• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Dogma Vs Individual Interpretation

Raguel

To any who would care to satisfy my curiosity...

To what extent do you accept the official dogma of your religion and do you find that that conflicts with views you hold yourself?

If you don't belong to an official religious organisation is this because of differing interpretations of religious texts/creeds?

If your religion doesn't have an official organisation feel free to add any comments you feel are relevant (or irrelavent for that matter!) anyway...

I don't belong to any religious organisation myself, partly because I like to have my own interpretation of ideas, and I'm interested as to how official doctrines can shape other people's beliefs. :)

Aqualung

Tasty
Being a convert, official dogma frequently conflicts with my views. When that happens, I try to figure out why I believe what I believe, and why the Chruch holds the view that it holds. I study out the two views and pray about it.

Raguel

Aqualung said:
Being a convert, official dogma frequently conflicts with my views. When that happens, I try to figure out why I believe what I believe, and why the Chruch holds the view that it holds. I study out the two views and pray about it.
Which side do you tend to end up on? If there is a view that you cannot agree with the Church on will you accept their view as what is right or maintain your own position?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Raguel said:
A curious one you are...:yoda:
Raguel said:
To what extent do you accept the official dogma of your religion
100%
Raguel said:
and do you find that that conflicts with views you hold yourself?
Sometimes, yes. More in the begining of my conversion then anything.
Raguel said:
I don't belong to any religious organisation myself, partly because I like to have my own interpretation of ideas, and I'm interested as to how official doctrines can shape other people's beliefs. :)
I belong to an organized religion and can still have my own interpretations. :)
What I submit to is a bias.

Aqualung

Tasty
Raguel said:
Which side do you tend to end up on? If there is a view that you cannot agree with the Church on will you accept their view as what is right or maintain your own position?
If I ever ended up thinking that the Church was wrong, it would mean the Church was not true. If the Church was not true, I would leave it. So, I've always ended up on the Church's side.

Raguel

Thanks for the replies guys. Victor, if you agree with their interpretation 100% then how does it leave you free to have your own interpretations? I think I may not be understanding you right, I'm a bit slow (read 'hungover') today!

Aqualung

Tasty
Raguel said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Victor, if you agree with their interpretation 100% then how does it leave you free to have your own interpretations? I think I may not be understanding you right, I'm a bit slow (read 'hungover') today!
CAtholics and Mormons sort of have the same views about this, so I'm going to give my thoughts. He is free to have his interpretations. He also free to leave the church. The fact that he is willingly catholic means that he DOES agree 100% with the church's teachings, or else he wouldn't be catholic, he would be lutheran, or something.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Raguel said:

To what extent do you accept the official dogma of your religion and do you find that that conflicts with views you hold yourself?

I am a minister of a Christian Religious/Scientific sect that prefers to prove all scriptural doctrine.
I am also in possession of an extreme amount of material that I have documented with a BEing who claims to be GOD (which does differentiate from most other established texts). One of the wisest excerpts from these conversations is in the discussion about beliefs.

“BELIEVE EVERYTHING, I say! BUT…ACCEPT NOTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE PROVEN THIS BELIEF TO BE A TRUTH OR AN UNTRUTH.”

So there really is no need for me to imitate faith or to endure conflict but gives me a tremendous amount of freedom to believe and to keep my curiosity fresh while I pursue and discover truth.

lunamoth

Will to love
cardero said:
I am a minister of a Christian Religious/Scientific sect that prefers to prove all scriptural doctrine.
I am also in possession of an extreme amount of material that I have documented with a BEing who claims to be GOD (which does differentiate from most other established texts). One of the wisest excerpts from these conversations is in the discussion about beliefs.

“BELIEVE EVERYTHING, I say! BUT…ACCEPT NOTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE PROVEN THIS BELIEF TO BE A TRUTH OR AN UNTRUTH.”

So there really is no need for me to imitate faith or to endure conflict but gives me a tremendous amount of freedom to believe and to keep my curiosity fresh while I pursue and discover truth.
Cardero, There is something quite invigorating about living in the burned over district, is there not? I refer to the religious awakening that shook our country and especially was centered in upstate NY in the mid-1800s. LDS, the Oneida Coloney, the Millerites and SDAs...that must have been some powerful spiritual storm. I see the storm continues...live it!

lunamoth

Aqualung

Tasty
lunamoth said:
Cardero, There is something quite invigorating about living in the burned over district, is there not? I refer to the religious awakening that shook our country and especially was centered in upstate NY in the mid-1800s. LDS, the Oneida Coloney, the Millerites and SDAs...that must have been some powerful spiritual storm. I see the storm continues...live it!

lunamoth
I read a very interesting book about this "religious awakening" one time...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Aqualung said:
CAtholics and Mormons sort of have the same views about this, so I'm going to give my thoughts. He is free to have his interpretations. He also free to leave the church. The fact that he is willingly catholic means that he DOES agree 100% with the church's teachings, or else he wouldn't be catholic, he would be lutheran, or something.

And another thing y'all have in common (and which Baha'is do as well, I would think) -- there are some things that are doctrine (or dogma) and then there's everything else, on which there is plenty of room for individual interpretations.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Aqualung said:

fwiw, that religious awakening was not limited to the US, or even the West. There were very similar things going on in the Middle East as well.

Mulla Husayn, who was the first believer in the Bab (the Prophet-Herald of my religion), was a member of the Shaykis -- a group of Shia Muslims who were searching for the Qaim, who is a Messiah-like figure in Shia Islam.

There are some other groups as well. If you're interested I can post a few thumbnail descriptions of them.

lunamoth

Will to love
Aqualung said:
Now, I wonder what that book could be...:rolleyes: :D :cool:

BTW, your sig line is amusing! :yes:

cheers,
luna

lunamoth

Will to love
Aqualung said:
Lol, you act like you know something... I'll give you a hint. IT wasn't one of the standard works. STill think you know? :)

Thanks.
Ah, I guess I don't know. :eek: I was thinking you were referring to the Book of Mormon.

lunamoth

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Victor said:
A curious one you are...:yoda:

100%

Sometimes, yes. More in the begining of my conversion then anything.

I belong to an organized religion and can still have my own interpretations. :)
What I submit to is a bias.

I would have said almost exactly the same thing. Hardly surprising given the similarity in many regards between our churches. Of course, exactly what teachings it is that we both subscribe to are a little different (but less so than I once thought). I do get the impression, rightly or wrongly, though, that the RCC is a little more rigid with respect to personal beliefs than we are, but maybe that's just an artifact of all the written definitions you lot go in for?

James

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
When I was taking Hebrew lessons, the Rabbi told us that God repeats himself when the message is important. So I look for those things that are repeated from one religion to the other, and call that God's Truth, anything that's not repeated from one religion to another, is what I label religious dogma.