powers) instead of just giving the same old sermons and lectures.

Above we are told to remain calm. How can you expect a person to remain calm if he/she is suffering from anxiety and OCD.

In gita and elsewhere we are told to keep equanimity of mind, vanquish our desires and to remember the Lord.

Is it really possible for a homeless person to maintain equanimity, when he hasn't eaten properly for days. Can he get rid of the basic desire to have a bite and satisfy his hunger? ... or a roof over his head, so that he won't get a heat stroke from sitting all day under the sun?

Can a person suffering from Alzheimer's or Amnesia really remember the Lord's name.

Its better if the masters get to the root of these problems first, like poverty, mental and physical illnesses etc.
Without addressing these issues first, it is not wise to advise people to practice equanimity, meditation or bhakti.
There are things over which one can have control and there are things on which we can have no control - 'niyati' - fate, chance, probability, uncertainty, whatever one calls it. Exercise control, if possible, over what one can control. Others will need help.

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member

Who said that they don't? Many realized masters have karuNA (compassion) and as a result people go to them to solve problems. The master thinks - OK, if I solve their problem, they will be able to focus on adhyAtma.

Also, this is what is said about ParamAtmA Himself :
mUkam karoti vAchAlam |
panguM langhayate girim |
yat kRupA tam aham vande |
paramAnanda mAdhavaM ||

I salute MAdhava the source of highest Ananda (Lord of Lakshmi Ma i.e. VishNu - alluding to Shri KRshNa) who makes the dumb speak and the lame climb the mountain ! Such compassion! I salute thee :praying:

The key is to look beyond and it is the attitude of faith that matters, irrespective of what the situation is.

See the Sai Babas - only a handful of the devotees of Shirdi Sai Baba are truly on the jnAna mArga, many others pray to Him to solve their problems, but also following instructions, being good to others and singing the glories of their master - i.e. in bhakti. This is natural and that is serving them well in preparation of more advanced spiritual life.

On the one hand you reject bhakti marga as dualism, and want to do everything on your own, and on the other hand you are saying this?

The more challenging advise in the BG and other scriptures is for the sAdhak who has fulfilled all the pre-requisites, has crossed obstacles.
Poverty may be a problem, but on the other hand the sAdhus give up possessions and become poor on their own - this is not easy at all.

Let us not forget BG 9.34, BG 18.65, BG 18.66, BG chapter 12... where KRshNa says if A is not easy try B, if B is not easy try C , then again if C is hard try D...
Turning one's back on KRshNa , how can KRshNa help them?

First step is shraddhA - faith. Faith in ParamAtmA BhagavAn, faith in Guru.

manmanAbhava mad-bhakto madyAji mAm namaskuru BG 9.34 , 18.65

mayyeva mana Adhatsva, mayi buddhi niveshaya
nivashisyasi mayyeva atha Urdhva na sauMshayah:
BG 12.8

sarva dharma parityajya mAm ekam sharaNam vraja
aham tvAm sarva pApebhyo mokshayisyAmi mA suchah: ||
BG 18.66

Always think of Me , setup your mind in Me, live in My presence, be my devotee, offer all your actions to Me, consider Me as your only shelter, work for Me, offer fruits of actions to Me, offer everything to Me,
I shall take care of you, and set you free from the sins.

VyAsa also gives clues in Geeta Mahatmya :
The pAndavas were only 5 but they were good and followed KRshNa's advise, and took His shelter. KRshNa became their charioteer and boatsman, this is why they could cross the whirlpool and the crocodile (kauravas) in the battle-river (raNanadi). Only because Keshav (VishNu, KRshNa, Lord or beloved of BramhA (ka ) and Shiva (Isha) and the one with beautiful long flowing hair) was their boatsman.

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

On the one hand you reject bhakti marga as dualism, and want to do everything on your own, and on the other hand you are saying this?

Its not about me brother. I don't need any divine help from a divine being. Its the suffering of others that concerns me.

God usually demands faith and worship from us. And when He's pleased with our actions, he comes to our aid. That in my opinion, cannot be true love.

When you help someone but expect something in return, then that's not pure love.

Love should be unconditional.
God should love us and come to our aid even if we are without faith or devotion. He should heal even a sick atheist. And yet we see suffering all around us. :(

ajay0

Many enlightened masters before enlightenment had gone through heavy austerities, physical and psychological.

An example of this is Siddhartha.

An enlightened sage actually reduces the labor of other aspirants as he provides a roadmap and guidance, along with inputs of chi or prana and auspicious grace, and brings both material and spiritual prosperity.

Imho, these disorders are just the manifestation of past life karmas wrought by cravings and aversions. Strong impressions of vasanas from past lives can result in physical and psychological disorders manifesting anxiety and other psychological issues.

The enlightened sage Sree Narayana Guru teaches us , " Be prosperous through hard work and industry."

Mahatma Gandhi had also stated, " Wealth does not come with gold and silver, it comes with intelligence and good work ethics. "

Mental equanimity results in better quality of work and relationships, and an equanimous person can attain material prosperity faster.

Logic and intelligently applied work, essential for material prosperity, are also factors involved in gaining spiritual prosperity.

Spiritual development, like material success, requires systematic application. ~ Yogananda

Nisargadatta Maharaj was a poverty stricken man who rose to material prosperity through his intelligence and work ethics, and he rose to spiritual prosperity and enlightenment with the same .

ajay0

Its not about me brother. I don't need any divine help from a divine being. Its the suffering of others that concerns me.

Enlightened sages have talked about values like love, compassion, gentleness and non-injury. But you can see that in the slaughterhouse, all these values are forgotten in the name of economics, callousness and meat.

It's not the sages fault that human beings are indifferent to them.

God usually demands faith and worship from us. And when He's pleased with our actions, he comes to our aid. That in my opinion, cannot be true love.

When you help someone but expect something in return, then that's not pure love.

Love should be unconditional.
God should love us and come to our aid even if we are without faith or devotion. He should heal even a sick atheist. And yet we see suffering all around us. :(

You can see the likes of Avatars like Rama and Krishna performing worship to the Shivalingam.

Everything has a price, and the Yoga Vasistha states that anything can be gained by active effort (purushartha).

So why should God practice instant charity (like fast food )and reduce the devotees self-respect, when the devotee gains the same with worship and effort !

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

But you can see that in the slaughterhouse, all these values are forgotten in the name of economics, callousness and meat

Well, if God can incarnate as a human in dvapara yuga to kill demons and bring peace on Earth, what's stopping him now?
Can't he just take another avatara and put an end to all slaughtering, rape and abductions?

It just shows he enjoys this leela of chaos.

So why should God practice instant charity (like fast food )

Because God is our divine father and we are his children. We expect him to come to our aid and shower us with his charitable love, just like an earthly parent would run to his injured son, no matter how disobidient the son is.

The earthly parent may punish the child later due to his evil deeds (i.e. a mild punishment) which is enough to teach us a lesson , but such an earthly parent will never murder his own son in the name of karmic payback.

God's punishment on the other hand is severe. Its either incurable diseases like Aids, cancer or Alzheimer's ... or scorching us in hell, as mentioned in garuda purana and scriptures of other religions.

Also God is interested in the barter system. We give something to him and only then he will shower his love to us. Not before that.

A true compassionate being will love all, without any discrimination or partiality. And most importantly, without the barter system. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ajay0

Well, if God can incarnate as a human in dvapara yuga to kill demons and bring peace on Earth, what's stopping him now?
Can't he just take another avatara and put an end to all slaughtering, rape and abductions?

It just shows he enjoys this leela of chaos.

To understand the yugas and changing conditions, you must understand sankhya philosophy and the gunas of sattva, rajas and tamas.

Also why does God have to incarnate as Avatars most of the time and get all the limelight preventing you from the same...

It is part of His compassion that He is giving you a chance to do good deeds and get the limelight as well. :cool:

Because God is our divine father and we are his children. We expect him to come to our aid and shower us with his charitable love, just like an earthly parent would run to his injured son, no matter how disobidient the son is.

The earthly parent may punish the child later due to his evil deeds (i.e. a mild punishment) which is enough to teach us a lesson , but such an earthly parent will never murder his own son in the name of karmic payback.

God's punishment on the other hand is severe. Its either incurable diseases like Aids, cancer or Alzheimer's ... or scorching us in hell, as mentioned in garuda purana and scriptures of other religions.

Also God is interested in the barter system. We give something to him and only then he will shower his love to us. Not before that.

A true compassionate being will love all, without any discrimination or partiality. And most importantly, without the barter system. :rolleyes:

Even the Avatars like Rama and Krishna performed austerities to gain strength and had to go outside their comfort zone various times.It is said that Brahma himself had to perform tapas (austerity) to create the universe.

So austerities should be performed by all to gain strength. Even demons like Hiranyakashipu and Ravana performed austerities to gain strength. They are called demons only because of the preponderance of vices than virtues in their character.

If you want to discuss this further create a separate thread so as not to derail this thread...

ajay0

“If you make an inner-intent to remain steady in a completely unsteady atmosphere, you will be able to remain steady. This is because steadiness is indeed the quality of your own Self-form. So then, what do You have do with what is unsteady?” ~ Dada Bhagwan

“As much purity one has within, his external circumstances will be that much more favorable. As much impurity there is within, there will be a corresponding amount of unfavorable external circumstances.”~ Dada Bhagwan

Here the enlightened master Dada Bhagwan (Ambalal Muljibhai Patel) teaches us of the nature of the Self which is steady by itself. Mental equanimity ensures steadiness of mind that enables the unveiling of the auspicious Self resulting in favorable circumstances.

Mental agitation and feverishness caused by our uncontrolled desires in the form of cravings and
aversions obscures the auspicious Self preventing favorable circumstances from emerging, and creates unfavorable circumstances instead.

Hence the goal of spiritual exercises like love, compassion, meditation, virtuous conduct and others is the purification of consciousness resulting in auspiciousness.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Without addressing these issues first, it is not wise to advise people to practice equanimity, meditation or bhakti
There are different schools in life
Not all teachings are meant for all

There are universities teaching stuff that some poor uneducated people won't understand, but even a professor in literature might not master physics or chemistry. Does it seem wise to you to stop education in universities, because some won't understand?

Do you also advice that science be stopped, because there are some poor people who won't benefit?

You make a good point though. Masters do teach to feed others first, because when hungry you must be already a Saint to "like meditation etc"; you just took some quotes out of context (the whole story the Masters shared with us)

I think it's great to have all the Teachings, both Scientific and Spiritual. I see no use to censor either one. People can decide for themselves what is most useful to them

Last edited: