• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old school Pagans question/s for you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know Paganism (I'll use the former P) are religions existing before Abrahamic. Way before Judaism. I dont mean to be disrepectful, but I always got the impression that Pagans are reliving what they read in books. For example, if I want to relive the mythology of Athena, the only way I can do so is to read up on her and do what she does and practice her culture whatever it may be.

:fallenleaf:Is that Paganism?

I am used to Christianity, of course, where the "Holy Spirit of Jesus" touches the person before reading the Bible. So, basically, if you took away the Bible, many would still be christian.

:fallenleaf:Is that kind of true or same in Paganism?

Im a naturistic pagan. Not a atheistic because I do believe the spiritual is a part of nature. I cant say if there is a force behind it or what. However, what you see is what you get.

This "direct nature worship by cultural traditions" does not sound similar to Paganism (aka above). It does not sound neopagan (its not eclectic). Its not a religion. So, to label myself Pagan would be labeling myself human.

I know there are many many definitions of paganism...most def I read online to me are neopagan.

:fallenleaf:How do you define yourself as a Pagan?

:fallenleaf:Without needing to compare/contrast here how do you see yourself living with other pagans who identify as neopagan? (Positive please or respective opinions)

I know you may say "I dont care; everyones the same; everyons has their own truth; to each there on" (could be missing one) Thats not my point.

For example, I dont look down on Pagans. I actually find it engaging that one can live their life based on mythology of the gods. Its foreign to my ears. I have not met anyone polytheistic until I met RF. I was thinking of doing that too to bring texture to my faith; but, only to me, I find something artificial about it.

How do I feel about Paganism? It makes me think of how the word pagan is defined. I love poetry and writing it expresses who I am. So, as a pagan, that word describes who I am not what I am. Yet, we have different definitions. Its not just with caping the Ps either. Its also not lile Abrahamic, who we are all abrahamic so it does t matter we all believe in the same god. In Paganism its not that simple.

:fallenleaf:What is a pagan or Pagan to YOU not to others and not in the dictionary?

:fallenleaf:How would you define Pagan or pagan (whichever) objectively?

:fallenleaf:Who do you NOT consider pagan or Pagan?

Of course abrahamic believers ars not pagan or Pagan. Thats not my point.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I've never seen it as living life based on mythology...that would be very much like revealed/scriptural religions, except with the stories not being necessarily (usually, really) written down.

Pagan traditions are much more so culture than specific stories, detailed beliefs, truth claims, etc. They are more about the way you interact with the world, each other, reality as a whole rather than knowing or having faith in key, static concepts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've never seen it as living life based on mythology...that would be very much like revealed/scriptural religions, except with the stories not being necessarily (usually, really) written down.

Pagan traditions are much more so culture than specific stories, detailed beliefs, truth claims, etc. They are more about the way you interact with the world, each other, reality as a whole rather than knowing or having faith in key, static concepts.
Do most pagans today get their culture hand down? I mean, you have those who become pagan...how do they do that if not by what they read?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Do most pagans today get their culture hand down? I mean, you have those who become pagan...how do they do that if not by what they read?

You can reconnect to them in a big way within your own culture most of the time. Universalistic, proselytizing revealed religions don't really replace the pagan cultures, they just cover it up to a degree. They can't truly replace them because they aren't the same type of thing.

Old writings, archaeology, etc. dealing with them also helps to reconnect.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You can reconnect to them in a big way within your own culture most of the time. Universalistic, proselytizing revealed religions don't really replace the pagan cultures, they just cover it up to a degree. They can't truly replace them because they aren't the same type of thing.

Old writings, archaeology, etc. dealing with them also helps to reconnect.
HMmm. So that would mean if I were to connect with my pagan culture, if would probably be native american...but i dont want to call them pagan. Interesting. Or New England maybe

EDIT

All this time I avoided paganism thinking it was more mythology. Which makes me think how do people connect. My family dont wanr to talk about nothing but christianity. My parents taught us the nature and mother the quotr on quote magic stuff...but nothing with texture

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Most of the toolbox of pagan paths comes from lore or intuitive sources. You can't really eradicate that which springs forth within. It might come back with a different name, but it will come back since it is a fundamental part of our natures. Someone will always pick up the radio station and teach it to someone resourceful, and back it will come. :)

Most modern neo-pagans read a bunch and pick something... That's the easy way... The Gardnerian, and Alexandrian forms of Wicca are probably the most popular paganisms... They're not the only ones that exist though -- you have basically someone following or working with every pantheon under the sun -- no matter how old. Personally, I think it is about the aesthetics... most of them are very similar. :)

The hard way -- building a path through spirit work/teachers, and practical methods and experimentation or lore.

Both methods work... Are you looking for a religion or dogma... Or are you looking for a "way"? Are you ready for the pain of finding your own methods?

I guess that is the question you have to answer yourself, but don't play around the the latter method if you are just going to kick the tires. :) Find a nice suit and try it on for awhile from some books you buy from Amazon and see how it fits (and doesn't...) Probably the best way...

Mythology is used a lot to research old practices... If they called Hecate this way in ancient Greece it probably works now... Etc... Just because they seem unbelievable at first doesn't mean there aren't truths within the stories or even practical advice. :)

Sees

Dragonslayer
HMmm. So that would mean if I were to connect with my pagan culture, if would probably be native american...but i dont want to call them pagan. Interesting. Or New England maybe

Native Americans are as pagan as anybody else :p

In New England, or any part of the U.S. - it's going to depend on which specific area and your own family.

Say for me specifically, I'm mostly German and surrounded by mostly German-Americans who settled in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and western NY. The core values, wive's tales, sayings, holiday traditions, traditions of hospitality, some artwork, the language/s spoken, and on and on - have more to do with old Heathenry than anything Christian, even though most of the people are Christian or non-religious.

It's good to learn that stuff about your own region and ancestry even if you feel another is what "you are" deep inside. The more I learned about the old traditions, the more it made sense why I always felt awkward when considering this or that aspect of various religions. The Germanic stuff is as natural as it gets and has an effortless feel, no sense of trying to adopt something or accept strange, unnatural doctrines. It resonates with every fiber of your being if it is the right one for you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Native Americans are as pagan as anybody else :p

In New England, or any part of the U.S. - it's going to depend on which specific area and your own family.

Say for me specifically, I'm mostly German and surrounded by mostly German-Americans who settled in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and western NY. The core values, wive's tales, sayings, holiday traditions, traditions of hospitality, some artwork, the language/s spoken, and on and on - have more to do with old Heathenry than anything Christian, even though most of the people are Christian or non-religious.

It's good to learn that stuff about your own region and ancestry even if you feel another is what "you are" deep inside. The more I learned about the old traditions, the more it made sense why I always felt awkward when considering this or that aspect of various religions. The Germanic stuff is as natural as it gets and has an effortless feel, no sense of trying to adopt something or accept strange, unnatural doctrines. It resonates with every fiber of your being if it is the right one for you.

I dont know why I lost that insight when I first came to RF and revered my ancestors. Plus, its my grandmothers memorial coming up..probably why too. Most my family are Chischan*. Born and raised in the south...where the voodoo, catholic mix with protestant hearings and kkk graveyards marked the history of our small little town. Im up north but still southern.

What I dont like is learning stuff second and third hand. I talk to my grandmas a lot. Thanksgiving coming up should call see whose going were. I finally met most my family. We have a rich history...just thr pagan side no one wants to talk about.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I dont know why I lost that insight when I first came to RF and revered my ancestors. Plus, its my grandmothers memorial coming up..probably why too. Most my family are Chischan*. Born and raised in the south...where the voodoo, catholic mix with protestant hearings and kkk graveyards marked the history of our small little town. Im up north but still southern.

What I dont like is learning stuff second and third hand. I talk to my grandmas a lot. Thanksgiving coming up should call see whose going were. I finally met most my family. We have a rich history...just thr pagan side no one wants to talk about.

For most people the pagan stuff is right under their nose, so to speak...it's all around them and flowing through them - but they just see the major world religions as religion itself and everything else as some type of secular culture. Intentionally or unintentionally it happens most times when a large group of people become converted. The old traditions identity is pushed back into the subconscious, despite being everywhere and part of everything. Elements are outlawed and/or taught as demonic or primitive superstition, some are borrowed while pretending it belongs to the new stuff - basically everything is repressed or appropriated to the benefit of a foreign construct. It's really amazing how successful this process can be!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Both methods work... Are you looking for a religion or dogma... Or are you looking for a "way"? Are you ready for the pain of finding your own methods?

Thank you. I dont know if this are rethorical questions. When I got my nich was when my grandma passed. Then something hit me in the chest and it was like "you got to know your family" inside me. I have always been a nature person but when you think of it, at least from my upbringing, it all connects.

Chanting with the SGI made me lost a lot of that inner feeling for someone else's paradise in dogma. The thing is, I believe in it 100 percent and its a part of me...what it doesnit shows me who I am: a pagan. So its showing my true nature as a pagan.

Anyway, my friends wont understans that connection. I love dogma. So I used to wrap what I do arou d the moon cycles and ways to worship the sun. I remember doing prayers, wow, its only been a year. Gosh. Something about religion-of-the-ancestors click so much.

I found Im morr solitary. Take after mother. Just dont like to have single fellowship. Sometimez I want to talknwith people who believe somewhat as I do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You know what is ironic. Probably one of the best ways to know about my family is by the Bible. How would you approach learning your history while not compromising bias you may have against some of it?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
For most people the pagan stuff is right under their nose, so to speak...it's all around them and flowing through them - but they just see the major world religions as religion itself and everything else as some type of secular culture.

Interesting. I find walking in natural landscapes a very good way of connecting, occasionally I come across a place which seems special somehow.

Sees

Dragonslayer
You know what is ironic. Probably one of the best ways to know about my family is by the Bible. How would you approach learning your history while not compromising bias you may have against some of it?

I think the more you learn about all sorts of religious traditions, all the better. Somebody in the West, even if they have no ties to the Bible, it is wise to learn about it because it has been so influential and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I always think of concentric circles philosophically...whether it's who/what matters most to me, political issues, etc. So the traditions "closest to home" would take precedence in studying.

In my opinion we can't really control our biased perceptions fully but the more we take in data, and analyze/judge for ourselves, rather than just taking in others' opinions on the data, again all the better. We'll always compare to our culture as we see it, what mom and dad or other personally influential people would say, what our gut tells us, etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think the more you learn about all sorts of religious traditions, all the better. Somebody in the West, even if they have no ties to the Bible, it is wise to learn about it because it has been so influential and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I always think of concentric circles philosophically...whether it's who/what matters most to me, political issues, etc. So the traditions "closest to home" would take precedence in studying.

In my opinion we can't really control our biased perceptions fully but the more we take in data, and analyze/judge for ourselves, rather than just taking in others' opinions on the data, again all the better. We'll always compare to our culture as we see it, what mom and dad or other personally influential people would say, what our gut tells us, etc.
Its funny, though. If I believed God exist thiz would be easier. Id have to at least believe he exist to know about them as well. My grandmothers said theyre going back home. At one time before i complefely broke off from christianity i went for them not fkr myselr