• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Red Beans and Rice

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Here's a variation of the classic dish Mark Twain loved, if you want to pronounce it like an old local pretend it's spelled "Naw'lins". If you're ever down there and don't want to look like a "Yankee", refrain from using the term "Big Easy" or pronouncing New Orleans with a long e (pronounce it like it's an i instead of ea), it's affectionately known as the Crescent City because of where/how it sits on the Mississippi.
Anyway, for this you'll need the following:
  • 3 picnic sized cans (roughly 32oz) of red beans (you can use dry beans but canned is soo much easier)
  • 1 1/2-2 lbs of smoked sausage
  • 8oz tomato sauce
  • 1 4oz can of cut green chillies
  • 5-7 cloves of garlic
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 2 cups of parboiled dried white rice
  • 1 ts anchovy paste (It's not going to have a fishy taste)
  • 2-3 Bay leaves
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 1/2 cup of coffee
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • Aged cayenne pepper sauce (Franks [mild] or Tabasco [hot] is good)
  • 4-6 ts Vegetable oil

Note: For the best results when using wine in cooking follow this rule "If it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with". For coffee it doesn't matter if it's fresh brewed or in the fridge from 3 days ago.

The first step to all of this is to dice up the onion and garlic, and cut the sausage into bite size bits. Coat the bottom of your pot with some of the the vegetable oil, and throw in you sausage, garlic, and onion. Sauté it on med to med high heat until the onions are light brown keeping it stirred, and be careful not to let the garlic stick to the bottom too much and burn.
After the onions are lightly caramelized add the wine, worcestershire, green chillies, bay leaf, and coffee. Reduce the mix down, then add your beans, tomato sauce, anchovy paste, and add the hot sauce to the general liking of spiciness of the people you're going to be serving this to.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer cook for approx. 2 hours stirring occasionaly to make sure it isn't sticking to the bottom until the beans get nice and creamy, add salt if needed. A short cut or if you're using old dried beans, is to take a cup or 2 of the beans and mash them.
I know there's a few ways to cook rice but the one I stick to is to cook the rice like pasta. Fill a separate pot with water, bring the water to a boil add the rice. Like fine pasta you have to keep it all stirred until the water comes back to a boil and then stir occasionally until the rice is tender, takes about 10-15 minutes, drain add vegetable oil to the pot and put the rice back in mixing it up with the oil, cover if you're still waiting on the beans.
When the rice and beans are done scoop a generous helping of rice and ladle the beans on top, serve with buttered french bread and beer.

Red Beans and rice recipes vary from family to family so experiment, like add some celery (or celery seed if you want a milder celery flavor).

Note:You can also cook the beans the day before and let them sit in the fridge over night, like gumbo the older the this stuff gets the better the flavor is. Another short cut is to use Blue runner spicy cream style red beans to cut your cooking time dramatically, can be found at Wal-Mart, just let it cook on a low med heat when you add the beans until hot.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Mmm. Sounds good! My mom made her family's traditional red beans and rice recipe when I was growing up. It was always a two-nighter and the second night was the best. The main difference I see is that she would add a hamhock to the soup for flavor (and for my dad to munch on). Also, I don't recall any coffee going into the mix. Interesting! Thanks for sharing a delicious recipe many might not be familiar with!

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Coffee is a trick allot of Texans like to use in their homemade chili recipes, and my family has been experimenting with it in other applications for years now, it's one of those things that add a tasteful complexity to the dish some people never figure out.