• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On our forehead or hand...what does this sound like to you?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
How computers will soon get under our skin - Science, News - The Independent

How computers will soon get under our skin

"A stick-on circuit can monitor heart rate as well as conventional devices, but is weightless, wireless and inconspicuous,

It may soon be possible to wear your computer or mobile phone under your sleeve, with the invention of an ultra-thin and flexible electronic circuit that can be stuck to the skin like a temporary tattoo.

14-skin-_635334a.jpg

The devices, which are almost invisible, can perform just as well as more conventional electronic machines but without the need for wires or bulky power supplies, scientists said.

The development could mark a new era in consumer electronics. The technology could be used for applications ranging from medical diagnosis to covert military operations.

The "epidermal electronic system" relies on a highly flexible electrical circuit composed of snake-like conducting channels that can bend and stretch without affecting performance. The circuit is about the size of a postage stamp, is thinner than a human hair and sticks to the skin by natural electrostatic forces rather than glue.

"We think this could be an important conceptual advance in wearable electronics, to achieve something that is almost unnoticeable to the wearer. The technology can connect you to the physical world and the cyberworld in a very natural way that feels comfortable," said Professor Todd Coleman of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, who led the research team.

A simple stick-on circuit can monitor a person's heart rate and muscle movements as well as conventional medical monitors, but with the benefit of being weightless and almost completely undetectable. Scientists said it may also be possible to build a circuit for detecting throat movements around the larynx in order to transmit the information wirelessly as a way of recording a person's speech, even if they are not making any discernible sounds.

Tests have already shown that such a system can be used to control a voice-activated computer game, and one suggestion is that a stick-on voicebox circuit could be used in covert police operations where it might be too dangerous to speak into a radio transmitter.

"The blurring of electronics and biology is really the key point here," said Yonggang Huang, professor of engineering at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. "All established forms of electronics are hard, rigid. Biology is soft, elastic. It's two different worlds. This is a way to truly integrate them."

Engineers have built test circuits mounted on a thin, rubbery substrate that adheres to the skin. The circuits have included sensors, light-emitting diodes, transistors, radio frequency capacitors, wireless antennas, conductive coils and solar cells.

"We threw everything in our bag of tricks on to that platform, and then added a few other new ideas on top of those, to show that we could make it work," said John Rogers, professor of engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a lead author of the study, published in the journal Science."

Let's see - no more cell phone, laptop, iPad, TomTom or Garmin...or ID and DEBIT CARDS to have to carry around...how convenient...right? Convenient for who, though, is the real question.

Many Sages One Truth

Even if they did, it doesn't mean what some end times folks want it to mean. The mark of the beast historically was a Roman coin with the emperor's image printed on it.

kai

ragamuffin
MOD POST

OK Folks this is the Christianity in General DIR

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Many Sages One Truth

Ok then, I am going to put forth here that we should stick with the traditional context of how the mark of the beast has been interpreted in historical Christianity, and not jump the gun, so to speak. Traditionally the mark of the beast was a Roman coin with Nero on it. I doubt the authors of the Bible even would have understood something like a computer chip.

Kathryn

I'm not saying that this technology is the Mark of the Beast. What I AM saying is that it is entirely plausible - in the very near future - for there to be readily available technology which allows us to ditch those plastic cards and instead rely on direct deposit and autodraft, along with swiping our hand beneath a sensor, to buy or sell just about anything.

To be honest, it makes a lot of sense if we're talking about convenience. But that's not all that would be included in such technology - you can be sure of that.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I'm not saying that this technology is the Mark of the Beast. What I AM saying is that it is entirely plausible - in the very near future - for there to be readily available technology which allows us to ditch those plastic cards and instead rely on direct deposit and autodraft, along with swiping our hand beneath a sensor, to buy or sell just about anything.

To be honest, it makes a lot of sense if we're talking about convenience. But that's not all that would be included in such technology - you can be sure of that.
I'm not sure I like this idea...People already have a hard time with their credit cards because they can't see the balance during payment. Getting rid of the card entirely doesn't seem like it would make that any clearer.

That and I enjoy being hands on. Dropping cards for hand swipes makes things even more cold...

Kathryn

It's a slippery slope - and I say that from my perspective as a banker. Debit cards are just one step away from a microchip or even more advanced technology such as is profiled in this OP.

I can go months without actually holding a single dollar that I earn. It seems like it's just tally points on a big board somewhere in cyberspace. I work this many weeks for this much pay, and it's stored in cyberspace somewhere till I deduct this many tally points using this piece of plastic in exchange for milk and eggs.

I use a credit card for the rewards points, then make the payment online via my checking account, and make donations to my 401K via autodebit from my paycheck. I linked a line of credit to my checking account online so I don't have to worry about overdrafts, and I can check my balance anywhere, anytime via my phone.

It's getting curiouser and curiouser!

Many Sages One Truth

Yeah the reason I brought up the mark of the beast is because some Christians may very well think that's what this will be. I was just emphasizing that the traditional view usually says otherwise.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It's a slippery slope - and I say that from my perspective as a banker. Debit cards are just one step away from a microchip or even more advanced technology such as is profiled in this OP.

I can go months without actually holding a single dollar that I earn. It seems like it's just tally points on a big board somewhere in cyberspace. I work this many weeks for this much pay, and it's stored in cyberspace somewhere till I deduct this many tally points using this piece of plastic in exchange for milk and eggs.

I use a credit card for the rewards points, then make the payment online via my checking account, and make donations to my 401K via autodebit from my paycheck. I linked a line of credit to my checking account online so I don't have to worry about overdrafts, and I can check my balance anywhere, anytime via my phone.

It's getting curiouser and curiouser!
It's becoming harder and harder to separate the idea of "real world currency" and currency found in a role-playing game.

Kathryn

Many Sages - do you see us moving toward a one-world currency and one-world economy? Do you see the possibility of using such technology in place of debit cards and traditional banking? Do you see the possibility of GPS, health information and ID information being contained in such technology and how much more convenient it would be to have that technology placed in a tiny unobtrusive form on your person rather than in a wallet or pocket, where it can become lost or stolen?

Many Sages One Truth

Many Sages - do you see us moving toward a one-world currency and one-world economy? Do you see the possibility of using such technology in place of debit cards and traditional banking? Do you see the possibility of GPS, health information and ID information being contained in such technology and how much more convenient it would be to have that technology placed in a tiny unobtrusive form on your person rather than in a wallet or pocket, where it can become lost or stolen?

I think a one world currency and economy may not be so bad, depending. I know I'm all for something like a NAU. As for all info being contained on a chip, yes I think that would be more convinient, and certainly not as easy to lose.

Kathryn

So would you think it was ominous if this technology replaced debit cards and this was what we used as currency under a single world currency?

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
I recently got a puppy from the county animal shelter. They inserted a small chip, smaller than a grain of rice, under his skin on his front leg. The chip contains my phone # and address in case the pup gets lost.
About the phrase 'in you hand or forehead', I used to think that refered to something that was carried or something that was memorized. Could be like a social security #, the card can be carried or the # memorized.

cAmigo

I believe that:
. on your forehead means what's on your mind all the time.
. on your hand means what you do.

So there is always sign on our forehead and our hand.
A practice of something leaves a mark...