• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No electric for six months

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Could you survive without electric for six months?
Three months?
Three days?:D

Edit....
Let me clarify... "I mean no electric, anywhere for 6 months!"
Sure. I'll visit the Amish for pointers. Learn some good jam and bread recipes and to patch up my clothes properly along with a nice warm quilt.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
You make many good points here, and the bottom line is (regarding past eras before electricity), life was often harsh and short for a lot of people. Disease and plague were major killers. Just being able to hunt or fish (or even farm under primitive conditions) probably wouldn't be enough. How many people know how to skin, butcher, and preserve the meat for long-term storage? If someone gets sick, do they have medicines, antibiotics? If someone falls and breaks a leg, do they know how to set the bone?

Are many people fit enough and strong enough to be able to handle the grueling physical tasks involved with surviving without electricity?

Certainly! And those are some of the many reasons that the life expectancy 150 years ago was 30-40 years - nearly half of what it is now. And not everyone back then was physically able to do all tasks as you've pointed out. Not to mention our slow development as children and high child mortality rates back then. We were always meant to live in communities.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And that's it. We as a society have became dependant on modern technology. People couldnt survive as they did 150 years ago. Probably even 100 years ago.
Does it really matter if the likelihood that you'll need skills for the modern age is greater than a pre-industrial age?

Also I find that most people who think they're survivalists have very little experience or context for what that means. Being a boy scout and able to make fire from sticks won't cut it long term. You need to know things like how to make lye and soap, how to preserve food/stretch food without sacrificing nutrients, how to do hard physical daily labor without injuring yourself, how to properly purify water (just boiling won't cut it, there's a reason why most cultures brewed their own alcohol), and most of all, how to be social. We are a communal species and lone wolves die. The biggest trick to survival success is having a community you can depend on.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
Does it really matter if the likelihood that you'll need skills for the modern age is greater than a pre-industrial age?

Also I find that most people who think they're survivalists have very little experience or context for what that means. Being a boy scout and able to make fire from sticks won't cut it long term. You need to know things like how to make lye and soap, how to preserve food/stretch food without sacrificing nutrients, how to do hard physical daily labor without injuring yourself, how to properly purify water (just boiling won't cut it, there's a reason why most cultures brewed their own alcohol), and most of all, how to be social. We are a communal species and lone wolves die. The biggest trick to survival success is having a community you can depend on.

People idealize survival as this thing that humans have become separate from and incapable of, when in reality, humans experience survival in the same way all social animals do. Very few animals can survive being dumped into an unfamiliar area, especially alone. And many animals cannot survive on their own at all. As you've mentioned, wolves usually die alone unless they can convince a pack to allow them in. Honeybees, bumble bees, etc. most certainly die very soon after being abandoned or lost. Dolphins, penguins, elephants, etc...... very few of those individuals could survive alone. Humans also evolved specifically to live in family groups and use intellect and farming to survive over brute strength and independence.

I seriously do not understand survival fetishists (not assuming anyone here is one). They act as though we've opposed the natural order of things when in reality our technological advancements and social nature are simply us following our evolutionary path or God/gods ordained role in the universe (not to say we couldn't do a better job, though).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I posted this not too long ago. It's from a TV series from back in 1978 which examined this very question of what would happen if there was no more electricity and outlined our complete dependence on technology.

""The Trigger Effect" details the world's present dependence on complex technological networks through a detailed narrative of New York City and the power blackout of 1965. Agricultural technology is traced to its origins in ancient Egypt and the invention of the plough. The segment ends in Kuwait where, because of oil, society leapt from traditional patterns to advanced technology in a period of only about 30 years."

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Three months?

Edit....

We went for 2 weeks without power, water and phones after a bad storm. The no power and phones was inconvenient but the no water was scary. After a few days they were bringing in water by boat, we got 4 litres a day per household, which was fine for me and the wife buy the people next door had triplets who were on formula. So we were giving half of ours to them, as were a few other people.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You need to know things like how to make lye and soap

Can do.

how to preserve food/stretch food without sacrificing nutrients

Can do.

how to do hard physical daily labor without injuring yourself

Can do.

how to properly purify water (just boiling won't cut it, there's a reason why most cultures brewed their own alcohol),

Nope.

and most of all, how to be social. We are a communal species and lone wolves die

Can do.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Humans have always survived.

Machine wasn't first. Life was.
No excuse for human greed by invention is a teaching.

Brothers chose it to own a rich man's lifestyle. We all paid the price.

Is the question....should I be allowed to experiment in heavens for a new electricity I theoried. Based on greed not need.

No as you get it now from very evil burnt sun history. The answer.

Hence solar power came into practice. But obviously isn't giving the greedy rich man his lifestyle. By amount of profit.

Men always have always produced invention for a better and natural way of life. Without giving away lifestyle.

As lifestyle depends on a bio heavens then theists should be motivated to use natural not invented resources.

No different today than before. We don't need to be superfried just because you say so.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Three months?

Edit....
I guess my hobby (living history, middle ages) has prepared me for such a calamity. Living in a rural area does help also. But it's a lot of work.
Today you can get a t-shirt for the equivalent of half an hours work. To make a t-shirt with medieval methods takes you a hundred hours (if you know what you are doing).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess my hobby (living history, middle ages) has prepared me for such a calamity. Living in a rural area does help also. But it's a lot of work.
Today you can get a t-shirt for the equivalent of half an hours work. To make a t-shirt with medieval methods takes you a hundred hours (if you know what you are doing).

But what if one of the flay rods goes out of skew on the treadle?