• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omnipresent?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes, spiritual death is described by many as being separated or cast out from God's presence - which I thought meant God is NOT present everywhere and with everyone. For Jesus to experience all that everyone experienced would be to experience being alone I think.

Do you believe that God is not all-present?

I believe God is everywhere but that does not mean we are aware of it.

lukethethird

unknown member
Some say hell is a separation from God, but that would mean God wasn't all-present.

Is God present in hell?

"My God my God, why hast thou forsaken me" - did God forsake Jesus, abandon him? Was not present?

Just curious what people think.
Religion is full of riddles, you could spend a lifetime and then some on them.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

The Quran describes that God encompasses disbelievers but from behind. That is they are running away from him and looking away from God towards some dark idol.

In day of judgment, while disbelievers will know God is truth, they will still be veiled to his beauty. They will forever be distancing themselves from God but will have returned to him from logic stand point. They will see God exists through signs, but veiled to his glory and beauty.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is God present in hell?
IFF God is omnipotent THEN God is in hell IFF [he] wants to be.
"My God my God, why hast thou forsaken me" - did God forsake Jesus, abandon him? Was not present?
Those sentiments are uttered only by the Jesus of Mark and the Jesus of Matthew. (They certainly don't fit the cool, in-charge Jesus of John on the cross.)

I'd say it was intended as a matter of dramatic structure to be the dark hour before the dawn.

Of course, if you ─ unlike any of the NT authors ─ think God is a Trinity then each of those Jesuses was talking to himself.

Bird123

Some say hell is a separation from God, but that would mean God wasn't all-present.

Is God present in hell?

The answer is so simply.
Hell does not exist!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

alypius

Is God present in hell?

What if Hell is not God's abandonment of a person but the person's free decision to permanently turn away from God?

Brian2

Veteran Member
So hell is not separation from God, interesting.

"Sheol" in Hebrew and Hades in Greek is the place for the souls of the dead. I don't see it as "hell" a place of torment for those who are not saved.
The word hades started to be translated as hell and hell somehow became a place of eternal torment. So it ended up that people started being confused about the meaning of hades and sheol.

idea

Question Everything
What if Hell is not God's abandonment of a person but the person's free decision to permanently turn away from God?

That's a nice thought, but there's too many scriptures of God casting people out of His presence - not abandoned, cast out.

How can God cast anyone out of His presence if He is all-present?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Is God present in hell?

Omnipresence implies pantheism or a pantheistic approach. I would suggest that those who believe in Hell don't ascribe to that.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Is God present in hell?

I think he is everywhere, but he can remove his tangible presence. People in Hades can't pray and get answers, IMO because God is not available to them.
Jesus didn't abandon himself. He didn't stop being in the trinity but I think he felt alone because of his humanity at that moment.

Brian2

Veteran Member
IFF God is omnipotent THEN God is in hell IFF [he] wants to be.
Those sentiments are uttered only by the Jesus of Mark and the Jesus of Matthew. (They certainly don't fit the cool, in-charge Jesus of John on the cross.)

I'd say it was intended as a matter of dramatic structure to be the dark hour before the dawn.

Of course, if you ─ unlike any of the NT authors ─ think God is a Trinity then each of those Jesuses was talking to himself.

That would be a misunderstanding of the trinity or maybe just a misrepresentation that makes it sound like unitarianism.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I think he is everywhere, but he can remove his tangible presence. People in Hades can't pray and get answers, IMO because God is not available to them.
Jesus didn't abandon himself. He didn't stop being in the trinity but I think he felt alone because of his humanity at that moment.

I see it as Jesus feeling complete abandonment by His Father and that is part of taking on the consequences of our sins.