• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noahide Laws

gnostic

The Lost One
Since some posts have already discuss the issues of Noahide Laws, I am wondering if someone can provide a full list of these laws, and provide examples on how they apply.

Are these laws actually found in the bible? And are these laws superseded by the Mosiac laws?

Booko

Deviled Hen
gnostic said:
Since some posts have already discuss the issues of Noahide Laws, I am wondering if someone can provide a full list of these laws, and provide examples on how they apply.

Are these laws actually found in the bible? And are these laws superseded by the Mosiac laws?
  1. Idolatry is forbidden. Man is commanded to believe in the One G-d alone and worship only Him.
  2. Incestuous and adulterous relations are forbidden. Human beings are not sexual objects, nor is pleasure the ultimate goal of life.
  3. Murder is forbidden. The life of a human being, formed in G-d's image, is sacred.
  4. Cursing the name of G-d is forbidden. Besides honoring and respecting G-d, we learn from this precept that our speech must be sanctified, as that is the distinctive sign which separated man from the animals.
  5. Theft is forbidden. The world is not ours to do with as we please.
  6. Eating the flesh of a living animal is forbidden. This teaches us to be sensitive to cruelty to animals. (This was commanded to Noah for the first time along with the permission of eating meat. The rest were already given to Adam in the Garden of Eden.)
  7. Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice and a just social order to enforce the first six laws and enact any other useful laws or customs.
Whether these laws are superceded by Mosaic law depends on your pov. With a Baha'i pov, I'd say yes. The Jewish pov, I can't say, though it would seem that Mosaic law would apply to Jews anyway. Not to the rest of us.

I don't know how 5 of these are derived. The prohibition on murder if I remember right is in Genesis 9. The others are derived in some way I don't understand. I think I would have to know Hebrew.

I think it gets kinda abstruse and there's something in the Talmud about it.

gnostic

The Lost One
(7) (Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice) seemed to be not Noahide at all. This one look more like a later addition.

Deut 13:1

gnostic said:

Have you tried asking Noah??? www.asknoah.org

Fluffy

A fool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahide_Laws#Subdividing_the_Seven_Laws

These laws are found in the Bible but you will not find them collected and subdivided in this manner.

The Noahide laws and Mosaic laws overlap but are not contradictory so neither supercedes the other. The former applies to non-Jews and the latter applies to Jews.

(7) (Mankind is commanded to establish courts of justice) seemed to be not Noahide at all. This one look more like a later addition.

Why do you say that gnostic?