• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No jewish communities in my area

pixielou

Hello all, I hope someone can help me.

I live in england and have been reading, researching and reading some more about reformed Judaism and really feel in my heart that it's right for me. I understand it's a lengthy process to convert, which I am fine with.

However. There are no jewish communities or Rabbi's near me, I do not have the ability to move within this economy and I can't find any online Jewish forums to find more answers, so am hoping someone here could help me.

Pixie

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
I am interested in discussing reform Judaism with you. I live in a fairly isolated community as well.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

I live in england and have been reading, researching and reading some more about reformed Judaism and really feel in my heart that it's right for me. I understand it's a lengthy process to convert, which I am fine with.

However. There are no jewish communities or Rabbi's near me, I do not have the ability to move within this economy and I can't find any online Jewish forums to find more answers, so am hoping someone here could help me.

Pixie

What is the nearest large city?

pixielou

Thank you for the reply, not sure I made myself clear :( I live deep in the heart of Somerset, in the countryside, getting to Bristol or any where near Bristol, while two hours away in car would be a 3/4 hour journey for me as I do not drive, and use public transport. I have been on the reform website and checked all synnagogues in the south west and really wondered what happens when you cannot find a Jewish community? Or distance prevents such things.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
..., getting to Bristol or any where near Bristol, while two hours away in car would be a 3/4 hour journey for me as I do not drive, and use public transport.
It sounds like an exceptionally efficient public transportation system.

Did you call the synagogue and raise your problem with the Rabbi or, if the have one, outreach director?

pixielou

I mean 3 to 4 hours by public transport.

I am not part of a synagogue yet, so not sure who to call with regard to converting.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I mean 3 to 4 hours by public transport.

I am not part of a synagogue yet, so not sure who to call with regard to converting.

People who are thinking of converting are rarely part of a synagogue. You have a Progressive Synagogue in Bristol. I suggest that you call them if you're serious.

Poisonshady313

Ok. I am serious, just not sure what options there are for tutorage and such when distance is a factor.

I think what Jay is trying to say is, call the Rabbi in Bristol, ask him your questions. Explain to the Rabbi in Bristol your concerns about distance, let him help you figure something out.

CMike

Pixie
You are only interested in reform?

CMike

I think what Jay is trying to say is, call the Rabbi in Bristol, ask him your questions. Explain to the Rabbi in Bristol your concerns about distance, let him help you figure something out.
That's the way it sounds to me.

Call the synagogue and ask them.