• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olam Haba

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I was thinking about the Hebrew word olam (עולם) and came across this article in Balashon. I'm sure that we're all aware that olam has/can be rendered as either 'world' or 'forever', but I never thought about this in terms of the phrase olam haba: the world to come and the age to come strike me as very different concepts.

I've stumbled upon Balashon in the past and usually find the comments thought provoking - just thought I'd share this one ...

dantech

the world to come and the age to come strike me as very different concepts.

I am not sure why they strike you as different concepts. I mean, in a way you are right, they mean totally different things. However, ultimately they both come down to a time period, in the future, in which existence will be part of a new world.
A world where our laws of physics might not be applicable while spirituality takes over 100%(Isaiah 11:6-11:9).
A world where there is total harmony and peace (Isaiah 2:4).
A world where there is absolutely no confusion or arguments about anything. One where all will recognize that God is one and that He is the creator of everyone and everything!(Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What I mean is that literally, yes, they mean different things. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to understand the mutual meaning they share, and for that reason, I don't understand why they strike you as different concepts.
Because they mean different things. More to the point: world to come seems to me pregnant with the (possible) sense of "other/supernatural" world to come, while age to come carries none of that baggage.

The other thing that I found valuable in the article was the recognition/caution that meaning shifts over time