• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old copies of the Qur'an

Zxzyx

Why don’t we (the world) have in our possession, a massive number (say 100,000 copies) of the Qur’an today, which date to Muhammad’s lifetime?

I see the way the Qur’an is held in reverence today and can imagine that it has always been that way since the beginning of Islam. Surely then the first Muslims would have copied it and distributed it to bring the truth to all peoples.

By the end of Muhammad’s life there was no threat from invaders who might have put a stop to this. Muhammad would have been told by Allah that his death was near and the Qur’an needed to be compiled in a complete book to avoid any bits being left our or extra bits added and sent to all the people so they might be rightly guided. We know they knew the importance of written copies since when Muhammad recited others wrote it all down.

I’m wondering where these early copies are today since the earliest I can find dates to at least 150 years after Muhammad’s death.