• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine Small Ways to Help the Universe

Super Universe

Defender of God
Nine Small Ways to Make the Universe Better

1) Plant a garden and an orchard. Growing your own fruit and vegetables helps increases the overall supply, reducing the price for others. Fruit and vegetables eaten soon after they are picked gives us more spiritual energy than dead food that has lost it's energy. Also any extra fruit and vegetables can be donated to your neighborhood soup kitchen or church homeless shelter.

2) Go solar. Four 208 watt solar panels can provide almost 800 watts on clear days. This is about 1/4 to 1/5 of an average families electricity use. The overall cost of this system (4 panels, inverter, wires, panel mount) is about $8,000 uninstalled but many states offer solar rebates, also this will reduce your monthly electric bill.

3) Fund a grant at your local high school. Maybe $150 grant for the best poetry submission or short story. It can easily be anonymous.

4) Buy a box full of used books and deliver them to your neighborhood junior high school to pass out to a class. Don't just lend literature to their library, give it away freely to young expanding minds to take home with them. Used books can be had for as little as $3 at Amazon.com. You can't go wrong with Shakespeare or The Best American Short Stories.

5) Create beauty. Plant a flower garden in your front yard. Surround yourself with ferns, peace lilies, and palms at work.

6) Pick up trash in your neighborhood and where you work. How these areas look reflects upon you. If some stranger drives down your street and tosses something out of their window, go pick it up and put it in the trash.

7) Replace electric heating with gas. Electric heating devices (electric ovens and electric space heaters) use many times the amount of energy than a gas device would use.

8) Replace regular light bulbs with fluorescent ones. Although they cost more ($3 each) fluorescent light bulbs emit 4 times the amount of light than regular bulbs. A 7 watt fluorescent bulb is equal to a 28 watt regular bulb in light emitted.

9) Smile more often.

9harmony

Super Universe said:
7) Replace electric heating with gas. Electric heating devices (electric ovens and electric space heaters) use many times the amount of energy than a gas device would use.

all wonderful ideas, but i'm not sure i agree with this one...i work with low income families helping them avoid disconnects of utilities, and those that use gas or propane have much, much larger bills than those that use electricity.

i've seen as small as $40 for all electric to $500 for natural gas or propane per month.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
9harmony said:
all wonderful ideas, but i'm not sure i agree with this one...i work with low income families helping them avoid disconnects of utilities, and those that use gas or propane have much, much larger bills than those that use electricity.

i've seen as small as $40 for all electric to $500 for natural gas or propane per month.
Yes, the gas is more expensive, but is more energy efficient. Not everyone can afford the luxury of energy efficiency unfortunately.