• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice Find! "Parvati" head (Gauri) - circa?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Nice Find! "Parvati" head (Gauri) - circa?

I purchased the following "Parvati head" on eBay which arrived today (detailed photos below) for $99.99.

I am looking for any Indophiles who might have expertise to shed light on it's region, circa date of creation, how the brass head is typically incoroprated into use. I personally plan on using this brass Parvati Head as part of a major "project" of mine to establish an Annapurna Murti. It is hollow inside, consists of two parts - the front mask and the back of the Head - welded or cast together as one piece.

rGIqIw.jpg

My gut is, the region is Jodhpur. It is modern, since on the lower back of the neck in very tiny punch mark is the word in capital letters I N D I A - but the punch mark dots that spell the word India are not punched in but are like tiny buttons projecting outward. This means on the cast use to make the head, the craftmaker pushed the punch marks as dots INWARD on the actual cast mold itself thus the word "INDIA" would be raised dots extending out when the brass is poured into the mold.

SZhG70.jpg

Obviously, the word "INDIA" would not be used on an old piece, if there were any words punched they would be in Devanagari or other Indian script and not English.

But the brass is old, but no real patina, yet old, I can tell. If I were guessing, it is circa 1940s AD, but I could be wrong. The word INDIA may indicate it was for trade to a larger market.

I have seen similar Heads, always identified as either "Parvati" or "Gauri" or "Goddess" Head. There is a murti I have seen in India which clearly has such a Head, even the same size but not exactly the same, which has the Head attached to a body, paint on the face, and clothed.

I also found what looks like the exact same head on Pinterest, painted on the face for the eye brows, lips, eye pupils, and wearing headdress. The murti I mentioned I saw using very like head had a nose ring.

This Head has a hole for a nose ring for the Devi's own left nostril. There is a hair lung on the top of the rather baldly looking head clearly with gaps such that a wig or headdress can be attached to the lung. There is a half-S hook attached to the back of the Head which I think can be used to attach an elaborate crown. The "ears" are rather lacking features of an ear but have knobs which either could pass for ear ornaments or as knobs to attach actual plated silver or other metal ears or actual ornaments of some type afterwards as part of "dressing the Idol".

C5ekoi.jpg

There are very tiny but not excessive use of little ring punch marks to mark the beginnings of a hairline on the baldy head in the front which then become sparse and conservative use of "scratch like" marks of hair on the back of the head, then the hairline of the back of the head is marked by backward Z marks.

The same "pipe" or tube tool used to punch mark the little ring punch marks along the front hairline was also used to punch a dot dead center on the lower chin, and one dot which may representna birth mark on the Devi's own right lower cheek not too far from the lips.

jduF2y.jpg

There is an "Royal" style necklace, more Bengali style of Muslim influence, attached behind - but not to - each ear, and welded or heated to the center of the neck, but the necklace otherwise is detached from the Head. I say "Bengali" in that it looks like the "Royal" style necklace (verse skulls) I have seen on Kali Murtis, but the face of this Devi is in no way Bengali but without question, to me at least, Rajasthani in appearance as seen on ****ala Devi. This same necklace, though not exactly the same which here tapers more thinly as it rises to the upper sides of the neck, is like the very elaborate beaded necklace of Gangaur the Goddess in Rajastan.

But the Gangaur festival celebrate of harvest is also celebrated in West Bengal. So this may very well be a Bengali style necklace even though the face is very much Rajastani Gangaur Devi.

The tilak or bindi or head mark on Her forehead is:

Bgxljg.jpg

- Lotus Tear Mark - Lotus Eye but only ornamental and not with pupil...

- Under which is again a small punchmark dot using the same punch tool inside a North facing Crescent Moon...

- And under this Crescent yet another punchmark dot.

- This same forehead mark can be seen on Rajastani Goddess Gangaur. But also ****ala Devi found in Jodhpur and in Varanasi. ****ala in West Bengal does not have this mark.

I plan on attaching this beautiful Gauri Head, which might be Ganguar, to a wooden body and I still need to locate two metal hands, a ladle (brass) and a pot, to establish an Annapurna Devi Murti. The Head is 3 and 1/2 inches wide ear to ear, and 4 and 1/2 inches tall from lung to neck.

The difficulty to this project is locating the hands. One hand would need to have fingers mostly closed but with a gap such that the ladle or spoon can be piped in. The other hand can be in any position but will have a pot either in arm or hanging.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sorry about the ears. Cant understand what she has on the head. Timania* (necklace with three rows of jewels is popular in Rajasthan). The features are nondescript. I have heard that brass is kept in wet soil to make it look old. The word India could have been punched before joining the two sides. The punch mark on the chin and near the lips is a common tattoo among villagers and tribals. We make our Gods and Goddesses in our own image. Nothing much to say that it is from Rajasthan.

* The Timaniya Story: Our maid servant in Jodhpur had a beautiful one of gold (pure 22 carat old gold), which weighed around a pound (with lacquer and stones). Kept with us for a loan. The loan was repaid, of course, no interest, her family was with us for generations, and timaniya returned. It was given to a trader for a similar loan after we moved to Delhi. The trader's premises were raided by Income Tax people who confiscated the timaniya. Even after the loan was returned, the timaniya was not returned to them and reported lost. They could not do much because the whole transaction was on faith. We sold our ancestral house in Jodhpur to the grandson of the lady as she requested us on her death-bed. Even before selling, the family was living in the house as care-takers and had continued to worship the idols of our puja. They got our silver Puja 'simhasan' (one pound) and deity idols and a small gold 'chhatra' for free because the daughter-in-law of the lady said that she had been worshiping them for 40 years, nearly whole her life. Well, no problem. Hari Ichha, as the deities will. We are not poorer for it.

Here is a remodelled version of our ancestral house (ground floor) in Jodhpur. It was a small house, not sold for a long time because of family connection. My uncle and father, and us five brothers grew up in this house. Our navel cords are buried at the entrance where I have shown a sofa (that is tradition, confirming our right to the house - 'Yahan kya tumhari naal gadi hai?' 'Is your navel cord buried here'. 'Haan, yahan meri naal gadi hai' 'Yes, my navel cord is buried here'). The puja is where I have shown a dining table. The kitchen is where I have shown the stairs. We had two more (bigger) houses just near it. If we had them today, they could have been used as one Guest house with a garden in front. :)
BNR.jpg
bbb7ef27c5e3aebdc1b0abb6abaad6f3.jpg
designer-gold-necklace-set-250x250.jpg
Timania

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Sorry about the ears. Cant understand what she has on the head. Timania* (necklace with three rows of jewels is popular in Rajasthan). The features are nondescript. I have heard that brass is kept in wet soil to make it look old. The word India could have been punched before joining the two sides. The punch mark on the chin and near the lips is a common tattoo among villagers and tribals. We make our Gods and Goddesses in our own image. Nothing much to say that it is from Rajasthan.

* The Timaniya Story: Our maid servant in Jodhpur had a beautiful one of gold (pure 22 carat old gold), which weighed around a pound. Kept with us for a loan. The loan was repaid, of course, no interest, her family was with us for generations, and timaniya returned. It was given to a trader for a similar loan after we moved to Delhi. The trader's premises were raided by Income Tax people who confiscated the timaniya. Even after the loan was returned, the timaniya was not returned to them and reported lost. They could not do much because the whole transaction was on faith. We sold our ancestral house in Jodhpur to the grandson of the lady as she requested us on her death-bed. Even before selling, the family was living in the house as care-takers and had continued to worship the idols of our puja. They got our silver Puja 'simhasan' (one pound) and deity idols and a small gold 'chhatra' for free because the daughter-in-law of the lady said that she had been worshiping them for 40 years, nearly whole her life. Well, no problem. Hari Ichha, as the deities will. We are not poorer for it.

Here is a remodelled version of our ancestral house in Jodhpur. It was a small house, not sold for a long time because of family connection. My uncle and father, and us five brothers grew up in this house. Our navel cords are buried at the entrance where I have shown a sofa (that is tradition, confirming our right to the house). The puja is where I have shown a dining table. The kitchen is where I have shown the stairs. We had two more (bigger) houses just near it. If we had them today, they could have been used as one Guest house with a garden in front. :)
View attachment 12579

A wonderful historical life-log! You should write a book, very eengaging Aup. Thank you so much for sharing this!