• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-duality in Sikhism

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is an interesting point that I would like to discuss. I love Sri Guru NanakDev ji and cannot deride him except in fun as a child may do for his elders, and is excused for his pranks because of his age by the elders who know more. Here is what I get from Wikipedia on non-duality in Sikhism:

"Sikhism is a monotheistic religion which holds the view of non-dualism. A principal cause of suffering in Sikhism is the ego (ahankar in Punjabi), the delusion of identifying oneself as an individual separate from the surroundings. From the ego arises the desires, pride, emotional attachments, anger, lust, etc., thus putting humans on the path of destruction. According to Sikhism, the true nature of all humans is the same as God, and everything that originates with God. The goal of a Sikh is to conquer the ego and realize one's true nature or self, which is the same as God's.

The gurmukh

No longer represents the Absolute to himself, because the distinction between self and other, I and not-I disappears into a knowing that knows without immediately splitting into subject and object."

Treks

Please forgive me for adding this as a side note; Haumai is a term that really gets to the crux of the issue for Sikhi. Translated as ego or pride, it can also be interpreted as 'you-me' and suggesting a division, duality, or separation.

Sikhs are encouraged to conquor this sense of separation of the self from the One and in doing so we merge in realisation with the One right here and now.

When we live with a perspective of haumai then we are always at odds with everything and are at the mercy of dualistic states of being; rich and poor, good and bad, high and low, sacred and profane, joy and suffering, love and hate. The quest is to transcent the tendancy of our mind to haumai by continual rememberance (simran) of the Oneness.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
That is an interesting point that I would like to discuss. I love Sri Guru NanakDev ji and cannot deride him except in fun as a child may do for his elders, and is excused for his pranks because of his age by the elders who know more. Here is what I get from Wikipedia on non-duality in Sikhism:

"Sikhism is a monotheistic religion which holds the view of non-dualism. A principal cause of suffering in Sikhism is the ego (ahankar in Punjabi), the delusion of identifying oneself as an individual separate from the surroundings. From the ego arises the desires, pride, emotional attachments, anger, lust, etc., thus putting humans on the path of destruction. According to Sikhism, the true nature of all humans is the same as God, and everything that originates with God. The goal of a Sikh is to conquer the ego and realize one's true nature or self, which is the same as God's.

The gurmukh

No longer represents the Absolute to himself, because the distinction between self and other, I and not-I disappears into a knowing that knows without immediately splitting into subject and object."

hi Aupman ji ,

what you wanna discuss regarding Non Duality and sikhi ? kindly be precise :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks, Gursikh, for coming forward to help me. I have been helped two times by Sikhs. Once my son met with an accident (near our home, he had a slipped disk sort of thing which troubles him even now), a sikh gentleman brought him home. The second time, our family was going in the car and suddenly, the scooterists in front of us slipped and sustained head-injuries. To others it seemed as we had hit him. You perhaps know how it is in India, if the police had come then irrespective of whether we were at fault or not, we would have been booked. A sikh gentleman managed to convince the onlookers that we were not at fault and we were able to leave.

But now to the OP. What is your view of the relationship between Ek Onkar and us, two or one? I follow 'advaita' strictly. So, for me it is one, with everything in the universe, good or bad, living or non-living. No dvaita.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhs are encouraged to conquor this sense of separation of the self from the One and in doing so we merge in realisation with the One right here and now.

When we live with a perspective of haumai then we are always at odds with everything and are at the mercy of dualistic states of being; rich and poor, good and bad, high and low, sacred and profane, joy and suffering, love and hate. The quest is to transcend the tendency of our mind to haumai by continual rememberance (simran) of the Oneness.
Treks, I read your reply after I had answered to Gursikh. This brings me great happiness. So, I am confirmed in my view that Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji was a true interpreter of the Upanishads which present non-duality (there are others which favour duality). No problem, the contest between non-duality and duality is eternal in Hinduism. Thanks. May we many more peaceful discussions.

This does not mean that this OP is answered. I await reply from Gursikh and possibly others too.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
But now to the OP. What is your view of the relationship between Ek Onkar and us, two or one? I follow 'advaita' strictly. So, for me it is one, with everything in the universe, good or bad, living or non-living. No dvaita.

hi Aupmanyav ji ,

Ek means ONE , then how it can be two ? duality ,dvait is just an illusion .

जिनी इकु पछाणिआ दूजा भाउ चुकाइ ॥
Those who recognize the One renounce the love of duality.
गुरमुखि नामु पछाणीऐ नानक सचि समाइ ॥३॥२९॥६२॥
The Gurmukh recognizes the Naam, O Nanak, and is absorbed into the True One. ||3||29||62||:)

your advaita(non-duality) sounds compatible with Gurmat ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:) Not really, Gursikh; but it is somewhere near it at least in being "Ek". I am an atheist like Khushwant Singh. My brahman is 'physical energy' which is the cause of mass and all things in the universe.

Beena Jain

Jesus said, "Know ye not that ye are all Gods, and the spirit of God dwelleth in you." This spirit of God within us, the Higher Consciousness, is the monotheistic God. Otherwise, Heaven is full of Gods and Goddesses. We all used to be Gods or Goddesses in Heaven, but then we sinned and fell from Heaven, eventually landing here on earth which I believe is Hell. "Sloth" which means laziness led to our developing vanity which means ego. Vanity is believing ourselves to be superior when we are not. Sloth, Vanity, Envy, Greed, Lust, Anger, Gluttony(glutton for food, clothes, things) are the seven sins that led to our fall from Heaven. These sins here, lead to extremes of which sinning here is the resultant. This is why Buddha talks about no extremes here but the middle path, for then, sinning we won't do, and so will be free of at least this world Hell. Moving up, we can lose our major, minor sinnings, having lost dire sinning already in Hell. This is the way to Heaven, Moksh, Nirvan, Salvation, Freedom. We are then free from being bound in the Underworlds in pain and suffering. Enjoy Heavenly Life, Heaven. Back Home Everyone!

KMLSeattle

It's a blessing to find others talking about Sikhism since I am new and, so far, practicing in isolation. I read today that only God teaches the soul, but it is nice to know that others ponder these things as well. In this concept of non-duality, I understand now that it can also extend to feeling separate or "other" ourselves. This is a meaningful idea in my growth as a Sikh and my longing for more and more connection with Waheguru. I need to lay this at the feet of the Guru in my meditation so that I can begin to let it go. Thank you. KML