• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On screen female puberty. Oh My!!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I feel like I want to get a feminist perspective (and maybe a little later a bit more of a “general one”) on the fairly recent-ish depictions of female puberty in media. And how they differ from previous generations/eras.
I might focus a bit more on the youth programming, but all are welcome.
This article, from my country’s ABC, seems to lay out the current mode of such depictions. (In my country of Australia, this is just a generic public access TV channel, with ties to general journalism. It’s a pretty politically neutral source, just for the context.)

What are your thoughts of these depictions? Any complaints? Any differences between these and those you grew up with?

Comment as you please

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So, I feel like I want to get a feminist perspective (and maybe a little later a bit more of a “general one”) on the fairly recent-ish depictions of female puberty in media. And how they differ from previous generations/eras.
I might focus a bit more on the youth programming, but all are welcome.
This article, from my country’s ABC, seems to lay out the current mode of such depictions. (In my country of Australia, this is just a generic public access TV channel, with ties to general journalism. It’s a pretty politically neutral source, just for the context.)

What are your thoughts of these depictions? Any complaints? Any differences between these and those you grew up with?

Comment as you please

Well, i never turned red or killed my parents...;-)

Menstruation was talked about at home, in fact most all things "taboo" were open for discussion. Living on a farm has its advantages.

I carried a sanitary towel in my school bag from the age of 11 and knew what to expect.

Such a shame that some other families don't treat awkward subjects the same way, it would save a lot of heartache. I applaud these movies for helping to normalise a natural monthly "curse"