• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On anxiety, and obsession.............

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Are you the sort of person who leaves the house thinking "Now, I did turn the electric fire off, didn't I ?" ? Or maybe "I'd better go back in and make sure the back door is locked".

Most of us do this, it is perfectly normal.

The reason we do it ? - we're not concentrating on what we are doing; we are not being 'Mindful'; being mindful is tuning all your senses onto a particular task, actually thinking about what you are doing..........

Most of use work on 'auto-pilot'; get into the car, to go down to the supermarket, and the next thing you know, you are parking the car..........Did you see the traffic lights at the junction ? do you remember ? - probably not, because you aren't being mindful.

Hence that indecision about the back door being locked, or turning of the fire. But what happens when, instead of going back in to have a look at that back door, you do it not once, but twice, or maybe three times ?

I bet most of us on this forum have done so at one time or another .....Well, that's still fine; there's something bugging you at the back of the mind....you're thinking about whatv you're going to do about Christmas presents this year, and yes, it is bugging you. It is part of the stress of modern day living.

There is so much to do every day, things not to forget, it's amazing how multitasking we are in our thinking.

But what happens if you need to go and xheck on that back door five times ? - is that normal ? The answer is, it is a sign that there is something that you are churning over in your mind. Easy to put right; what was it you were so engrossed over, in thought ? You can usually think of it, in a short time, because it is a problem you really are concerned over........it bothers you, and you wish you knew the right thing to do.

What happens when you begin to realize you are in a habit of repeating one task, over and over agan? (like washing your hands, or checking the windows are all locked, or open...whatever)

You might have Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Now when is it a habit that you can keep a healthy check on, and when is it an illness ? Well, it is easy to tell; it becomes an illness when your day to day life starts to suffer as a result of this repetitive behaviour........

A case in hand:

news_logo.gif

OCD is an embarrassing condition
Gillian Knight was 13 when she first noticed that something was wrong with her everyday behaviour.

She began to worry that something she did or failed to do might cause an accident or harm someone she loved.

Had she turned off the cooker, or the iron? Had she left everything in the house safe?

The thoughts just kept coming into my head all the time and in order to get rid of them I had to check that everything was safe
Gillian Knight

What started as a mild anxiety soon turned her life upside-down.

Gillian, now 43, recalled: "I was having intrusive thoughts that I would accidentally harm somebody or cause an accident.

"I didn't want to hurt somebody, but the thoughts just kept coming into my head all the time and in order to get rid of them I had to check that everything was safe.

"Nothing triggered it. It just happened.

"I remember once spending an hour trying to get out of the bathroom, trying to make sure that the bathroom mat was totally flat so that no one could possibly come in and trip on it.

"But the more I tried to make it flat the less I could guarantee that it was flat.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
part 2.

Vicious circle

"Initially the checking is reassuring but after a while you get more and more intrusive thoughts and have to do more and more checking. It's a vicious circle which you can't get out of.

"If I did not check things I would worry more about them."

Like many people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), Gillian said she was too embarrassed to talk about her condition with her family and used to try to hide her obsessional thoughts and ritualistic actions from them.

"I would spend the evening crying in my bedroom or doing rituals without people watching. I isolated myself.

"The type of intrusive thoughts you get and the rituals you carry out can be really embarrassing. It's very, very difficult to open up and talk about them.

"I felt anxious and at the worst I felt suicidal."

Gillian said two of the main problems she faced were getting a diagnosis and getting the right treatment.

She was eventually diagnosed with OCD at the age of 26 after being treated unsuccessfully for years for what her doctors had presumed was depression.

"When I did get the right antidepressant for my condition the effect was quite dramatic. But I still struggled for a while. Later on I had cognitive behavioural therapy and that really helped."

Thanks to getting the right treatment, Gillian, from north London, says she is able to lead a normal life and works full-time in the city.

"I have my bad days. The intrusive thoughts do not all go away, but they do not bother me anymore."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/4460256.stm

Published: 2005/11/23 00:49:50 GMT

© BBC MMV

The above case was a typical example of the 'five minute fix' - here, have some anti - depressants......... Sure, they will cure the symptoms, they will allow you to relax more, the pills will take all those sharp corners off your thoughts.....but the reason why you were doing the repetitious task, what has been adressed about that ? - Nothing.

I write this because since the mental health forum was started, there have been three threads about anxiety, and, of course, anxiety is what we are talking about...that nasty little mental rumble in the background.

You may not even be aware of it.

The human brain is much like the rest of the body; it will try to 'fix' itself. Most of the time, with small things, it does a good job; sometimes it can't cope. Sometimes, the brain decides that it won't allow you to be conscious about something that really bothers you.....And just to make sure you don't get the time to think about it, it fills your every waking hour with repetitious tasks, just so you haven't the time to stop and think - to take your mind off it.

Anxiety attacks are easy to pick out; more often than not, these are as a result of the flight or fight instinct in us all - sheer nature.

Put in a position of having to challenge something you don't like - or want to commit yourself over, your body goes into the flight or fight 'mode'; adrenaline starts pumping to all the muscles of your body (including the heart) - nature's way of preparing you for the act of running away, or making a stand. The trouble is, that with a lot of these situations, it isn't a matter of running or fighting; so what happens ? - all that potential energy your body has provided you with has to be 'spent', used up. What better way than to make your heart thump ? or to make you hyper-ventilate ? - two of the most common symptoms, allong with that awful 'gut wrenching' feeling (the muscles all around the abdomen go into spasm).

All horribly frightening if you are not aware of what is happening, but mostly, none of which will hurt you.

The hyperventilation is easily quelled. Take a paper bag, and put it up to your mouth, and breathe in and out of it. Within a very short time, your lungs will get fed up with breathing in recycled air, and you breathing will become less rapid, and deeper - because the air you are breathing in is low on oxygen, by now.

Anxiety or panic attacks are, for the ,most part, quite easy to deal with. A few sessions of being told what to do when it happens, and you can learn to control the attacks. Much better than some chemical pill to make you half asleep...........

The 'thumping heart' (am I having a heart attack one) - sure, if that happens to you, go straight to hospital and have an ecg, have your pulse checked, and have your blood pressure measured. If everything comes out 'normal', you're fine.

The next time it happens, you think consciously about how it felt the last time; about the thought you had that you were going to have a heart attack.........which made you panick even more.....which made your heart beat faster.

After awhile (depending on the way you handle yourself), you'll be standing there, saying to yourself "Now I know this is one of those stupid panick attacks; I am not having a heart attack, I know I didn't die last time, and I therefore know that I am not going to die this time".

Just a repetition of this will bring your heart rate down.

You will usually be able to tell if it is a pnick attack or a heart attack anyway, because once you start asking yourself, "Why did I panick ?" nine times out of ten, you'll work out the reason....the guy I bumped into reminded me of my Uncle who used to hit me............

At first, obviously, you must make sure there is nothing wrong with you, physically; your heart - go and have it checked; your stomach churning, and in agony ? well it could be something physicall. ALWAYS go and see a doctor or go into immergency at a hospital to get yourself checked, because, of course, it could be your heart, or it coud be something nasty in your gut.

But you will learn to recognise what is a panic attack, what is O.C.D in a short enough time.

My wife waits until I have locked the front door, got into the car and switched on the ignition to ask me if i did lock the back door. I tell her to go check (nine times out of ten, I can't remember!). next time, she'll remember to ask before i get in the car!:D

the main things are to remember are
1. If you have something that 'sets you off' in some unprleasant way, first have the physical symptoms checked
2. if it is something you had before, and you were checked out O.K, then the likelyhood is that it is a panick attack.
3. Work out what is 'setting you off'
4. learn a method of talking yourself out of the panic.
5. try and stay off all those valium types of medication (they are all addictive, you will need more and more as time goes by (because your body needs an ever increasing dosage to have the same effect), but most of all, you don't need them.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Saw11_2000 said:
I was officially diagnosed with OCD today.
I really am sorry to hear that; seems opportune that I should post this thread today.

Do you think that above post made sense to you? made the diagnosis less daunting?- feel free to P.M me if you would like more suggestions on how to tackle the problem.;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Although I don't, myself, a family member does have it. It seems to manifest more when they're under stress.
Stress is the principal 'trigger' for many psychological problems. Like everything else in life, it is neither good nor bad; it depends on the severity and duration.

Bit of stress good for immune system, under certain conditions

Category: Immune System/Vaccines News
Article Date: 19 Apr 2005
blanktab.gif

New research in mice provides more evidence that a brief bout of stress can give the immune system a beneficial boost - under certain conditions.

Laboratory results showed that acute stress - stress that lasts for minutes to hours - temporarily mobilized all major types of immune cells, or leukocytes to potential battle stations in the body. In certain situations, this stress-induced boost in the number of immune cells may be advantageous, as leukocytes fight infections and other diseases.

Stressed mice had much higher numbers of leukocytes arriving at critical defense organs, such as the skin, than did non-stressed mice.

"Acute stress could help increase immune protection," said Firdaus Dhabhar, the study's lead author and an associate professor of oral biology and molecular virology, immunology and medical genetics at Ohio State University. "An increase in leukocyte activity and availability may enhance the immune system's ability to protect the body during surgery, vaccination or during an infection".

But there is also a downside - ushering an increased number of immune cells to sites of potential immune reaction could worsen pre-existing inflammatory illnesses such as cardiovascular disease or gingivitis, and autoimmune disorders such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis or psoriasis. In autoimmune diseases, the immune system attacks the body.

"Understanding mechanisms that mobilize leukocytes to potential battle stations during stress could help us figure out ways to boost the immune response when it could be most helpful to do so, such as during surgery, vaccination or infection,” Dhabhar said. “And it could also help us tone down the immune response during inflammatory diseases.”

Dhabhar and Kavitha Viswanathan, a graduate research associate in oral biology at Ohio State, reported their findings online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The current study is one of a number of studies conducted by researchers at Ohio State that look at the effects of stress on the immune system. While Dhabhar and his team have focused on the effects of acute stressors, other researchers have found that chronic stress may substantively weaken the immune system.

Leukocytes are always present in the body, but most remain dormant until an immune response is activated by wounding or infection or until the brain identifies a stressful situation. When that happens, the brain releases hormones that set troops of these immune cells into motion. The cells travel to potential battle stations - primarily the skin along with the lymph nodes that drain the skin.

“Most immune challenges or wounds involve on the skin or other epithelial linings of the body,” Dhabhar said. “If nothing happens immunologically following stress - the skin isn't cut or wounded in some other way - activated leukocytes usually return to their resting position in a few hours.”

Some of the mice in the study were restrained in clear plastic ventilated tubes for two-and-a-half hours. These mice - the stressed group - could not turn around in the tube, but they could move forward and backward. This restraint created a brief spell of psychological stress, similar to the kind of stress a person anticipating or undergoing a dental or surgical procedure may feel. The other group of mice - the non-stressed group - remained in their home cages.

Once the stressed mice were removed from the tubes, the researchers implanted tiny sponges underneath the skin on the backs of all of the animals, including the mice in the non-stressed group. These disc-shaped sponges were about the size of a grain of rice.

Sponges were removed from some of the mice six hours after implantation and from the rest of the mice one, two or three days later. The researchers compared the numbers of leukocytes in each sponge once the sponges were removed.

“Just one session of acute stress caused a significant increase in the numbers of leukocytes to collect in the sponge,” Dhabhar said. Indeed, the amount of certain types of immune cells had increased by 200 to 300 percent in the stressed mice.

By that third day, the number of leukocytes that had collected in the sponges of the stressed mice had declined and was similar to the number of cells that had collected in the sponges of the non-stressed animals.

Prior to their implantation, the sponges were soaked in either saline or one of two proteins that the body produces during an immune response. These proteins, called lymphotactin (LTN) and TNF-alpha, attract different types of leukocytes.

After sponges were removed from the mice, the researchers also analyzed the types and quantity of specific immune cells attracted to each of the proteins.

“While all major leukocytes are mobilized in great numbers at the first hints of acute stress, the immune proteins that are generated at the battle site will determine which types of immune cells are further recruited in greater numbers,” Dhabhar said.

“Different types of immune challenges may produce different cocktails of immune proteins,” he continued. “Knowing how the body's stress hormones work with these kinds of proteins to recruit immune cells could help us develop therapeutic interventions to regulate how a person's immune system responds to different challenges.”

Grants from the National Institutes of Health and the Dana Foundation supported this work.

[email protected]
614-688-8562
Ohio State University
http://researchnews.osu.edu

Edit: Just happened to come across this whilst looking for other news;

http://www.ntlworld.com/news/story_uk.php?page_zone=150.7.1&storyid=13792318
OCD sufferers 'wait too long for help'

23/11/2005 15:04

Sufferers of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are waiting too long to get treatment, medical experts say.

David Beckham, Leonardo Di Caprio and Natalie Appleton are amongst the 1-2% of the population who suffer from the condition which makes people obsessively perform specific and often mundane tasks.

But patients are waiting up to 17 years after first suffering symptoms to being diagnosed and receiving treatment, say experts.

Dr Tim Kendall, joint director of the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health, said: "Young people are being disowned by their families.

"People are suffering feelings of shame and embarrassment," he added.

The NHS advisory body, The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), has called for more counsellors to offer the psychological treatments that are most effective.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Saw11_2000 said:
What do you (or the person you are referring to) have obsessions and compulsions about?
With me the obsession is a way of distracting me from either physical pain, or sometimes anxiety itself.

Strangely enough, I have been told all through that 'Knowing what the problem is, is half the cure' ; If only.........

I am lucky though, my 'obsessions' are not severe; they are mostly quite manageable; with me, there is more 'ritual behaviour' - that's another diversion technique. I have a large rug over the carpet in my study which has tassels; I cannot bear to see them untidy.

At least I can see the funny side of it, and I can try to resist tidying them up! The other one (and that doesn't bother me, but gets my wife and children really wound up) - I cannot see a waste paper basket with anything in it; as soon as anyone puts something in one, I have to empty it straight away.

I have been helped to recognize that the compulsion to tidy, and to have everything clean stems from not liking certain aspects of myself; as if by cleaning things, I am 'cleaning my own character'. Like I said, knowing why is supposed to be half the cure; for some reason, it doesn't work with me.