• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North American versus Asian Cuisine

nutshell

Not to be outdone, I thought I'd post this thread here to compare it with the Euro v. American thread going on.

What do you think? I'm not going to get very detailed here, but wanted to ask what you prefer and why? From my experiences in Asia, it seems they have a combination of the local markets where you can buy farm-fresh produce and mass-produced imported produce. I remember one day I was walking by a farmers market and saw a bundle of carrots unlike any I had ever seen. They were smaller than "normal," were a bright reddish/orange and had big leafy tops. I thought, "Ewww...those carrots are weird!" Upon reflection, I came to realize that's what a "real" carrot looks like. :cool:

Anywho, any recipes or opinions you'd like to share?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Hey, I'd take a plate of pad thai over a burger any day. I love thai peanut sauce....I can never seem to make it right though.

darkwaldo

I think Japanese food is the best in the world!!! Tendon, yakitori, yakiniku, ramen, gyunikku!! I love it all. Well, except nato. ewwww.
I just wish the food was eaiser to find in Missouri.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My diet is almost exclusively asian.

I am a devotee of hot curries and chili's. I also drool over the thought of Japanese and Chinese Cuisine. One of my favorite shows on TV is a series from Japan called "Iron Chefs". I have learned SO much from that show alone, but more so just thinking outside the box when I am creating some new feast.

I love cooking and if I say so myself, I am a good cook.

My Spagetti and Chili are favorites with anyone who knows me. My spagetti is actually so good that I NEVER order it when I am out, because what I get is NEVER as good as what I make, LOL. Fact!

My standard dinner can best be described as "Stir-fry surprise" which amounts to pulling all veggies out of the fridge, slicing, dicing and throwing into the wok. I also use a LOT of lemon in my cooking. I love things tart and a lime or a lemon just gives almost anything a kick in the pants to get your mouth watering. Toss everything on a mountain of Basmati rice... and Nirvana has arrived.

Rice is also a staple of my diet. To me, it is almost the "perfect" food. Even something as simple as plain rice, with manderin oranges, and a dribble of butter can be a marvellous taste treat. Add almonds... mmmmm... (If you have never tried Basmati rice, you simply MUST. You'll never go back.)

Hmmm.... perhaps I should take a few minutes and go make breakfast, lol.

nutshell

YmirGF said:
My diet is almost exclusively asian.

I am a devotee of hot curries and chili's. I also drool over the thought of Japanese and Chinese Cuisine. One of my favorite shows on TV is a series from Japan called "Iron Chefs". I have learned SO much from that show alone, but more so just thinking outside the box when I am creating some new feast.

I love cooking and if I say so myself, I am a good cook.

My Spagetti and Chili are favorites with anyone who knows me. My spagetti is actually so good that I NEVER order it when I am out, because what I get is NEVER as good as what I make, LOL. Fact!

My standard dinner can best be described as "Stir-fry surprise" which amounts to pulling all veggies out of the fridge, slicing, dicing and throwing into the wok. I also use a LOT of lemon in my cooking. I love things tart and a lime or a lemon just gives almost anything a kick in the pants to get your mouth watering. Toss everything on a mountain of Basmati rice... and Nirvana has arrived.

Rice is also a staple of my diet. To me, it is almost the "perfect" food. Even something as simple as plain rice, with manderin oranges, and a dribble of butter can be a marvellous taste treat. Add almonds... mmmmm... (If you have never tried Basmati rice, you simply MUST. You'll never go back.)

Hmmm.... perhaps I should take a few minutes and go make breakfast, lol.

I love Japanese food and everything mentioned.

Iron Chef is a classic!!!

The American version isn't bad, but it doesn't have the same combination of skill and campiness that the orginal had.

Bobby Flay vs. Hiroyuki Sakai??? GIVE ME A BREAK.

Malto Mario vs. Chen Shinichi??? NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Masaharu Morimoto vs. Himself??? Umm...a tie? (he's in both shows for those of you who didn't know)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
nutshell said:
I love Japanese food and everything mentioned.

Iron Chef is a classic!!!

The American version isn't bad, but it doesn't have the same combination of skill and campiness that the orginal had.

Bobby Flay vs. Hiroyuki Sakai??? GIVE ME A BREAK.

Malto Mario vs. Chen Shinichi??? NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Masaharu Morimoto vs. Himself??? Umm...a tie? (he's in both shows for those of you who didn't know)
I agree. Big suprise, eh? My personal fave is Sakai, although all of the contestants are mind-boggling. Not to mention it is so funny with the English voice-overs. A charming show. Heck, I even learned how to CUT things up better, just watching them.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Japanese food is good, esp Yakiniku, but I love a good Malaysian Curry. Thai I'm not so hot on... the flavours are a little... like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

nutshell

YmirGF said:
I agree. Big suprise, eh? My personal fave is Sakai, although all of the contestants are mind-boggling. Not to mention it is so funny with the English voice-overs. A charming show. Heck, I even learned how to CUT things up better, just watching them.

It was a very charming show.

What did you think of the young Japanese Italian Iron Chef they had in later seasons? He seemed pretty good, but didn't have the seasoned experience of the others, IMO. I was never shocked if he lost.

nutshell

ChrisP said:
Japanese food is good, esp Yakiniku, but I love a good Malaysian Curry. Thai I'm not so hot on... the flavours are a little... like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Hey! Great post...you just reminded me of another dish I like!!!

Who else likes Hawaiian poke? Great stuff. It's like suped-up sashimi with a kick.:drool: