• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next best similar religion

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I love Zoroastrianism but it doesn't look like there are too many of them in the U.S. What's a similar religion that you could actually find a place to worship? Zoroastrians don't actually attend a religious service, right?

Union jack

Well, I read up on Zoroastrianism on wiki and discovered that it is considered a universalist religion with respect to salvation; so I think we're back to the Universal Utilitarian solution.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Thirza,

Have you come across any Zoroastrian Centers in Florida? Are you willing to convert and go full-time, or is this window shopping? Zoroastrians (Parsis and Perso-Iranians) have a hard time accepting converts as it is along with apostates. And, it isn't universalist as UnionJack put it to be. That would be downplaying the greatness of Mazdayasnism: it is esoteric spiritually as well as socially. Zoroastrianism doesn't have a history of proselytizing. It is anti-proselytizing. Its current cornerstone is ethnic based identity. The only conflicting fact here is that the two Persian Empires that were vehemently Zoroastrian (Achaemenid and Sassanian) ruled over a vast multitude of people of different faiths. Only on few occasions were converts accepted. All the Iranic language speakers were accepted, but you rarely have examples of Greek, Arabic, Western Scythian, Abyssinian, Egyptian, Akkadian, Hurrian converts to Zoroastrianism. And, this is where it gets tricky. But, I do hope you find a faith that is truly meant for you. My advice would be to research as much as you can and take as much time as you can. Jumping into something only find out that it isn't for you will hurt not only you but the sentiments of those already in the faith as well, especially certain faiths that despise apostasy.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
मैत्रावरुणिः;3464625 said:
Thirza,

Have you come across any Zoroastrian Centers in Florida? Are you willing to convert and go full-time, or is this window shopping? Zoroastrians (Parsis and Perso-Iranians) have a hard time accepting converts as it is along with apostates. And, it isn't universalist as UnionJack put it to be. That would be downplaying the greatness of Mazdayasnism: it is esoteric spiritually as well as socially. Zoroastrianism doesn't have a history of proselytizing. It is anti-proselytizing. Its current cornerstone is ethnic based identity. The only conflicting fact here is that the two Persian Empires that were vehemently Zoroastrian (Achaemenid and Sassanian) ruled over a vast multitude of people of different faiths. Only on few occasions were converts accepted. All the Iranic language speakers were accepted, but you rarely have examples of Greek, Arabic, Western Scythian, Abyssinian, Egyptian, Akkadian, Hurrian converts to Zoroastrianism. And, this is where it gets tricky. But, I do hope you find a faith that is truly meant for you. My advice would be to research as much as you can and take as much time as you can. Jumping into something only find out that it isn't for you will hurt not only you but the sentiments of those already in the faith as well, especially certain faiths that despise apostasy.

There is a group in Orlando that I am in touch with. They had a get together last Saturday that I couldn't make. Perhaps they will keep me in mind for next time they get together. I guess I'm looking into it right now. Thanks!

Zoroastrian religion is Parsiism in India, it is closely related to Mithraism.
Any of the Christian cults would be similar . . . you need to have a 'good guy/god' and a 'bad guy/devil' and a theme of sacrifice & salvation.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Zoroastrian religion is Parsiism in India, it is closely related to Mithraism.
Any of the Christian cults would be similar . . . you need to have a 'good guy/god' and a 'bad guy/devil' and a theme of sacrifice & salvation.

Works for me, but not so interested in Christianity anymore.

InquisitiveScholar

Wanting to learn it all..
Hello Thirza,

I am an American born citizen and for most of my life I never even knew about Zoroastrianism until now. I talked with another member of the site named Shahz. After talking with him he helped me to fill in the gaps about Zoroastianism. He explained that converting, although usually not accepted by the Parsi sect, is more than welcomed by the Western version . Contact him, he can help you out. I know it is hard, I wanted to visit the temple in Florida when I went there, but I couldn't make the 4 hour drive. I am a convert living in Missouri, and there are no temples anywhere close to me, so I know how tough it can be.

Sincerely,
Inquisitive Scholar

Reactions: MD